PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8 Crazy Facts About Sunday's Massive Broncos-Patriots Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It gets tricky seeing Tebow's future in the league without a successful reference to go by. Other than Vick i guess, drawing a blank, :confused:hybrid QBs?

Steve Young
Donovan McNabb
Randall Cunningham

That's fair.

But it gets back to my point - how many other successful college QBs - who were not projected to succeed as a pro - retained the popularity Tebow did before he had some successes this season? None.

Well, first of all, no other college QB in the history of the sport achieved as much success as Tebow did. None. So any comparison along these lines is going to be a little bit flawed. Note: I know you never said that other "equally successful" college QB...you just said "other successful" college QB. But my point still stands.

Tebow entered the NFL riding the biggest crest of national popularity I have ever seen, and for good reason. Not only did he possess the most impressive resume of all-time (and that's no overstatement), he was also viewed as pretty much an all-american kid. Good kid, good values, worked hard for the poor, did a bunch of charitable stuff, never got into trouble. I mean, think about that for a minute. Think about all the unbelievable crap that various NFL and college players do. Not only was Tebow not involved in any of that (lots of guys weren't involved with it); he took it to the next level and did charitable things that nobody else (that we know of) was doing. Obviously his faith was the driving force behind that, but if you forget that for a moment, you realize....holy cow, this kid has incredibly impressive character. So he was a VERY easy guy to root for.

When he entered the NFL, he immediately became an underdog, which is hard to say considering he was a 1st round pick. But he was because most people thought that he couldn't succeed in the NFL (and many people think he still ultimately won't). He retained his popularity probably because he didn't fail his first year. When he did finally get a chance to play late in the year, he led them to a remarkable comeback win against Oakland, and very nearly pulled another one off against San Diego. So the fans naturally wanted to see him get a legit shot.

And all he's done this year is win. Obviously we can think of a bunch of non-Tebow reasons for why Denver has done well (great defense, unbelievable kicker, some really good fortune, etc.), but nevertheless, he and the team are winning. So he remains pretty easy to root for, for much of the country.

It's not that hard to understand, really.

Well, first of all, no other college QB in the history of the sport achieved as much success as Tebow did. None. So any comparison along these lines is going to be a little bit flawed. Note: I know you never said that other "equally successful" college QB...you just said "other successful" college QB. But my point still stands.

Fair post.

Tebow's college resume might be better than some of the other QB busts I'm referring to - but the disparity between him and those players is not at all proportionate to the level of disparity in popularity. I would argue.

There's a huge chunk of the populace that cares little for college football, and therefore would have little knowledge of Tebow's college resume. There's also the fact that college players are often only popular regionally, as college football fans already have their loyalties. Those two facts normally are a factor in preventing a guy like him from being such a popular pro player. In this case, that has not been the case.

The part we agree on is that it is the stuff off the football field that increases Tebow's popularity. I agree with this.

Last edited:
I confess to being a day one Brady's Lady but I'm disappointed in my fellow Pats fans who feel compelled to disrespect Aaron Rogers' fantastic season and Tebow's remarkable comeback streak. Both Tebow and Brady started with their teams in a losing record hole and both QBs somewhat unconventionally, but each in their own style turned the losing ways of their team around and most importantly galvanized their fellow players around their winning ways. Anyone who thinks Brady wasn't hyped as a major 2001 season story and was in his unique way controversial has revisionist history syndrome. Both QBs had their capabilities denigrated by the experts. Who can forget Madden after 58 1/2 minutes of SB performance disagreeing with Brady's last minute drive to the Championship?

The NFL is in the entertainment business. Tebow has supplied lots of entertainment interest.
Are you not entertained?

Last edited:
Fair post.

Tebow's college resume might be better than some of the other QB busts I'm referring to - but the disparity between him and those players is not at all proportionate to the level of disparity in popularity. I would argue.

There's a huge chunk of the populace that cares little for college football, and therefore would have little knowledge of Tebow's college resume. There's also the fact that college players are often only popular regionally, as college football fans already have their loyalties. Those two facts normally are a factor in preventing a guy like him from being such a popular pro player. In this case, that has not been the case.

The part we agree on is that it is the stuff off the football field that increases Tebow's popularity. I agree with this.

Yeah, I don't think we really disagree on any of this. No doubt Tebow has been far more popular than other highly successful college QB. I think partly it's because of all the stuff I already mentioned. The other factor is that he was a national figure from his freshman year on, on probably the best college football team in the country over that 4-year span. So he was *always* in the national spotlight. And all the national coverage highlighted not just his football stuff but also his off-the-field stuff as well, so plenty of people that don't really get too into college football were still aware of him as a national figure, and, for the vast majority of people, they liked what they knew of him. That's still true today.

