PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post 24 QB Primer Thread

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
A lot of concerns in the media regarding Drake Maye recently, mainly on his footwork and his decision-making in general (lots of WTF moments). I think if we do end up picking Maye, we should sit him for at least half of a season to fix any mechanical issues.

That said, if Daniels goes #2, I am not that against the team trading down a few spots and grabbing JJ McCarthy. Patriots may not gain a lot of draft capital but to me, McCarthy has enough upside to gamble on. Both he and Maye need time behind another QB to develop, whereas Daniels probably needs to start immediately.

All three of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, and JJ McCarthy have flaws, so I think taking Daniels/Maye or trading down to grab McCarthy are all viable moves.

I am just sad that we don't have a chance to land Caleb Williams, easily one of the best QB prospects in the last decade.

Nix will get a long look from Payton and guys like that. I (and many other tbh) remember mentioning that we would see an increase in 2hi looks a few years ago to limit the explosive state of the league and you see what happened last year. I could see alot of teams recognizing the current state (dink/dunk, possession, schemed touches to big time targets) and taking a chance of building a strong offense that way. Denver is a cap hell for a few years. So a rookie QB is the only way they get out from this respectfully.

From PFF

Nix
Deep (20+): 11.8%
Medium (10-19): 18.3%
Short (0-9): 41.7%
Behind LOS: 28.2%

NFL 23 Reg/PO
Deep (20+): 11.4%
Medium (10-19): 20.2%
Short (0-9): 51.8%
Behind LOS: 16.6%

What Nix was asked to do neatly fits in with how the NFL looked last year.

Nix will definitely impress decision makers whether they opt for him or not. He knows his stuff playing in 5 different offenses (although a few weren't that different) in as many years. Well spoken. Hard worker. Obviously a smart prospect. Whether it's from a collective pov with how impressive it is to gather and use all that knowledge. Or him on the board breaking down a concept. He'll make a few new fans of decision makers after seeing him up close.

“I’ve never been around a quarterback like Bo that understands what we’re trying to accomplish so well,” Oregon coach Dan Lanning said. “And there’s times that we’re there as a coaching staff on the sidelines saying, ‘OK wait, wait, what is he checking to? Oh, all right. Good, that’ll work.’ And he gets it right a lot more often than not.”

“It was a good check by Bo, so it was pretty wide open,” James said. “I know when Bo makes a check he sees something.”

You see the (angle) route here

I bring a lot of the above up bc arguably the most important or underrated aspect of playing QB is survival. A check down or throw away instead of forcing something that might result in a negative play. At Oregon Nix learned how to be efficient and productive (career highs on pass attempts, YA, comp %, pass rating and he ran for almost 800 yds for 20 TD in 2 years) within a scheme that didn't ask too much of him as a processor. And this is the big thing with Oregon, right? What they ask of you vs what can you do. It's clear Nix can do at least a little more of what's asked imo bc of his efficiency, experience and athleticism. He'll most likely always need a strong leader to guide him at times but hes clearly not someone you can't trust or needs his hand held 247. He's a "baker" not a "chef" (credit to Mark Schofield - one of the best descriptions of the different types of QBs) Someone who if given the right ingredients can make you something nice. He needs a recipe, all the right ingredients and necessities though. As opposed to a chef who can put his touch on the recipe after reading it once. Can make do with a "little of this or that" if he doesn't have the perfect ingredients. There's a place for guys like that though, clearly. From Auburn to Oregon- He went from under 200 ypg to almost 330. Comp % from under 58 to almost 80. Sacks went down. Passing rating jumped. When he had the right staff and talent around him he produced at a high level.

Obviously has leadership qualities. Known for being accountable but also not being afraid of confrontation or an uncomfortable conversation with teammates or coaches.

He does lock onto the occasional target (not all plays are designed to go through 5 different targets, youve got to be quick decisive) but he can hold, move, manipulate defenders. Changes the play if he sees something. Very solid pre-snap understanding- from his blocking protection to immediately identifying where the saf are. All this leads to a terrific mental clock. Again he knows how long he'll likely have on a play, can recognize pressure, knows where his targets are. Very good situational awareness and poise in the pocket. I liked what I saw there. It can't be said enough the jump that occurred at Oregon. This has easily become a bright spot on his resume of late.

Very quick, powerful release. Displays arm flexibility, dials above average velocity and strength on all passes that require it. He's definitely worked on his delivery. He's got it down now. Above average velocity but he's got a decent change up. Can layer pretty well between 15-30 yards to the perimeter and mof. At times too much of a fastball without touch. Uses different arm slots for short/intermediate stuff.

