PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Landry

No thanks . The league is changing. Need offensive mastermind with play-calling duties like shananhan and McDaniels of dolphins.
While I do think Vrabel is worth a look, you do have a point worth taking into account. If there were an option with Vrabel's character and temperament who was an offensive-minded HC, I could see preferring the latter.

Many offer Mayo as the obvious successor. While I certainly understand this, I do have some reservations re that choice: 1) He is obviously a defensive coach, and the assertion that the way forward would be with an offensive-minded coach does make some sense, 2) Mayo is obviously "in the Belichick tradition." Given Bill's failures, it is reasonable to question whether this is entirely a good thing. This concern is somewhat mitigated by the fact that most of Bill's recent failings have been as GM, a role which I certainly assume Mayo would not have., 3) It is always unwise to put too much weight on the well-known merits of any internal candidate. Too tight a focus on this can cause one to miss the virtues of candidates whom one does not know, the opportunities for positive change such candidates might offer 4) I have led the hiring process for many openings in academia. I always cited three areas of evaluation: knowledge of subject matter, manner of relating to students, and what I used to call "voltage." It takes a lot of voltage to manage and teach a roomful of students, certainly a buildingfull of football guys. Some people who are otherwise excellent candidates simply lack the juice, the energy, the Moxie, the push to do the job. I have to say I do not see a great deal of such voltage in Mayo to this point. He's a nice guy - fine - but what the hell difference does that make?

Jerry Jones fired Landry while he was playing golf.

Jerry Jones fired Landry while he was playing golf.
Somebody - it may have been Mort Saul - said that the purpose of golf is "to prolong the lives of a nation's most worthless citizens." Oh dear.

Bill the coach isn't the problem.

It's Bill the scout.

It's Bill the scout.
I'd agree with that if Bill was still putting out a team that played mistake free football. They aren't. Sometimes they look like a Three Stooges skit out there

It's Bill the scout.
Bill the GM must be fired, The timeframe must be such that he has NO role in the GM work relating to refashioning the roster from this point forward.

I'd agree with that if Bill was still putting out a team that played mistake free football. They aren't. Sometimes they look like a Three Stooges skit out there

Unfortunately, they have a really weak roster.

I'm not sure I could even name 10 guys id realistically would want back next year if I had a choice in the matter.

I'm not sure I could even name 10 guys id realistically would want back next year if I had a choice in the matter.
Maybe on defense. But offense and special teams, no way. There were clear upgrades in the draft and free agency at almost every single spot

Did Landry tell Brady to GTFO and try trading Gronk to Detroit?

If NE gets back closer to 0.500 it might be more in line with New Orleans 2014-2016.

7-9
7-9
7-9

Stable ownership, they stuck with Sean Payton, and went back to winning after that 3 year drought.

A whole lot more leeway when the HC isn't the guy picking players. Payton was an offensive HC and the Saints offense ranked 4th in the league in EPA/Play in that timeframe. I think if Bill weren't the GM, the Patriots' defensive performance would buy him a lot more credit of late, but he puts the offense together as well.

"Stick with him" as WHAT?? I could see giving Bill the HC another go. Bill the GM is a flaming failure, and he must go before we begin to make any major decisions re the roster .
Yup. We are likely to get a top 5 pick. I want Belichick to have no part in picking that player.

I would certainly hire the ball boy and the gatorade guy back - Most of the others are worth ****

Tom Landry in his last 4 seasons coached his team to 27 victories in 63 games.
Bill Belichick in his last 4 seasons coached his team to 27 victories in his most recent 63 games.

The difference was that Jones was a new owner. He has no previous ties or loyalty to Landry.

Kraft and Belichick have a long history together. Now if Kraft sold the team and a new owner came in and fired Belichick then it would then be like the Landry situation.

I would love it if we can at least in a few years or less get Vrable away from Tennessee - I think Mike back in New England as a HC would be a rousing success for all - other than him i have no confidence in anyone else at this time

Please, please tell me what the hell Vrable has done at Tennessee that gives you so much confidence he is the answer, ABB? (Anyone But Bill?)

Please, please tell me what the hell Vrable has done at Tennessee that gives you so much confidence he is the answer, ABB? (Anyone But Bill?)
Yeah I really don't get this at all

It's all fine and good, but who is the next HC going to trade to get the haul that Jimmy Johnson got for Hershel Walker?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back