So I agree that it's unprecedented. I agree that it's crazy to compare Tebow to Brady in terms of their NFL careers. I'm just trying to offer a plausible story for *why* Tebow was so popular, and for why his popularity has remained, even though he really hasn't accomplished very much yet in his very brief NFL career.

Anyone who thinks Brady wasn't hyped as a major 2001 season story and was in his unique way controversial has revisionist history syndrome. Both QBs had their capabilities denigrated by the experts. Who can forget Madden after 58 1/2 minutes of SB performance disagreeing with Brady's last minute drive to the Championship?

Brady nationally was met with nowhere near a fraction of the mania that surrounds Tebow (and again, I understand why). The Brady story was a Brady-Bledsoe story for much of it. This has never been a Tebow-Orton story. Denver has wanted Tebow before he even did anything. Comparisons between the two situations are not well-founded.

The fact that Madden wanted Brady to kneel only makes my point.

Last edited:
The NFL is in the entertainment business. Tebow has supplied lots of entertainment interest.
Are you not entertained?

the bold quote had gladiator written all over it.....

Attachments

• gladiator.jpg
    gladiator.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 76
Brady nationally was met with nowhere near a fraction of the mania that surrounds Tebow (and again, I understand why). The Brady story was a Brady-Bledsoe story for much of it. This has never been a Tebow-Orton story. Denver has wanted Tebow before he even did anything. Comparisons between the two situations are not well-founded.

The fact that Madden wanted Brady to kneel only makes my point.

No. It makes the point that purists like you and Madden STILL did not get it, even at the end of the SB. Can't deal with the fact that the unconventional guy is a winner.

Tomorrow, two will enter. Only one will emerge.

No. It makes the point that purists like you and Madden STILL did not get it, even at the end of the SB. Can't deal with the fact that the unconventional guy is a winner.

PWP, how was Brady viewed as "unconventional"? He was seen as having limitations (he was a "dink and dunker"), but that isn't "unconventional". It's "inexperienced". So can you explain what you mean here?

This won't last. This is hand in hand with the republican primarys. I like that Gronk has more TDs then all the Denver receivers put together.

Not that Tebow still can't throw worth poo, but... doesn't Gronk have more TD's than all OUR other receivers put together too?

I confess to being a day one Brady's Lady but I'm disappointed in my fellow Pats fans who feel compelled to disrespect Aaron Rogers' fantastic season and Tebow's remarkable comeback streak. Both Tebow and Brady started with their teams in a losing record hole and both QBs somewhat unconventionally, but each in their own style turned the losing ways of their team around and most importantly galvanized their fellow players around their winning ways. Anyone who thinks Brady wasn't hyped as a major 2001 season story and was in his unique way controversial has revisionist history syndrome. Both QBs had their capabilities denigrated by the experts. Who can forget Madden after 58 1/2 minutes of SB performance disagreeing with Brady's last minute drive to the Championship?

Are you not entertained?

I'm not.

I am a Brady lady myself, but I hate on Aaron Rodgers, mostly because he's already to media and sheep "Better than Brady" and they're already saying that in the future Rodgers is gonna be "The best QB to ever play the game" all because he's playing with an all-star team who are playing the easiest schedule in the league. Even Favre had to come out and express his disapointment on how Rodgers was unable to do this earlier in his career, with that team and that schedule. Then Rodgers' arrogance and believing in his own hype makes me hate him even worse.

Onto Tebow, he has done nothing but be Christian and watch his defense win games, while he gets all the credit for opposing defenses going soft on him towards the end of games allowing and letting him make these so-called comebacks. Suddenly Tebowmania is on the rise, had he not been expressing his love for God we wouldn't be hearing about his so-called comebacks, he'd be another replaced QB. Tom Brady who had done waaaay more than Tebow and is obviously waaaay better than Tebow, 01 and present, has never had any Bradymania and BS made for him. The NFL and ESPN are constantly shoving Tebow down my throat and I can't swallow anymore. That's why I can't Tebow. He's not Brady, he's not even Eli.

PWP, how was Brady viewed as "unconventional"? He was seen as having limitations (he was a "dink and dunker"), but that isn't "unconventional". It's "inexperienced". So can you explain what you mean here?

Unconventional vis-a-vis the "Tall With A Strong Arm" Bledsoe just chuck it style. Possibly a poor choice of words on my part. I agree with how you describe he was seen. He, like Tebow was not respected by many pundits, including a large segment of Patriots fans.

Unconventional vis-a-vis the "Tall With A Strong Arm" Bledsoe just chuck it style. Possibly a poor choice of words on my part. I agree with how you describe he was seen. He, like Tebow was not respected by many pundits, including a large segment of Patriots fans.

