PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A somewhat realistic trade that could make a lot of sense: TE Tony Gonzalez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is a real possibility with the julio news.

Right. Until then it was silly; when teams can win the Super Bowl at 8-8, 1-4 isn't a reason to quit on the season, or to let the fans realize you're quitting on the season.

On the other hand -- losing Jones AND Gonzalez would be ugly.

There is a 5-0 team Gonzalez has a connection with that could use his services and be a feel good NFL swan song. Alex Smith is playing some nice conservative QB....but to beat Denver, he needs more options.
Two birds/one stone....seems more plausible. But you never know

Sadly, that's an excellent point.

Not very realistic at all. If there ever was a trade I'd assume it would be to Kansas City.

However, watching the Falcons the last 2 weeks and the mugging at the LOS by 2 or 3 defenders I can't help but wonder how freaking awesome he would be with Gronkowski on the other side. There would be some uncoverable sets and formations. One can dream I guess. If it guaranteed a championship I'd give up a lot but no one has a crystal ball.

I call that the Redskins thought process.

Belichick manages this team with a balance of being competitive year in and year out. He has never mortgaged the future for the short term.

If they traded a 4th rounder for Gonzalez, then missed the post season they've got **** all to show for that 4th rounder which is bad value.

Randy Moss for a 4th was a no-brainer because he wasn't a guy who had been on the brink of retirement.

How about the 3rd rounders for both Derrick Burgess (+ a 5th) and Duane Starks? They played a combined 4 games in the NFL after their one year with the Pats.

Okay, let me take the other side here. Why would Gonzalez think that this Pats team gives him a good chance to win the superbowl?

Okay, let me take the other side here. Why would Gonzalez think that this Pats team gives him a good chance to win the superbowl?

Tom Brady
Gronk
Amendola, Edelman
Great run game (Vereen, Ridley)

The past 2 years we've lost the SuperBowl and lost the AFCCG with 1 healthy TE and a bottom 5-ish Defense. Factor in 2 TEs (Gronk And Gonzalez) and arguably the best Patriots D in 5 or 6 years, and it should be a no brainer

Belichick loves Gonzalez but would he trade a 4th or a 5th rounder for a 1/2 season rental?

Atlanta won't trade Gonzalez for a 6th, imo.

Gronk and Gonzalez would be great and Dmitroff's connection to the organization might make it feasible. Unless he hates Belichick.

Links or this isn't real. I remember BB making light of Gonz in the probowl for not blocking.

It would be one of the best trades, if NE would give up a #1 or #2 pick, and make a huge impact. Maybe a shockey trade SB win, but your talking about the Vikings giving up AP.
The Falcons are gonzalez, hes is their best player. It will cost alot and I dont see NE doing that.
These are usually done before the season I thought. Shmitty is trying to save his career now.

It would be one of the best trades, if NE would give up a #1 or #2 pick, and make a huge impact. Maybe a shockey trade SB win, but your talking about the Vikings giving up AP.
The Falcons are gonzalez, hes is their best player. It will cost alot and I dont see NE doing that.
These are usually done before the season I thought. Shmitty is trying to save his career now.
If Gonzalez were available, he wouldn't cost much at all. It'd literally be a half-season rental before he retires. We're talking a late 3rd maybe from some super desperate team that thinks he guarantees them a Super Bowl win. More likely a fourth or fifth.

If Gonzalez were available, he wouldn't cost much at all. It'd literally be a half-season rental before he retires. We're talking a late 3rd maybe from some super desperate team that thinks he guarantees them a Super Bowl win. More likely a fourth or fifth.

im just saying, bet it wont work without a #1 or #2 or serious cash. ALT is badly coached , but there not crazy. shmittys job hangs on gonz winning games for them and being 8-8.
What good is a trade to him, when hes working at popeyes next year :)

Just having some mental fun:

