PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A HoF 1st - Induction of a certified football idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1, I Didn't even know owners could get into the HOF. Now that I do, as far as Owners go, I'd at least consider he is HOF worthy. As a NFL owner. Someone has to get elected. Its a small field. The same 32 people, not much real turnover, aside from a quick pitch to a cloned "son". But no last name change, that's important for NFL owners. So it's not like players. Where 1 best out of 500 make the hall? It's not that much of standard, or no Owner would ever get in. So of course it seems ridiculous in comparison. Hmm, you've been a decent owner, top 3 or 4 of 32, and you did it for a pretty long time, so that should count as enough as far as owners go. So I guess I'm ok with it.

Are you suggesting Jones is even one of the best owners today?

Are you suggesting Jones is even one of the best owners today?

As far as what constitutes a HOF owner (which is who the F knows really? PR fluff, longevity, power, league influence, promoting the game, getting stadiums built, lacking in scandals) yes. I think formula used for a HOF owner is longevity*power - scandals executed for max PR exposure. Nothing to do with winning(not), meddling, arrogance or general stupidity. He's been around a long time and has been (and still is) one of the most influential owners in the league. Throw the guy and the fans in Texas a bone. They need something they can feel good about after how this season ended for them.

As far as what constitutes a HOF owner (which is who the F knows really? PR fluff, longevity, power, league influence, promoting the game, getting stadiums built, lacking in scandals) yes. I think formula used for a HOF owner is longevity*power - scandals executed for max PR exposure. Nothing to do with winning(not), meddling, arrogance or general stupidity. He's been around a long time and has been (and still is) one of the most influential owners in the league. Throw the guy and the fans in Texas a bone. They need something they can feel good about after how this season ended for them.

Jones vs Kraft

Need I say more?

Jones vs Kraft

Need I say more?

Owner since 1989 vs 1995 need I say more. Equally, Krafty should get the same consideration in 5 or 6 more years. But the general national media and league hate of all things NE, might push that to 10.

Last edited:
Owner since 1989 vs 1995 need I say more. Equally, Krafty should get the same consideration in 5 or 6 more years. But the general national media and league hate of all things NE, might push that to 10.

Who picked those players - Johnson or Jones? If you answer Jones, than explain why the drafting success of those years was not remotely replicated from 1996 to present.

Good luck!

BB talks on a regular basis with one of those two. Answer is obvious.

Who picked those players - Johnson or Jones? If you answer Jones, than explain why the drafting success of those years was not remotely replicated from 1996 to present.

Good luck!

BB talks on a regular basis with one of those two. Answer is obvious.

Not sure you understand what I mean. Jones has been an OWNER since 1989 closing in on 40yrs. While Kraft has been an OWNER since 1996. To be inducted as a HOF OWNER, you need longevity. Which is a big word that means you need to OWN the team for quite a while. Jones has been a OWNER 6 more years than KRAFT has been a OWNER. I don't give a shiit who was picking players? Of Jones or Kraft, who has OWNED a NFL team longer? Explain that to me. Adios Cowboy. Enjoy the game!

Not sure you understand what I mean. Jones has been an OWNER since 1989 closing in on 40yrs. While Kraft has been an OWNER since 1996. To be inducted as a HOF OWNER, you need longevity. Which is a big word that means you need to OWN the team for quite a while. Jones has been a OWNER 6 more years than KRAFT has been a OWNER. I don't give a shiit who was picking players? Of Jones or Kraft, who has OWNED a NFL team longer? Explain that to me. Adios Cowboy. Enjoy the game!

Quality is a criteria.

Quality.

I'm not saying Kraft should be inducted this year, but he's more qualified than Jones. Pat Bowlen should have been the owner nominated this year.

The buck ends with the owner, so good luck explaining how you don't give a crap who is making the player selection. At the very least, the owner fires the GM in a timely manner if he can't build a team - the Matt Millens out there. Jerry Jones for twenty years has insisted to be the GM and has had MM performance - completely unacceptable. Since he wanted to be a GM that badly, he MUST be evaluated on that. It goes beyond that. Jones ran off Jimmy Johnson, who picked and coached the Cowboys of the 90's. He disposed of the most effective coach he ever had...I can understand terminating Landry as it was time, but Jimmy was in his prime. Since 1997, The Cowboys have had the worst playoff record after the Lions, Redskins, Browns - you don't give a crap about the man responsible for selecting the players for that?

Two relationships
  • Jones and Johnson
  • Kraft and Belichick
Kraft was more hands on at one point, but between these two owners the better one let his coach do his job, while the other wants to do portions of the coaches job and get the credit.

Your argument for Jerry Jones being HoF worthy is underwhelming.

Quality is a criteria.

Quality.

I'm not saying Kraft should be inducted this year, but he's more qualified than Jones. Pat Bowlen should have been the owner nominated this year.

The buck ends with the owner, so good luck explaining how you don't give a crap who is making the player selection. At the very least, the owner fires the GM in a timely manner if he can't build a team - the Matt Millens out there. Jerry Jones for twenty years has insisted to be the GM and has had MM performance - completely unacceptable. Since he wanted to be a GM that badly, he MUST be evaluated on that. It goes beyond that. Jones ran off Jimmy Johnson, who picked and coached the Cowboys of the 90's. He disposed of the most effective coach he ever had...I can understand terminating Landry as it was time, but Jimmy was in his prime. Since 1997, The Cowboys have had the worst playoff record after the Lions, Redskins, Browns - you don't give a crap about the man responsible for selecting the players for that?

Two relationships
  • Jones and Johnson
  • Kraft and Belichick
Kraft was more hands on at one point, but between these two owners the better one let his coach do his job, while the other wants to do portions of the coaches job and get the credit.

Quality is a criteria.

Quality.

Two relationships
  • Jones and Johnson
  • Kraft and Belichick

This is becoming a spitting match for some strange reason. In terms of football minds, Kraft or Bowlen are clearly better owners than Jones. Since much of the Jones story is his insistence of being the GM, that absolutely should be considered on HoF eligibility and he's a complete failure on that.

I could agree that no owner deserves HoF this year, but never agree that Jones has earned HoF.

Are you able to quantify specific things Jones has done for a HoF? Serious. Aside from salary cap, I can't list a positive.

Making a lot of money gets you in the HoF?!

HoF is about football - not money.

Money is what's killing the NFL fanbase.

Last edited:
#1, I Didn't even know owners could get into the HOF.

Then that would suggest maybe there is a lot you want to find out about owners before having such a strong opinion on one.

Since you are so convinced Jerry Jones deserves HoF, then you would be comfortable if he were owner of the Patriots? It might be better to move on than to attempt to shout he's HoF, yet would not like him running the Patriots.

Dude you really should really re-read the tone of my first post. We do agree on something, it's a underwhelming argument because it's an underwhelming HOF selection. But I can live with. Everyone knows owners can be elected to the HOF, but wow, you must really hate Jones. You won't acknowledge that he's been one of the most influential NFL owners for nearly 40 yrs -Yes, he not perfect- so I won't argue it an longer with you. I'm sorry Krafty didn't make it this year. But oh well life goes on... If you wan't perspective on the lack of merits of HOF candidates, start with the 7 underwhelming bozo's they trotted up to the podium last night. See, it's kinda like that. It really doesn't take much to make the HOF these days... Nearly all selections have their warts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back