Ok. I agree with you that a lot of people wanted Bledsoe back as soon as possible and said that the Pats couldn't keep winning with Brady being a dink-and-dunker. But he was pretty conventional. Tall, dropback passer with an accurate (if not strong) arm. Limited, but conventional.

Even Favre had to come out and express his disapointment on how Rodgers was unable to do this earlier in his career, with that team and that schedule.

Favre taking time out of his busy scedule to disparage the QB that replaced him, well I'm sold. Is this serious?

Tebow has shown the ability to hit the short pass, the medium pass and the deep pass. What Tebow has not yet shown is the ability to do that consistently. This should come as a surprise to nobody, however. QBs generally adjust to the league, as opposed to coming out as finished products.

John Elway was at 47.5% his first year
Manning was at 56.7% as a rookie. His last 9 years have all been at 66% +
Drew Brees is 10% higher this season than in his first full year.
Michael Vick's first 8 games (2 starts) had him at 44.2%. He was 62.6% last season
Aaron Rodgers, another QB who's throwing was questioned, is 6% higher this season than in his first full year, and that's after sitting for 3 years

A lot of these numbers aren't relevant because of the nature of the game back when they were made. When Elway played 50% was decent completion percentage. When Brady and Manning started 55% was considered a decent rate.

So when in an era where you can't hit "defenseless" receivers over the middle, can't touch them 5 yds down the field, 2/3rds of a QB is considered out of bounds to contact and PI on any pass is a 50-50 proposition; a QB can't who can't complete 50% of his passes IS a significant statistic. A lot more significant than the Elway, Brees, and Manning numbers

A lot of these numbers aren't relevant because of the nature of the game back when they were made. When Elway played 50% was decent completion percentage. When Brady and Manning started 55% was considered a decent rate.

So when in an era where you can't hit "defenseless" receivers over the middle, can't touch them 5 yds down the field, 2/3rds of a QB is considered out of bounds to contact and PI on any pass is a 50-50 proposition; a QB can't who can't complete 50% of his passes IS a significant statistic. A lot more significant than the Elway, Brees, and Manning numbers

I'm not really going to bother too much with this. I'll just point out that Manning's rookie season was "way back" in 1998, a full 2 years before Brady's rookie year, that Marino's career percentage was 59.4 and Elway finished at 56.9, which is well ahead of his 47.5 start, that Steve Young finished his career with a percentage of 64.3, Ken Stabler finished at 59.8, Montana 63.2, and 50.0% is only good enough for 206 overall in NFL history. There's an undertone in your post that seems to imply that the NFL used to be "throw and pray" until about a decade ago, and it's simply not true.

Also, Sanchez is barely a 55% QB right now, and he's gotten to the AFCCG twice.

NFL Career Pass Completion % Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com.

Not that Tebow still can't throw worth poo, but... doesn't Gronk have more TD's than all OUR other receivers put together too?

No the other have 18
Welker - 9
Branch - 4
Hernandez - 5

Deus, I'm referring to Brady's first season as a starter. I thought that would've been rather apparent, I apologize if its not.

Of course, the mere fact that you would think the comparison referred to the hype surrounding Brady after he had tallied 3 SBs, 2 SB MVPs, 2 regular season MVPs, a perfect regular season, and the season TD record versus Tim Tebow as a 7-1 starter this year makes my point.

I don't know why you even bother. DI doesn't even believe what he writes. He does it to be contrary and stir the pot.

Religion is divisive. Tebow insists on waving it in our faces every week. For that, and taking focus away from the game, he is a selfish d-bag.

Doesn't matter that it is Christianity. If it were anything, even atheism, he was flapping around in our faces like a damned exhibitionist, I'd also be sick of it and hoping for an epic fail. Those trying to play up the poor persecuted Christian angle? Get over yourself and wake up. If he were Muslim you might have an argument. He isn't. Get over it. He's an annoying d-bag pointing at the sky when the camera turns to him. I hope he chokes the full 60 minutes rather than the usual 55.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:5-6

finally...the answer I was too stupid to formulate on my own...let me add, I've been around a few decades and I've seen some real weirdo crap go down in this country...and one thing I've learned, if he points to the sky, if he preaches he is with the Lord, if he asks for your money, if he thunders hail and brimstone at other preachers only to be caught in flagrante delicto with a "hooker" whose only claim to fame is she pays YOU for sex and then has his whole family on TV with him bawling his and their eyes out sobbing "I have SEEEEEEEEEENED!!!!", if you see any of this pure unadulterated holy garbage, run!....run fast...and check your wallet....to put in pictographic terms...

swaggart1.jpg
jim_bakker.jpg
Jeffs_ws1.jpg
warren-jeffs.jpg
David-Koresh.JPG

those who learn nothing from history are fated to relive it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back