Mallet for Gordon
5th or 6th for Cassel
4th or 5th for Gonzalez

QB1 = Brady
QB2 = Cassel

RB1 = Ridley
RB2 = Vereen
RB3 = Blount
RB4/RB5 = Bolden/Washington

TE1 = Gronk
TE2 = Gonzalez

WR1 = Amendola
WR2 = Gordon
WR3 = Edelman
WR4 = Thompkins
WR5 = Dobson
WR6 = Boyce

LT1 = Solder
LG1 = Mankins
C1 = Connolly
RG1 = Cannon
RT1 = Vollmer

OT3 = Svitek
RG2 = Connolly
C2 = Wendell

Make those moves and, as long as Gordon doesn't get rung up by the Ommissioner again, the Patriots would be looking at an offseason with very few needs beyond depth (TE2, DT,S). Gordon would be under contract for about $875k in 2014 and about $1.1m in 2015, so that wouldn't be a rental pick. Even if they needed to sweeten the Mallet/Gordon deal a bit, this would be an interesting, and promising, series of moves, IMO.

This wouldn't be an horrendous idea if the price were right. I think a fourth would be a desperate reach but some would argue that we are at that stage (although I disagree). A fifth with maybe another later round pick from another year bundled in.

As already mentioned, his only reason for not retiring is competing for another ring. Saying that, with four losses, to give up on the season would be horrendous. We have seen turnarounds before and Atlanta have the talent...Julio Jones is an horrendous blow to that talent pool however.

I don't realistically see it. Atlanta won't give up on their season...yet...and Gonzalez doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would give up on them...yet!

I for one miss the offseason thread topic about how we have too many TEs and need to trade away one for a good draft pick

I for one miss the offseason thread topic about how we have too many TEs and need to trade away one for a good draft pick

A pick we could now be using to acquire Tony Gonzalez :cool:

Just having some mental fun:

Mallet for Gordon
5th or 6th for Cassel
4th or 5th for Gonzalez

QB1 = Brady
QB2 = Cassel

RB1 = Ridley
RB2 = Vereen
RB3 = Blount
RB4/RB5 = Bolden/Washington

TE1 = Gronk
TE2 = Gonzalez

WR1 = Amendola
WR2 = Gordon
WR3 = Edelman
WR4 = Thompkins
WR5 = Dobson
WR6 = Boyce

LT1 = Solder
LG1 = Mankins
C1 = Connolly
RG1 = Cannon
RT1 = Vollmer

OT3 = Svitek
RG2 = Connolly
C2 = Wendell

Make those moves and, as long as Gordon doesn't get rung up by the Ommissioner again, the Patriots would be looking at an offseason with very few needs beyond depth (TE2, DT,S). Gordon would be under contract for about $875k in 2014 and about $1.1m in 2015, so that wouldn't be a rental pick. Even if they needed to sweeten the Mallet/Gordon deal a bit, this would be an interesting, and promising, series of moves, IMO.

Normally I hate these MLB style trade topic threads but this thread has a fun aspect.

The trade deadline is week 8 now. If the Falcons are 1-6/2-5 then they might do it. I would think that Gonzalez would do it. I could see a 4th or 5th. I would absolutely be a great idea!!

The trade deadline is week 8 now. If the Falcons are 1-6/2-5 then they might do it. I would think that Gonzalez would do it. I could see a 4th or 5th. I would absolutely be a great idea!!

Falcons play the Bucs and Cardinals next. Doubt they lose to Tampa. Hopefully Arizona can beat them and put them in a hole that makes them open to trading Gonzalez, which is hopefully to NE

Falcons play the Bucs and Cardinals next. Doubt they lose to Tampa. Hopefully Arizona can beat them and put them in a hole that makes them open to trading Gonzalez, which is hopefully to NE

They could be missing both Jones and White:

The injury-ravaged Atlanta Falcons are concerned that wide receiver Roddy White could miss at least one game because of a left hamstring injury, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

White, who also is nursing a sprained right ankle, pulled his hamstring during Monday night's loss to the New York Jets.

The injury has some in the Falcons organization believing that White could miss multiple games, the sources told Schefter.

Tedy Bruschi's take is that Gonzalez wouldn't want the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back