PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A. J Hawk Would you do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As I was sitting through a boring all day seminar today, I just happened to have my draft trade chart handy.:cool: I don't have it now so I'll have to go from memory.

If Hawk was at the #5 position with GB. The value of that pick is 1700 points. If we traded out first round this year ( 800 points) and our #1 pick next year at #32 (590 points), plus our #86 pick this year and a 5th rounder this year, we could do it.

Question is: Would we be willing to do that for a great player but only one player? Is it really worth it?

As I said, I was really bored.

Call me nuts but when I watch player highlights Bobby Carpenter seems to look way more explosive then Hawk. Even in the Hawk highlights Carpenter is mostly in on Hawks plays.

MrTibbs said:
Call me nuts but when I watch player highlights Bobby Carpenter seems to look way more explosive then Hawk. Even in the Hawk highlights Carpenter is mostly in on Hawks plays.
I have to agree somewhat. Ohio State is one of the few teams i saw with any regularity, and Hawk looked good, but not really better than Carpenter.
Now granted I was'nt glued to the set, analyzing every play, but Carpenter looked as good. He was all over the field and seemingly always near the ball.
Making plays left and right. I like Carpenter a lot.

Hawk is nice too though.

If you want to give that draft chart a workout, go to the "Da Bears" thread.

PFnV

I have never believed that one great player is ever better than 2 good ones.

I never have believed in using anything higher than a late 3 to move up.

I would never, ever, ever do the 2 firsts for a high first that teams do, and you would have an awful lot of convincing to do to get me to trade my 1 and 2 to move up in the first. It makes no sense at all to me.

I agree way way too much...is ONE player that much betetr??? WOuld have to be MOUNTAINS and then some...

Nope. But nice try :)

MrTibbs said:

You are nuts. By the way it is not worth it.

AndyJohnson said:

I would never, ever, ever do the 2 firsts for a high first that teams do, and you would have an awful lot of convincing to do to get me to trade my 1 and 2 to move up in the first. It makes no sense at all to me.

Would you give up 2 firsts for, say, the functional equivalent of Bobby Orr?

AndyJohnson said:

I absolutely agree with that. I could never understand teams giving up multiple high round picks to move. Doing this is out of desperation. As an example, SF 49rs, a team with many holes to fill trades a 2 and a 3 to get another first. There is a reason bad teams remain bad.

Patriotic Fervor said:
Would you give up 2 firsts for, say, the functional equivalent of Bobby Orr?

I would certainly give up two firsts for Brady!

I think the whole draft value system is way out of wack. The beginning of the first round is really overvalued. Its too the point where if I was a team I would always trade my pick if it was in the top ten because the bunch of extra picks you get in reality are usually worth more than the one player. Just another way hype affects the NFL.

I wouldn't do it either. I was just posing the question.

I'm going a bit ****oo, like all of us, with all these possible scenarios. But I feel that a point AJ and others have raised in this thread and others - that getting 2 or 3 'good' players is better than getting a single superstar - is just plain wrong.

That's like saying three Jarvis Greens would be better than one Richard Seymour. Or that 2 Eugene Wilsons would have been better than one Rodney Harrison, four Beisels better than one Bruschi, five Andre Davis's better than one Deion Branch, or two Faurias better than one Watson, etc. Would you really like to have three Micheal Vicks instead of one Tom Brady? And wouldn't three Eugene Wilsons be worth the wicked impact of one Ed Reed?

The bottom line is there are a very few players who can truly excel at this level and the more of those players you have the more games you will win - assuming the coaching/management matches the onfield talent.

zippo59 said:
I think the whole draft value system is way out of wack. The beginning of the first round is really overvalued. Its too the point where if I was a team I would always trade my pick if it was in the top ten because the bunch of extra picks you get in reality are usually worth more than the one player.

Couldn't agree more.....nice post. My beef is more w/ the top 5 as opposed to the top 10, but your basic premise is right on IMO.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
The bottom line is there are a very few players who can truly excel at this level and the more of those players you have the more games you will win - assuming the coaching/management matches the onfield talent.

In a sense, the more important question is this: would anyone have traded two first rounders for Tom Brady back when he was drafted? I doubt it.

Yes, Reggie Bush has the potential to be a once-in-a-decade player. He also has the potential of suffering a Rodney Harrison-type injury the first day of training camp, too.

It's all a question of how much risk you're willing to dump in one basket, so to speak.

PATSNUTme said:
As I was sitting through a boring all day seminar today, I just happened to have my draft trade chart handy.:cool: I don't have it now so I'll have to go from memory.

If Hawk was at the #5 position with GB. The value of that pick is 1700 points. If we traded out first round this year ( 800 points) and our #1 pick next year at #32 (590 points), plus our #86 pick this year and a 5th rounder this year, we could do it.

Question is: Would we be willing to do that for a great player but only one player? Is it really worth it?

As I said, I was really bored.

No. <+extra chars>

There is no way I would ever do that for A.J. Hawk. Reggie Bush..... I would have to give that serious consideration but for Hawk its an easy: No! :rocker:

MrTibbs said:

You know, I just watched the PVN draft preview footage of Carpenter and Hawk and Greenway, and I have got to say... I think Carpenter came across as the best player of the three.

Plus, I loved what he had to say during his interview, about modeling his game after Vrabel. He seemed like a grounded, serious, professional player. (And Belichick coached his Dad with the Giants.)

Hawk looked faster, but he seemed to be grasping to make his tackles, while Carpenter was running over guys with his entire body. I remember last season, the commentators would gush about Hawk and give Carpenter "also ran" status... but it was more hype than substance.

Overall, I dont see enough reason to trade up for Hawk. And I've cooled a bit on Greenway.

For #21, Carpenter or Lawson are still my targets; either one. Carpenter is NFL-ready. Lawson is still green, but may have a bit more upside.

AndyJohnson said:

Anybody remember 1990? The Pats traded the #3 overall pick for picks 8 and 10 and drafted Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew. The 2 guys they were looking at with the #3 pick? Junior Seau and Cortez Kennedy.

That's not to say that AJ Hawk is the next Junior Seau. Just that "never ever ever" is a little strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back