PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Landry

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The situation at hand reminds me a bit of when Jerry Jones who became the new Dallas Cowboys owner in 1989 quickly fired a Dallas Cowboys coaching legend and HOFer Tom Landry shortly after he was in charge and fired him with the Cowboys having gone 3 consecutive years of losing records after having winning record for 20 consecutive winning years prior to that - almost identical to the Pats who have had 3 bad seasons. -its actually kind of eery similar other than Kraft owning the team for a long time.

If it comes about that Belichick gets the boot from Kraft like Jones did to Landry then maybe this team might again enter a deja vu scenerio because just 3 years after Landry was fired and Jimmy Johnson hired,the Cowboys retooled and regained not only glory, but 3 SB wins in the next 4 seasons - lets hope to see that in Foxboro if this happens :)

Last edited:
The situation at hand reminds me a bit of when Jerry Jones who became the new Dallas Cowboys owner in 1989 quickly fired a Dallas Cowboys coaching legend and HOFer Tom Landry shortly after he was in charge and fired him with the Cowboys having gone 3 consecutive years of losing records after having winning record for 20 consecutive winning years prior to that - almost identical to the Pats who have had 3 bad seasons. -its actually kind of eery similar other than Kraft owning the team for a long time.

If it comes about that Belichick gets the boot from Kraft like Jones did to Landry then maybe this team might again enter a deja vu scenerio because just 3 years after Landry was fired and Jimmy Johnson hired,the Cowboys retooled and regained not only glory, but 3 SB wins in the next 4 seasons - lets hope to see that in Foxboro if this happens :)
I had this same thought and discussed it with my son yesterday. This whole debacle makes me sad because I am a big Belichick fan. Whatever happens this year will not change my feelings about him as a coach. I just have no idea on who would be a legitimate candidate to turn the team around. It just seems like this team is jinxed. Mac has become the "painted bird". He must be exorcised before rejuvenation can begin.

Thinking of this too. I wonder who our Jimmy could be…

I had this same thought and discussed it with my son yesterday. This whole debacle makes me sad because I am a big Belichick fan. Whatever happens this year will not change my feelings about him as a coach. I just have no idea on who would be a legitimate candidate to turn the team around. It just seems like this team is jinxed. Mac has become the "painted bird". He must be exorcised before rejuvenation can begin.
I would love it if we can at least in a few years or less get Vrable away from Tennessee - I think Mike back in New England as a HC would be a rousing success for all - other than him i have no confidence in anyone else at this time

As a little kid I remember watching him stand there expressionless. He seemed like a throwback well dressed with a suit or trenchcoat and stylish hat on the sidelines. I nicknamed him Mr. Computer Face. Not great I know but what do are you expecting from a little kid?

I was just talking to someone about this.
I'd give belichick more time. That opinion is going to be increasingly unpopular but if it were me I'd stick with him. I'd give him thru the 24' season to show me something if I was Kraft. It's not just that I think he deserves it but also because I really do still think he gives NE the best chance to turn it around. Id say the same for Obrien with the offense.

I mean the big difference in all of this is Kraft having been here for a quarter of a century and Jerry Jones being a new guy who wanted to make his mark.

Also we don't have a Walker level player to get a massive haul into a dynasty

I would love it if we can at least in a few years or less get Vrable away from Tennessee - I think Mike back in New England as a HC would be a rousing success for all - other than him i have no confidence in anyone else at this time
No thanks . The league is changing. Need offensive mastermind with play-calling duties like shananhan and McDaniels of dolphins.

We've had ups and downs.
First, let me say "THANK GOODNESS FOR THE TWENTY YEARS OF GREATNESS". I never thought I would witness anything like it.
We had competitive teams in the 60's. We were actually in the end of season mix for the first Super Bowl.. We would have got killed. That team was like the little engine that could. Late 60's early 70's, BADD. Mid seventies to mid eigthies, some great, some good. late eighties, early 90's not so good, late 90's very good. One awful year, 2000, and then the unparalled success. Whatever comes next will be good again and bad again. It's okay to criticize and think we all know more than the professionals but don't let it consume. I understand the frustration. During the 70's and 80's, I used to let the game effect my mood. Not a good look. Don't let it consume you.

If NE gets back closer to 0.500 it might be more in line with New Orleans 2014-2016.

7-9
7-9
7-9

Stable ownership, they stuck with Sean Payton, and went back to winning after that 3 year drought.

I mean the big difference in all of this is Kraft having been here for a quarter of a century and Jerry Jones being a new guy who wanted to make his mark.

Also we don't have a Walker level player to get a massive haul into a dynasty
good points.

If NE gets back closer to 0.500 it might be more in line with New Orleans 2014-2016.

7-9
7-9
7-9

Stable ownership, they stuck with Sean Payton, and went back to winning after that 3 year drought.

I can accept that this sunny take might apply to Bill the HC. Bill the GM, on the other, has failed utterly over a number of years and must be fired at season's end or somewhat before. If the BIll the HC insists that he and Bill the GM are a package deal, then both must go. After all, even if he is still competent at this point, Bill the HC is certainly a short timer, given his age, and tbh those who see a decline in the head coaching as well as in the GM work just might have a valid concern and deserve a hearing.

Vrabel in my mind should be one of the options considered: no question. Some, like Gresh on weei, seem to think there is no prospect of our being able to find suitable candidates to replace Bill the HC and/or Bill the GM. This is lazy nonsense. Bill is in the latter phases of his career. Father Time will have his way. Deal with it. (Fwiw, I'm nearly 80.)

I was just talking to someone about this.
I'd give belichick more time. That opinion is going to be increasingly unpopular but if it were me I'd stick with him. I'd give him thru the 24' season to show me something if I was Kraft. It's not just that I think he deserves it but also because I really do still think he gives NE the best chance to turn it around. Id say the same for Obrien with the offense.
"Stick with him" as WHAT?? I could see giving Bill the HC another go. Bill the GM is a flaming failure, and he must go before we begin to make any major decisions re the roster .

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back