PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8 Crazy Facts About Sunday's Massive Broncos-Patriots Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pounding one argument home again and again is what I meant by similar. Never ending tirade covering the same ground and what was Brady's biggest attribute by the way???? and still is?

Heart, attitude, work ethic, fierce competitive nature etc etc...

I guarantee you Tebow's similar to brady in that department

I agree. Tebow has those intangibles. But the two could not play the position any differently. And comparisons end at the intangibles.

Right. Because Tim Tebow has already accomplished everything that Tom Brady had in that timeframe. Such as win 3 Super Bowls, win multiple SB MVPs, go to Pro Bowls, pass for over 60% completion rate, etc.

It's kind of hard for Tebow to win 3 Super Bowls and 2 SB MVPs when this is his 2nd year in the NFL.

Who knows what the rest of the season will hold, but here's one little comparison. In their respective 2nd years in the NFL, Brady and Tebow each became the starting QB during the season (i.e., not at the start). Through the first 9 games that Brady and Tebow played in the year that each of them became the starter (including the game they entered as a sub that led to them starting), here's what they did:

Brady: 159-248 (64.1%), 1611 yds, 6.50 ypa, 6.19 aypa, 12 td, 7 int, 86.9 rating, 18 rushes, 22 yds (1.22 ypc), 0 td, 5-3 as a starter

- Total Yds: 1633
- Total Yds/play: 6.14
- Total TD: 12

Tebow: 96-198 (48.5%), 1290 yds, 6.52 ypa, 7.17 aypa, 11 td, 2 int, 83.9 rating, 94 rushes, 517 yds (5.50 ypc), 3 td, 7-1 as a starter

- Total Yds: 1807
- Total Yds/play: 6.19
- Total TD: 14

BTW, there's a VERY good chance that Tebow will end up in the Pro Bowl this year, like it or not.

Honestly, you and everyone else in here who would make such a comment do a huge disservice to Tom Brady's ability to play quarterback and lend credence to Colts fans argument by even suggesting that Tim Tebow's level of play at all reminds you of Tom Brady's from that era. If you want to say Tebow is a winner, fine. But Brady was always a quality passer.

Agreed. He's obviously a MUCH better passer than Tebow. It's a disservice to Brady to compare the two as if they are equals. Brady is a top 3 all-time QB; Tebow's career has just gotten started. It is not a disservice, however, to compare what each of them had accomplished at similar points in their career, which is what I did above. That's totally fair.

The kid's got the second best winning percentage in the NFL this season, and he was a kid that was being derided as not likely to be drafted high or drafted as a QB, as likely never to take a snap as an NFL QB, as likely never to start a game as an NFL QB, as being unable to win any games as an NFL QB. He's proven those people, and yourself, wrong time and again, and that's why he's getting the hype. It's been a building thing, as should be expected.

He's earned every bit of that hype and, if he gets that Broncos team to the playoffs, he'll earn even more.

Brady led the Pats to a similar record before going into the postseason (in his first year as a starter). There was no such hype for Brady. Far from it.

Tebow hasn't proven anything of substance yet that we didn't already know. No one denied that he was a clutch player with great intangibles. He has shown that so far.

Since the bye week, they played a Phins team that was reeling; an Oakland team whose wheels were falling off; a Chargers team that is falling apart; a Chiefs team without a QB; a weak Jets team coming off a Sunday Night beating; a Vikings team that can't beat anyone; and a Bears team that doesn't have a QB. And the Lions. And the Lions trounced them.

Let's discuss again after Sunday.

Last edited:
Eventually, the sample size will catch up with Tebow. Notably, this Sunday.

I hope you're right. I want the Pats to make a statement and absolutely pummel the Broncos on Sunday, to the tune of something like 45-6. That would be beautiful. :D

hold up.. it says "Tom Brady doesn't have a touchdown on a passing attempt of over 30 yards this season". What about Welker's 99 yard touchdown? Unless they are talking about the ball travelling 30 yards in the air..

Has to be b/c Gronk had three receptions over 30 yards last week alone...

Brady led the Pats to a similar record before going into the postseason. There was no such hype for Brady. Far from it.

Brady was getting pimped like a million dollar hooker. The streak without interceptions, the winning percentage, the winning with a terrible defense, the unanimous MVP, the G.O.A.T..

Feel free to ask fans of other teams about Brady hype.

At this point, you're posting as if you're certifiably insane. Your prejudices seem to have driven you mad.

Last edited:
Agreed. He's obviously a MUCH better passer than Tebow. It's a disservice to Brady to compare the two as if they are equals. Brady is a top 3 all-time QB; Tebow's career has just gotten started. It is not a disservice, however, to compare what each of them had accomplished at similar points in their career, which is what I did above. That's totally fair.

The statistical comparisons between Tebow and Brady a decade ago mean little to me as the game has changed dramatically since then.

As for Brady-Tebow and what they have accomplished...the fact is that Tebow very well may be the most popular player in the NFL. And he's accomplished nothing so far. That's my point. The two can't be compared in any way - and I agree with you there - yet somehow Tebow has just as many fans.

That's the messed up part.

Last edited:
It gets tricky seeing Tebow's future in the league without a successful reference to go by. Other than Vick i guess, drawing a blank, :confused:hybrid QBs?

Last edited:
Brady was getting pimped like a million dollar hooker. The streak without interceptions, the winning percentage, the winning with a terrible defense, the unanimous MVP, the G.O.A.T..

At this point, you're posting as if you're certifiably insane.

Deus, I'm referring to Brady's first season as a starter. I thought that would've been rather apparent, I apologize if its not.

Of course, the mere fact that you would think the comparison referred to the hype surrounding Brady after he had tallied 3 SBs, 2 SB MVPs, 2 regular season MVPs, a perfect regular season, and the season TD record versus Tim Tebow as a 7-1 starter this year makes my point.

Last edited:
Deus, I'm referring to Brady's first season as a starter. I thought that would've been rather apparent, I apologize if its not.

If you don't think he was being pimped in his first season as a starter as the season went on, you've either got Alzheimer's or you didn't start following football until sometime after 2002.

You're now reduced to crying because you think Tebow's getting more attention in the regular season 2011 than Brady got in the regular season 2001. Think on that when you go about insisting this isn't about your prejudices.

Last edited:
If you don't think he was being pimped in his first season as a starter as the season went on, you've either got Alzheimer's or you didn't start following football until sometime after 2002.

I resent that, as you should know by now that certainly was not the case.

Are you seriously comparing the NATIONAL hype around Tom Brady (2001) versus the NATIONAL hype around Tim Tebow (now)? That's absurd.

And I think you have the selective memory if you are forgetting the Brady-Bledsoe debates that went on that year, locally, even. When's the last time someone called for Kyle Orton?

You continue to make my points for me.

Last edited:
Of course, the mere fact that you would think the comparison referred to the hype surrounding Brady after he had tallied 3 SBs, 2 SB MVPs, 2 regular season MVPs, a perfect regular season, and the season TD record versus Tim Tebow as a 7-1 starter this year makes my point.

No, it just demonstrates

A.) poor writing on your part

B.) your willingness to move the goalposts

The statistical comparisons between Tebow and Brady a decade ago mean little to me as the game has changed dramatically since then.

So you don't ever compare Brady to Montana or any of the historically great QB? How on earth, then, can you assess where Brady stands in terms of historically great QB?

As for Brady-Tebow and what they have accomplished...the fact is that Tebow very well may be the most popular player in the NFL. And he's accomplished nothing so far. That's my point. The two can't be compared in any way - and I agree with you there - yet somehow Tebow has just as many fans.

That's the messed up part.

Tebow was *WAY* more popular in college than Brady was. And, of course, he accomplished WAY more in college than Brady ever dreamed of. A Heisman, 2 national championships, the best passer rating in the history of college football.....Brady's college resume is very thin compared to that. Thus, he entered the NFL as a relatively unknown 6th round pick with no hype or fanfare. Tebow was already one of the most popular players in the NFL the moment he was drafted by Denver. That's just the way it goes.

No, it just demonstrates

A.) poor writing on your part

B.) your willingness to move the goalposts

When it comes to any discussion on Tim Tebow, the goalposts were already moved by his supporters. I'm trying to move them back.

I resent that, as you should know by now that certainly was not the case.

Are you seriously comparing the NATIONAL hype around Tom Brady (2001) versus the NATIONAL hype around Tim Tebow (now)? That's absurd.

And I think you have the selective memory if you are forgetting the Brady-Bledsoe debates that went on that year, locally, even. When's the last time someone called for Kyle Orton?

You continue to make my points for me.

The one making "points" is you, as you continue to demonstrate selective memory and ridiculous prejudice and a willingness to deliberately ignore what posters have written:

You're now reduced to crying because you think Tebow's getting more attention in the regular season 2011 than Brady got in the regular season 2001.

Pretty clearly noting the attention level there.

Tebow was *WAY* more popular in college than Brady was. And, of course, he accomplished WAY more in college than Brady ever dreamed of. A Heisman, 2 national championships, the best passer rating in the history of college football.....Brady's college resume is very thin compared to that. Thus, he entered the NFL as a relatively unknown 6th round pick with no hype or fanfare. Tebow was already one of the most popular players in the NFL the moment he was drafted by Denver. That's just the way it goes.

That's fair.

But it gets back to my point - how many other successful college QBs - who were not projected to succeed as a pro - retained the popularity Tebow did before he had some successes this season? None.

When it comes to any discussion on Tim Tebow, the goalposts were already moved by his supporters. I'm trying to move them back.

Now you're just flat-out lying. I'm done with you.

Pretty clearly noting the attention level there.

What's your point?

In one statement, you deride me and imply I'm not remembering media reaction to Brady's first year as a starter, stating that he was pimped presumably on a level comparable to Tebow. Now, you're saying otherwise? I'm not quite following.

And no, I'm not crying that Tebow is getting more attention than Brady was then. Which he is. And Tebow is getting more attention than Brady is, even now. Or even than impending MVP Aaron Rodgers - or equally deserving Drew Brees.

All those things are silly. I don't think I'm "crying" about them by merely pointing it out.

Last edited:
It gets tricky seeing Tebow's future in the league without a successful reference to go by. Other than Vick i guess, drawing a blank, :confused:hybrid QBs?

They definitely tend to flare out. Two things that Tebow has going for him are that the league is now protecting QBs more than ever and he seems to be able to think the game at an NFL level. That said the odds of him lasting more than 5 seasons or having any real success in the post season are going to depend on him improving his mechanics and throwing the ball more consistently well, well that and getting him receivers that don't drop ~30% of his well thrown balls.

Now you're just flat-out lying. I'm done with you.

So you - in all honesty - don't believe that the hype and support of Tim Tebow is disproportionate to what he has accomplished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back