PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats only need a top 10 pick to get a blue chip star in draft

If the Pats end up being the first or second pick and neither Chicago or Arizona are higher than them with two first rounders each, I think the Pats need to consider trading back or even with another team who might give up three firsts. This team isn't one player away and this draft seems to be stacked compared to previous years. They might be better off trading down in the top ten and acquiring other first rounders to build the team.
That sounds good but not IF He's the GM.

That sounds good but not IF He's the GM.

If the Pats have the #1 or #2 pick, Belichick will no longer be with the Patriots.

If the Pats have the #1 or #2 pick, Belichick will no longer be with the Patriots.
So I guess they are parting ways at the end this not a good Offensive Team.

if there is a QB or player that could be a cornerstone in the top 5, and they're at say... pick 8.. then they need to package some picks and/or players to get the one they want

we need a cornerstone QB, LT and WR

If they can’t land either of the top 2 qb’s, my next option is Harrison JR then either if the top two tackles.

I know they need tackle help but it’ll be hard to pass up on a talent like Harrison, address tackle in free agency or day two of the draft.
OK, I agree, those are the top 5, and probably will be the top 5 on the patriot board.

if there is a QB or player that could be a cornerstone in the top 5, and they're at say... pick 8.. then they need to package some picks and/or players to get the one they want

we need a cornerstone QB, LT and WR
If they are 7 or 8. I don't think that they would trade up. to the top 2. 3-5 would certainly be tempting.

it doesn't matter who the QB is, Bill can win with any top 15 QB in the league....

7 super exciting QB's (Williams, Maye, Penix, Sanders, Nix, McCarthy and Daniels)
At this moment, it's unlikely Sanders will declare, and Penix is way too risky a pick with his injury history. Jury is still out on the value of the last three.

7 super exciting QB's (Williams, Maye, Penix, Sanders, Nix, McCarthy and Daniels)
2 star receiver (Harrison, Nabers)
3 great OT's (Fashanu, Alt and Latham)
1 great TE (Bowers)

They only need a top 10 pick. So its fine if they win a few games...just do not falll out of top 10.
I thought at first if Pats fell out of the top 3 draft an offensive tackle and trade back up for Bo Nix. The problem with that is Nix might be the 3rd QB taken off the board. I don't trust Penix with that funky throwing motion and injury history. He's also been very average in big games. A statue in the pocket is another knock...Gives me Drew Bledsoe vibes. Sanders already said he's not coming out.

Last edited:
Harrison Jr and then trade back into the first for Nix. He’s a match made in heaven with Harrison. Best back shoulder throw qb in the draft.
Just saw your post, I love that idea but Nix might be the 3rd QB off the board. Lot of needy QB teams out there.

I'd like to see another 2nd rounder to go opposite keion White or maybe trade back in the first and get another guard opposite strange.

The 2021 QB draft was a dumpster fire.

The 2020 QB draft was good and this 2024 QB draft is purported to be good.

2021​
1​
1​
1​
1​
Trevor Lawrence​
Jaguars​
Clemson​
2​
1​
2​
2​
Zach Wilson​
Jets​
Brigham Young​
3​
1​
3​
3​
Trey Lance​
49ers​
North Dakota State​
4​
1​
11​
11​
Justin Fields​
Bears​
Ohio State​
5​
1​
15​
15​
Mac Jones​
Patriots​
Alabama​
6​
2​
32​
64​
Kyle Trask​
Buccaneers​
Florida​
7​
3​
2​
66​
Kellen Mond​
Vikings​
Texas A&M​
8​
3​
3​
67​
Davis Mills​
Texans​
Stanford​
9​
4​
28​
133​
Ian Book​
Saints​
Notre Dame​
10​
6​
34​
218​
Sam Ehlinger​
Colts​
Texas​

Harrison Jr and then trade back into the first for Nix. He’s a match made in heaven with Harrison. Best back shoulder throw qb in the draft.
I have kind of moved into Nix being number 1 for me. I am little worried we might go with someone else if we draft too high, partly because it wouold be perceived as 'stupid" to not go after Maye or Williams. I think Williams at least is showing more and more potential to not live up to the hupe, even though he wouldnt be an outright bust.

Let me paraprhase

Pats only need a new gm to finally get a blue chip player
Our gm right now has a pretty good record with first round players. The last two times he’s had a top 10 he picked Seymour and then the other one he traded back from 7-10 to get Mayo. It’s rounds 2-7 which have been frustrating the last 7 or so years. Some hits here and there for sure though. Just some glaring bad ones as well.

I have kind of moved into Nix being number 1 for me. I am little worried we might go with someone else if we draft too high, partly because it wouold be perceived as 'stupid" to not go after Maye or Williams. I think Williams at least is showing more and more potential to not live up to the hupe, even though he wouldnt be an outright bust.
He’s rising big time in the draft. Last month he was projected as a late 1st early 2nd. Right now he’s looking top 15.

I could live with him being the 3rd pick although when it comes to Harrison jr that would be a different matter. He’s generational. It would be like passing on Randy Moss or Justin Jefferson. So many teams did and they wish they hadn’t.

Nix has brought his A game to all the big matchups and he’s come out pretty clean. He’s one of the 3 qbs that can make all of the NFL throws right now. Gotta love the back shoulder passes he makes. I really like the player and not sure what the detractors are looking at.

2 star receiver (Harrison, Nabers)
3 great OT's (Fashanu, Alt and Latham)
1 great TE (Bowers)

They only need a top 10 pick. So its fine if they win a few games...just do not falll out of top 10.
Don't think you need to worry about that. Bill is tanking. It's obvious.

Harrison. Fash

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back