PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats only need a top 10 pick to get a blue chip star in draft

What other hope is there for this fan base at present?

It might be unfashionable, but you can watch the last seven games and hope for the Patriots to do well. Or at least take note of which players are doing what -- who's playing hard, how they're developing, etc.

We control #3 pick.

1. Bench Mac. Start Grier or Cunningham.
2. Send Brown home to take care of his "personal" issue.
3. Increase JJSS snaps.
4. Lose to the Giants.

We control the #2 pick.

Bill has a plan.

We control #3 pick.

1. Bench Mac. Start Grier or Cunningham.
2. Send Brown home to take care of his "personal" issue.
3. Increase JJSS snaps.
4. Lose to the Giants.

We control the #2 pick.

Bill has a plan.
In regard to #4 the over/under on that game may set a record low at 28.5, I think I’d still find the under tempting.

That's assuming Bill makes the right picks....

Guy hasn't drafted a pro bowl player or someone who has resigned with the team for a 2nd contract drafted early in over a decade

Don't think you need to worry about that. Bill is tanking. It's obvious.
completely agree. cutting Jack Jones, starting Zappe or Grier for the rest of the season, picking up Hasty as RB3.
It could not be any more obvious...Pats are trying to out tank the Giants.
I suspect this is a Kraft sanctioned tank and of course Bill will leave at end of season.

7 super exciting QB's (Williams, Maye, Penix, Sanders, Nix, McCarthy and Daniels)
2 star receiver (Harrison, Nabers)
3 great OT's (Fashanu, Alt and Latham)
1 great TE (Bowers)

They only need a top 10 pick. So its fine if they win a few games...just do not falll out of top 10.

If there end up 8 stars out of the top 10, this current Patriots draft 'braintrust' would end up picking one of the 2 busts.

There need to be huge changes made in that area before the draft happens or the Patriots will just end up wasting more golden opportunities to turn things around as an organization.

Same guy, different suit?
I just don’t understand why we thought we were any different just because our team won a lot. Fans are pretty much the same no matter which team they root for.

I just don’t understand why we thought we were any different just because our team won a lot. Fans are pretty much the same no matter which team they root for.
Even worse because now when there is a return to normalcy, they feel entitled and that are better than having to put up with not having their passive hobby dominate.
Those sane people who though felt superior because they rooted for the team BB built are now saying he isn’t up to their standards. Funny huh?

I’m gonna go the route of either top 2qbs, Harrison or one of the top two tackles.

Assuming they end up with a top 5 pick

7 super exciting QB's (Williams, Maye, Penix, Sanders, Nix, McCarthy and Daniels)
2 star receiver (Harrison, Nabers)
3 great OT's (Fashanu, Alt and Latham)
1 great TE (Bowers)

They only need a top 10 pick. So its fine if they win a few games...just do not falll out of top 10.
Those players will not all be stars. At least half of the QBs will bust

I’m gonna go the route of either top 2qbs, Harrison or one of the top two tackles.

Assuming they end up with a top 5 pick
Much depends on which pick we have, who we extend, and who sign in free agency.

For example, we could extend both Brown and Onwenu, expecting to draft an OT but not necessarily in the top of the first.

We might sign Cousins or another QB starter, making QB less likely, particularly if our pick isn't in the top 3.
==================
I certainly agree that the top 5 for us are the 2 QB's, the 2 OT's and Harrison. I we can't get the QB's. I could see us trading down a pick or two so someone else can have Harrison.

Issue with this is, we know for a fact all 7 of those QB's aren't going to end up being franchise QB's longterm. Realistically as little as 1 and as many as 3. So there's at least 4 busts straight up in that group. Bowers could be a great TE, but that position is a lot harder to develop and the gap between the top tier TE's and the glorified WR2/3 TE's is huge.

Realistically I'd say of those picks, 2 QB's, 1 of the WR,s and maybe 2 of the others will end up being big hits. Which means 5. And it's highly likely that if we win a few games, the most likely QB's are gone and so is Harrison who will likely be the first non QB gone.
Unfortunately this is too accurate and why I’m personally not excited about drafting an early qb.

It almost feels like playing a high odds lottery that costs a boatload to play. Sure it would be great to enter a multi million dollar lottery with a 1/5-1/8 chance to win, but it hurts a ton if it costs a million to enter and you lose.

The odds get better to at least break even if you have the pick of the litter, but in my entire lifetime (197:cool: there have been 23 QB taken overall and only a few HOF

Elway
Aikman
Manning (P)

Quite a few had really solid careers though
Bledsoe
Palmer
Manning (E)
Alex Smith
Stafford
Luck (had he remained healthy)
Testevarde (? His longevity helped build up surprising career numbers)

then a few likely to end up above
Burrow
Goff

Still too early
Lawrence
Murray (trending down)

I’m typing on phone so not super organized

So that’s 23 in 45 years
3 HoF (13%)
7 good to great careers (30%)
2 more likely good to great (9%)
2 unknown (9%)
9 below average, 2-3 solid seasons, or busts (39%)

I used my lifetime because why not lol

Let’s say 50/50 they will be a franchise qb for the first overall.

That said, looking at the other picks and without running stats it seems like qb at 50%+ seems better odds than other positions.

And now that I’m thinking more, it almost makes me wonder if BB should trade down a few slots since the top 10 really just seems like a gamble. A very good odds gamble, but a gamble.

May as well pick up more good entries into that lottery in exchange for slightly worse odds. No? Using AZ/HOU as example he could trade down 9ish spots and get a high first and second and future first and third.

Four picks in the first 40-45 could be nice

Much depends on which pick we have, who we extend, and who sign in free agency.

For example, we could extend both Brown and Onwenu, expecting to draft an OT but not necessarily in the top of the first.

We might sign Cousins or another QB starter, making QB less likely, particularly if our pick isn't in the top 3.
==================
I certainly agree that the top 5 for us are the 2 QB's, the 2 OT's and Harrison. I we can't get the QB's. I could see us trading down a pick or two so someone else can have Harrison.
I’d rather sign Cousins for 2-3, trade down to pick up another first and second and then grab a QB later on to mentor under him for 1-2 seasons.

This way you’re guaranteed a competent QB who can win now while they have more talented rookies and ideally FA signings. Can quickly right this ship

If we don't get one of Maye, Williams or Harrison I'd be up for a trade back to 10-12 or thereabouts. Draft a decent tackle, a WR and for QB draft Jayden Daniels and get him on a diet to put ON some weight otherwise he could break easily.

BTW I agree with the OPs general premise in that tanking is for career losers. We should play hard until double 0's in the last game, If we end up 2-15 or 5-12 we've still got plenty of options.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back