PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A HoF 1st - Induction of a certified football idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I really want to see the write up on Jerry Jones listing why the Pro Football Hall of Fame think he's now a football immortal - this is a mystery to me. George Halas - founder, owner, coach. Al Davis - AFL commissioner that helped the merger, owner, coach, GM. Ed DeBartlo Jr - I get it. What have you done, Jerry?

Suggested the salary cap - did he come up with the idea first? Made lot of money for the NFL. What else? This is what I remember:
  1. His first six months, which include his classless firing of Tom Landry. Earned an interview by Sam Donaldson for his genus as a clown owner. Accidently found Jimmy Johnson however.
  2. His worst move ever: The only owner to fire a coach that just won a SB. OK, divorce is more accurate as Jimmy wanted out, but he directly won 2 SBs, and built the team that would win a 3rd. Had Jones been a HoF owner, the Cowboys definitely would not have tanked over a decade and might have won a 4th SB.
  3. You MUST consider his record as GM. In the 21 years since 1996, Cowboys have never advanced past the Divisional Round, worst playoff record in the NFL after the Browns, Lions, and Redskins. The man that acquired Quincy Carter, lusted after Johnny Manziel, and had a wet dream that once Sean Payton left for NO, Jason Garrett was just like him? How can an owner be HoF yet be a GM that's on the level of Matt Millen for 20 years? The man that turned Dallas around in 2016 is the man that found Dak Prescott and the OL - his son, not Jerry.
  4. Jerrah is a business genus, however. In the past twenty years, he has the biggest fan base in the world and ZERO championships - more than these great teams
    • Patriots (5)
    • Broncos (3)
    • Steelers (2)
    • Packers (2)
    • Ravens (2)
    • Giants (2)
    • Yankees (4)
    • Red Sox (3)
    • Lakers (5)
    • Spurs (4)
    • SF Giants (3)
    • STL Cardinals (2)
    • Marlins (2)
Long read, but far better than my rant here > The Devil and Mr. Jones

Basically says Jerrah since parting with Jimmy Johnson has been bent on proving he can win a SB since 1994 without a stand up HC or GM other than himself. One point of jealousy is Jerrah was out of the loop when Jimmy Johnson talked with the Browns HC...know who that was?

Last edited:
Jerrah as a GM should have offset whatever it was that Jerrah as an owner got him even considered, much less elected to the HoF. Congrats on your two playoff victories over the last two decades.

Who is next for Canton, Jeff Fisher?

Sorry for the rehashing - this is such a travesty. Why not consider Matt Millen for his work as GM? Or Daniel Snyder and Woody Johnson for owning a team for 30+ years? Now we set the standard from Hall of Fame to Hall of Pretty Good, to Hall of Preferred and Powerful.

For counter-point, put Jerrah's bust next to "The Genius" Al Davis. Better yet, in the Men's Room.

Seriously, he's led the charge of profits at any cost no matter what it does to the NFL experience. We have seen the hit in sustainability, with TV viewership down.

Thanks Jerry

Not sure that's a first for the HOF.

I realize it may not be popular here but at least AL Davis contributed something to the league to earn hof status. Seriously what has Jerruh done

I will be explicit:

Al Davis: The Genius
Jerry Jones: The Football Idiot (wanted Johnny Manziel, got Quincy Carter, had a wet dream once he lost Sean Payton to the Saints he could make Jason Garrett the next great coach)

Davis helped the AFL merge with the NFL. He was a HC. I think he lost it the last decade of his life, but Davis had it - Jones never did.

yeah it is pretty dumb. JJ's innovation was selling the names of stadiums to sponsors. Can't really think of anything else he's done.

well the nfl has no shame anyway so...

Long read, but best ever read on Jerrah > The Devil and Mr. Jones

Basically says Jerrah since parting with Jimmy Johnson has been bent on proving he can win a SB since 1994 without a stand up HC or GM other than himself. One point of jealousy is Jerrah was out of the loop when Jimmy Johnson talked with the Browns HC...know who that was?

Long read, but far better than my rant here > The Devil and Mr. Jones

Great article! Very insightful! Thanks for sharing.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about Jimmy and BB talking, what was this about? when did it happen?

While I agree with the general opinion about him being somewhat incompetent the reality is that you really can't tell the story of the NFL without Jerry Jones. Many are saying that this is the baseline you have to fulfill to get considered. Going from dynasty to laughing stock to somewhat relevance is a story that most people can't resist. There is so much meat on the bone in those years that I wouldn't be surprised if he even gets his own Football Life episode at some point.

That being said there is no reason to vote him in in this particular year as all his contributions are frozen in the past.

Great article! Very insightful! Thanks for sharing.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about Jimmy and BB talking, what was this about? when did it happen?

All I recall is it was 1994 and Jimmy J was discussing a possible trade with BB in Cleveland. For sometime Jerrah and Jimmy were fighting to be Cowboys GM. Jerrah was jealous that Jimmy was the face of the Boys. Jimmy did rub it in and unwise. He should have stroked Jerrah's ego and find a way to take charge. Anyway, he was no angel.

The hall of fame let in a Dallas dope fiend clown like mike Irvin, why not let in another Dallas clown in jones?

Well when your league is run by a complete moron, I guess Jerry Jones is HOF material.

Last edited:
Well when your league is run by a complete moron, I guess Jerry Jones is HOF material.

Goodell is not directly responsible, but he definitely could change the process. The selection system has always been this way.

The hall of fame let in a Dallas dope fiend clown like mike Irvin, why not let in another Dallas clown in jones?

That may be, but Irvin produced on the field, and was a very vocal leader and team supporter.Not only on the field, but in the locker room, and with the new rookies. He's paid the price for his mistakes.

#1, I Didn't even know owners could get into the HOF. Now that I do, as far as Owners go, I'd at least consider he is HOF worthy. As a NFL owner. Someone has to get elected. Its a small field. The same 32 people, not much real turnover, aside from a quick pitch to a cloned "son". But no last name change, that's important for NFL owners. So it's not like players. Where 1 best out of 500 make the hall? It's not that much of standard, or no Owner would ever get in. So of course it seems ridiculous in comparison. Hmm, you've been a decent owner, top 3 or 4 of 32, and you did it for a pretty long time, so that should count as enough as far as owners go. So I guess I'm ok with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back