Tough QB that has gained respect on and off the field everywhere he's been. Every teammate former and present has something nice and complementary to say about him. Whether it's from standing in the pocket taking a hit on a big play, running for a 1st down, learning a new offense, holding himself accountable. Hes made fans everywhere he's gone.

Uses his athletic to extend and scramble rather than take off. Quick, comfortable and agile in a short area. It's a last resort for him. Usually a smart runner knows where he is on the field. He wants to pass but will run when it's called for. Again almost 800 yards, 20 TD, > 5 per clip.

Accuracy and decision making do take a dip under pressure. He's improved his poise but like Maye his footwork leads to a drop in accuracy.

He's athletic, tough, smart and fits with what a lot of teams want to do. Be efficient. Protect and run the ball - RPO, select down field shots and able to scramble and use your legs if necessary. You're not going to be asking a ton of him as a passer right away or ever considering he's a 5th year guy - almost 70% of his passes were behind the los or within 10 yards. Again he's a "baker" not a "chef." He needs a set table to work off but he's a decent option if you're in cap hell like the Broncos are.

A lot of concerns in the media regarding Drake Maye recently, mainly on his footwork and his decision-making in general (lots of WTF moments).
I've been meaning to show some examples of this. I brought it and many others do too. I'm going to shows exactly what I mean by "bad footwork, mechanical and inaccurate" soon. Just been slammed with work. I feel.bad bc I told @DaBruinz I would a week ago. I plan on looking at a few games tomorrow though and explaining what I mean and see.

To any team that never wants to win a Super Bowl.
Wilson Is signing with Pittsburgh for 1.2. So how are we not in on that? I'd assume Brissett is going to get at least 5 million?

One of his conclusions is Average NFL arm strength? He threw 61 mph at the combine?
Much of what he says is accurate. The main point with JJ is there is not enough tape to say whether he has NFL ability or not. He was not asked to make many NFL reads and throws.
But to conclude average arm strength this guy clearly is not a very good draft prospect evaluator.

I would try for Tannehill, but I’m ok with Brissett.

Wilson Is signing with Pittsburgh for 1.2. So how are we not in on that? I'd assume Brissett is going to get at least 5 million?
I'm all in on Pittsburgh next year! OG Pickens, Arthur "I hate WR" Smith, Russell Wilson who is a headache among headaches and Tomlin who doesn't F around. That team will be interesting to say the least.

I'm all in on Pittsburgh next year! OG Pickens, Arthur "I hate WR" Smith, Russell Wilson who is a headache among headaches and Tomlin who doesn't F around. That team will be interesting to say the least.

Pittsburgh strikes me as a team that doesn’t know where they are at, and is just trying to patch it together each offseason by addressing needs. They are also stuck in that middle ground in terms of drafting every year that limits their ability to bring in game changers. Like the Patriots I think they need a housecleaning, bring in a new GM and head coach and reset. If they don’t I think you will continue to see them just struggle along in the middle of the pack.

Last edited:
With Atlanta signing Kirk Cousins, Minnesota is almost guaranteed to pick a QB. I don't know if the Giants will but it is likely that trading down and drafting JJ McCarthy is probably not an option for us anymore. If we are not drafting a QB this year, Wolf and co. must be confident that they can find someone in next year's draft.

Though with the Brissett signing, I lean towards Wolf staying put and drafting Maye or Daniels, and I am fine with it. I think both Maye and Daniels are good prospects, not perfect but worth using #3 for.

For what it's worth, of all the QB's deemed to be taken in rounds 1 through 2, Maye had the LEAST amount of talent on offense. A horrible OL, and only one decent WR. You give him the talent that Williams and Daniels and Penix and Nix had, and despite some correctable flaws, he might be the highest rated QB in this draft.

With Atlanta signing Kirk Cousins, Minnesota is almost guaranteed to pick a QB. I don't know if the Giants will but it is likely that trading down and drafting JJ McCarthy is probably not an option for us anymore. If we are not drafting a QB this year, Wolf and co. must be confident that they can find someone in next year's draft.

Though with the Brissett signing, I lean towards Wolf staying put and drafting Maye or Daniels, and I am fine with it. I think both Maye and Daniels are good prospects, not perfect but worth using #3 for.
Maye at #3 would be the best case scenario (as Williams isn't going to fall that far, if at all).

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back