PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A. J. McCarron as the Heir Apparent for Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gwedd and Gwedd like this.

nice...getting double likes now, eh ol' timer?

All of this is FM: Frikkin' Magic. :D

I just type and when I hit "enter" it's out of my hands. Sigh.

there's a joke about my sex life in that response somewhere....:D

Brady is signed through 2017 if I am not mistaken so that means he is going to play 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. For the reason I would not draft A. J. McCarron because essentially he would be entering UFA the year Brady was retired and we would have to pay him or lose him. The heir apparent to Brady needs to be drafted in the 2016 or 2017 NFL drafts, which would give him 1-2 years behind Brady before taking over at the start of 2018.

I do like AJ as a player however, I just do not think he fit ideally for the Patriots right now.

You're going to have to put someone behind Brady the next couple of years. Mallett won't be sticking around, I expect. Getting someone in the draft will be a lot cheaper on the cap than grabbing a Hoyer or a Cassel to sit behind Brady in 2015 and 2016.

New draft metric: when undecided between two players, go with the guy with the hotter girlfriend.

New draft metric: when undecided between two players, go with the guy with the hotter girlfriend.

If I'm the Jest, I might consider that strategy given what "scouting" has accomplished in recent years.

Nothing personal against the guy, but if he went to any other college, he would be just another undrafted QB (or maybe selected in the 7th round) and not considered a pro prospect.

But hey, I guess some people gotta help get Brady out the door. Couple years ago Mallett was the "heir apparent".... now it's McCarron..... I wonder who it will be 2 years from now?

This is a very touchy subject, life post Brady...but one that will be discussed more and more as time goes on.

Can we find our Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Andrew luck successor without a huge drop-off?

Those 3 are the gold standard following HOF QB's. Odds are against us. McCarron is the style of QB I would prefer to Mallet's big arm style. Would be happy to see us draft him late. Not sure where he is projected.

As long as he leaves his Mom at home.
The answer is no. So you go back to the beginning and build a great defense as TFB enters his twilight. That D carries the team until his replacement can.

I would welcome the move. If he is available in a later round, I hope they grab him. Some have suggested he will have the best career of this year's QBs...

The truth is, that BB is doing it right : he continues to grab new QBs in most drafts and it's a crapshoot. One year, if he keeps drafting QBs, he might hit on one and get a superior player. And when you hit on a QB, the value is so so so much higher than when you get another position (usually).

Grab him late and next year he becomes the backup QB. And maybe he pans out.

You're going to have to put someone behind Brady the next couple of years. Mallett won't be sticking around, I expect. Getting someone in the draft will be a lot cheaper on the cap than grabbing a Hoyer or a Cassel to sit behind Brady in 2015 and 2016.

This is true but I cannot see drafting a player like McCarron who would probably require the use of the #62 pick to backup Brady when we could sign any number of UFA veterans to do the job as bridge to the heir apparent selected in 2016 or 2017.

Mallett was a special circumstance he was a great talent in a draft that was not that deep, this draft is about as deep a draft as there has been and the #62 pick will net a first round talent. McCarron would be a good pick but he is not the type of talent Mallett was in 2011, he does not offer the intriguing upside that could generate a huge return on the investment.

The only category McCarron can compete with Brady in:

katherine-webb-alabama.jpg

vs.

Gisele-Bundchen.jpg

Besides that, I'll pass.

Those ladies look nice, but what kind of personalities do they have?

Okay, that was a joke. I don't care.

Nothing personal against the guy, but if he went to any other college, he would be just another undrafted QB (or maybe selected in the 7th round) and not considered a pro prospect.

But hey, I guess some people gotta help get Brady out the door. Couple years ago Mallett was the "heir apparent".... now it's McCarron..... I wonder who it will be 2 years from now?

I disagree with this. Your argument is the same as people talking about Brady his first few years as a systems QB (obviously wasn't true). Mccaron, his last two years he had 58 TD passes and 10 INTs. TEN ! Almost 6 to 1 TD to int ratio. And really, no superstar receivers or tight ends on those teams.

If he's there in the 4th round I'd love to draft him. He's a winner.

I disagree with this. Your argument is the same as people talking about Brady his first few years as a systems QB (obviously wasn't true). Mccaron, his last two years he had 58 TD passes and 10 INTs. TEN ! Almost 6 to 1 TD to int ratio. And really, no superstar receivers or tight ends on those teams.

McCarron's Pass to INT ratio is better than 200:1

IOW, he has more than 200 passes for every INT. I'd say that was pretty good. And yeah, no all-world type receivers on any of those teams.

I'm sticking by Rohan Davey myself.. ;)

Although it will be fun to keep an eye on who the Pats take at QB somewhere in the draft, bear in mind that the backup QB is and always will be the most under-rated player on the team.

I like McCarron too but I'm not ready to put him Canton just yet - especially seeing as he's yet to be drafted. ... in fact I'm already hearing rumors that just the speculation that the Pats might be interested in him is going to make him worth a 1st round pick in trade! :D

I disagree with this. Your argument is the same as people talking about Brady his first few years as a systems QB (obviously wasn't true).
Brady inherited a team that was 5-13 over the past 18 games. McCarron inherited the best team in college football. If he was at any other school, he would be just another 7th rounder or potential undrafted free agent.
Mccaron, his last two years he had 58 TD passes and 10 INTs.
Marcus Mariota has 63 TD's against 10 INT's over the same time period and is a superior QB in just about every way.
So you want a 4th rounder draft pick to take over for the greatest QB of all time?

There's a reason no one thinks he will be taken until day 3. Think about it.

Any QB that is content with sitting it not a guy I want on my team. Sounds like he'd be happy by doing nothing to collect six figures. Not impressed with McCarron. Another Alabama player that looks better than he is because of the team around him.

Any QB that is content with sitting it not a guy I want on my team. Sounds like he'd be happy by doing nothing to collect six figures. Not impressed with McCarron. Another Alabama player that looks better than he is because of the team around him.

Shut up.

Brady inherited a team that was 5-13 over the past 18 games. McCarron inherited the best team in college football. If he was at any other school, he would be just another 7th rounder or potential undrafted free agent.
Marcus Mariota has 63 TD's against 10 INT's over the same time period and is a superior QB in just about every way.
So you want a 4th rounder draft pick to take over for the greatest QB of all time?

Well, since you are the expert in all things football, I will defer to you. Obviously Mccarron sucks and is a horrible QB and shouldn't even be drafted.

Seriously? I'm trying to remember which round Brady was drafted in..... Hmmm... let me think now.......

No one is saying that McCarron should come in and take Brady's spot. That's ludicrous on the face of it, but AJ would be a great choice to groom for that day when Badyy opts to retire, or even, God Forbid, he gets IR'd during a season. Mallett might be good, but he's not as good as Cassel was then.

Unless you are an Auburn or LSU fan, I don't understand your thinking process.

Oh, and.......

ROLL TIDE!

I like his mom. Is that wrong?

There's some serious irony in there, don't ya think? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST