Welcome to PatsFans.com

$4.9 million reasons for AD to take part in OTA (Edited:/offseason workout sessions)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Miguel, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

If he suffers a serious injury in the OTAs, he can not be cut.
  2. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +321 / 5 / -5

OTOH, does his contract have language reducing his salary if that happens?
  3. gzathepat

gzathepat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Put a bounty on him. Send Pat Chung for the hit.
  4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I doubt he was going to show up before the mandatory OTA's require it anyway, and they can always keep him out of the mix. I think Bill will play hardball in this case, because it's not about business, it's about football and challenging coaching and the system, and I don't think AD wants to sit out a season on IR even at full salary heading into a potential lockout season which could potentially make 2009 the last time he played the game. Perillo and Reiss on All Access were both of the opinion that it's somehow become personal with these two, not that AD doesn't not want to play but he simply doesn't want to play for Bill. And not that Bill doesn't want him gone, just that he's not going to allow him to go where he'd prefer to. Even if it means holding onto him and either pressuring him internally (via teamate pressure) to man up and do his job as he's told or remain in the dog house at $5M.

When is the first mandatory OTA...May? He may have a market outside of the swamp post draft. Perillo even opined that he could see him getting packaged on draft day (you want to trade for #__, you gotta take AD to make it work for me...). Which may have even been the way Vrabel landed in KC since they weren't going to pay him but they didn't want him landing with a division rival largely because of his knowledge of the scheme and personnel.
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +321 / 5 / -5

The fact that Thomas' contract could have played even a small part in Vrabel getting traded makes me want to vomit. :mad:
  6. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to believe AD will be gone before OTAs start.
  7. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

===================================================

On the other hand you could say the Pats have $4.9 mil reasons to cut him.
  8. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,182 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

Fortunately, it's not a fact, nor did MoLewisRocks say that. He simply made an analogy.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +123 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

Did this guy ever dominate even 4.9 games since he's been with us? I'll give him a million just for the laughs of destroying Washington and Favre on the same play, but other than that I can't think of too many good performances out of this guy.
  10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

as long as thomas is under contract, its in his best interest to do everything that is asked for him......especially that the likely hood of him getting cut prior to the start of the regular season is high......that is if he want to maximize what he can get form his potential next employer
  11. Miguel

Ratings:
    +283 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

His contract is not a split salary contract.
  12. Miguel

Ratings:
    +283 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

13. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +269 / 17 / -2

1) There are no OTA's until a couple of weeks after the draft.

2) There should be a very public kumbayah moment or two or expect Thomas to be traded (or even cut) by then.

3) If he is still on the team for OTA's, I don't expect him to participate. The team could even keep him off the feild.
    ===========

The bottom line to me is that something extremely positive needs to happen for Thomas to be practicing in the OTA's with both parties expecting him to be paid $4.9M. And even if there is an injury clause, how does it help the patriots to lose even $2.45M for no production?
  14. Miguel

Ratings:
    +283 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I screwed up. I said OTAs. I should have also included offseason workout sessions.
  15. Miguel

Ratings:
    +283 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Given how the Titans were unable to prevent McNair from doing so, what makes you believe that the Patriots would be able to keep AD from the field??
  16. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: $4.9 million reasons for AD to take part in OTA/offseason workout sessions

Except to Mr. Krafts wallet, does it matter? If there was still a cap in place the Patriots would be about $20 million below it. If AD spending the year away from the team on IR is a worst case scenario, I can live with it.
  17. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Re: $4.9 million reasons for AD to take part in OTA (Edited:/offseason workout sessio

The Jets would love that huh? :)

They'll probably keep him on the roster for as long as they can, then trade him to the Raiders in August for a 2020 7th round pick.
  18. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -13

Re: $4.9 million reasons for AD to take part in OTA (Edited:/offseason workout sessio

If the Pats try to keep him away, he'll probably go all locker-room-lawyer and insist on participating.

Based on precedent, when's the first time he can insist on participating?
  19. vyrago

vyrago Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

But wouldn't this also be a little chancy, since any team he was traded to could then turn around and trade him to the Jets as was done with Kevin O'Connell? Isn't keeping him the only way that the Patriots can be sure that Thomas doesn't get to Rex?
    I asked in another post but missed the answer, can football teams pay part of a player's salary in order to trade him--as the Red Sox seem to do on a regular basis with their unwanted shortstops? Would that be possible with Thomas?
  20. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

why is everyone so scard of him going to the jets. he is a 32 year old LB that is just not geting it done for the pats if he turns back into a 10 sack guy for the jets good for him. but not all 10 sacks will came vs brady, i say cut him if they have a better opt at OLB after the draft.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.