PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 NFL midterm observations, surprises and disappointments

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Surprise - Surprise - Surprise

Geno Smith and the 6 - 3 Seahawks. Seattle is one of the premiere NFL franchises from coaching to front office. Pete Carroll sure learned something from his NY Jets and NE Pats days. It looked like Seattle was selling the farm trading Wilson and talking about offers for DK Metcalf. Just a pure genius move moving Wilson before the truth came out.

Disappointment

For me its the Steelers. At 2 - 6 they have cashed out. 31st ranked offense and 24th ranked defense. They still have to face the Ravens twice and the Browns in the finale. This was a 2021 post season team that brought the majority of its best players back. Tribisky can play much better than he did, but perhaps his career is over.

Observations

1 - Dolphin Wifebeater Tyreek already has 100 targets and 1004 receiving yards in only 9 games. But just 3 TDs.
2 - Daniel Jones leads the NFL with 5 game winning drives.
3 - Geno Smith leads the NFL with a 73% completion rate.
4 - If the Playoffs were held right now the Bills, Jets and Dolphins would all be in and the Pats outside looking in.
5 - The 3 - 6 Jaguars lead the NFL in 1st downs with 203.
6 - The Pats lead the NFL in offensive turnovers with 17 and the Eagles are the best at not giving the ball up with only 3 turnovers.

Geno Smith is definitely a surprise and it kind of makes me happy. I listen to the Around the NFL podcast and one of the hosts, Dan Hanzus, is a big Jets fan and loves taking shots at the Patriots and he reluctantly has to watch one of his former "bust" QBs succeed while he roots for another bum. I am sure Geno will turn back into a pumpkin at some point but if his streak tweaks and obnoxious Jets fan that I will root for Geno to keep playing well.

As much as i hate them the jets are probably my biggest suprise. Figured theyd no longer be a pushover but never 6-3. Hoping they come back down to earth.

Disappointment- rams. They are horrible. Stafford im not sure about how hurt he is but goff is better right now. At least they got their ring last year.

If the nfc south continues its path it may be the worst division since 2010 when the 7-9 seahawks won the nfc west. Honestly think the winner will be 7-10.

Eagles and dolphins big acquisitions are paying off thus far. Lets see where it ultimately goes though. Vegas, bigtime fail. Chargers, tbd but not looking good. Denver is f’d .

Another surprise/disappointment are a-a-ron & the (fudge)Packers... Dude got his last big payday, and now he's checked-out...

Yet another are McD & the Faidahs... Really thought that they would have a good season because I felt that Skippy had learned his lessons in the decade since his last HC gig... Having just placed both Waller & Renfroe on IR certainly isn't going to help their 2nd-half chances...

Nothing against Brian Daboll, but... A pox on both Exit-16W franchises; I hope they come crashing back to earth in spectacular fashion.

The surprises like the Seahawks, Vikings, Giants, Titans continuously hanging around and the Eagles being undefeated are because the league has become that bad.

The Pats hanging around with the roster they have is a big surprise, but they now have a chance of making the playoffs for reasons stated above.

The NFL as a whole is the worst brand of football I’ve seen since 2008. The league is really lacking true super star players. Too many rosters have no namers and JAGs starting. The direction the league is going is the biggest disappointment.

Last edited:
...The NFL as a whole is the worst brand of football I’ve seen since 2008. The league is really lacking true super star players. Too many rosters have no namers and JAGs starting. The direction the league is going is the biggest disappointment.

It's not the lack of true superstar players that's the (or even A) problem... It's the lack pf padded practices while adding yet another game to the schedule... That, and the over-protection, to the point of coddling & favoring, of QBs & (to a bit lesser extent) WRs... Because chicks dig the long ball...

As much as i hate them the jets are probably my biggest suprise. Figured theyd no longer be a pushover but never 6-3. Hoping they come back down to earth.

Disappointment- rams. They are horrible. Stafford im not sure about how hurt he is but goff is better right now. At least they got their ring last year.

If the nfc south continues its path it may be the worst division since 2010 when the 7-9 seahawks won the nfc west. Honestly think the winner will be 7-10.

Eagles and dolphins big acquisitions are paying off thus far. Lets see where it ultimately goes though. Vegas, bigtime fail. Chargers, tbd but not looking good. Denver is f’d .
I am really hoping we beat the Jets next week and that starts their implosion. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the wheels fall off after a promising start and I don’t think it is too far fetched considering they have no QB.

Geno Smith is easily the biggest surprise (favorably) in the NFL this season. That said, he still has plenty of time to screw it up. The 49ers should win that division.

Pittsburgh crumbled with the T.J. Watt injury and their quarterbacks are terrible. There was little chance a team led by Trubisky or Pickett was going to finish ahead of teams led by Jackson and Burrow.

The AFC is shaping up as would have been expected. Buffalo, Baltimore, Kansas City and Tennessee leading their divisions. Cincinnati and LAC looking like probable wild card teams. Miami will probably grab the last playoff spot which isn't too surprising. The Jets are a surprise at 6-3 with a clown like Wilson at quarterback but he has had nothing to do with their winning and there's no way their record holds up. You'd have to put Mac Jones in the disappointment category. He had better start playing better (or get replaced by Zappe) by December or the Patriots season will be heading south with the Jets.

The NFC has been completely out of sorts. LAR, Green Bay and Tampa Bay all under .500 and having disappointing seasons. Even the 49ers are only 4-4 with some really inexcusable losses to Chicago, Denver and Atlanta. LAR and Green Bay look cooked before Thanksgiving. Tampa Bay benefits from that horrendous division and really they're talented enough to get hot and make a run in the postseason. I really don't think Philadelphia and Minnesota are good enough to be a combined 15-1 and I wouldn't be surprised if they're closer to .500 the rest of the way (although, Philly has a pretty soft schedule remaining). Too me the Cowboys and 49ers look like the best teams in the NFC and both could overtake their division.

MVP of the NFL right now is Mahomes. He moved ahead of Allen over the last two weeks.

A player to keep an eye on for the remainder of the season is Justin Fields. Since they let him loose with designed running plays he's really looked like an entirely different quarterback, running and passing. I'm still skeptical but he could be building on some solid momentum for a breakout season. Certainly right now he suddenly looks like the most promising quarterback from that 2021 draft class.

The Pats hanging around with the roster they have is a big surprise, but they now have a chance of making the playoffs for reasons stated above.

I'm surprised how much the Pats roster gets described as having no talent. They would be 7-2 with decent qb play (not here to fight about whose fault that is or whatever, everyone has already expressed their opinions on that). This team has plenty of talent.

I am really hoping we beat the Jets next week and that starts their implosion. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the wheels fall off after a promising start and I don’t think it is too far fetched considering they have no QB.

I thought thats what would happen after the win at nj but then they somehow beat buffalo. Their schedule is very tough down the stretch though so it could come eventually i hope

I'm surprised how much the Pats roster gets described as having no talent. They would be 7-2 with decent qb play (not here to fight about whose fault that is or whatever, everyone has already expressed their opinions on that). This team has plenty of talent.
Aside from Judon, they don’t have anyone remotely close to his level.

Where is the roster that bad?

Not TE,RB,WR,DB,DL,LB,K,KR

OL has effected the QB play. Punter has effected field position.
You’re looking at an illusion. This team has barely been tested and won’t get tested much as there are a lot of bad teams. Now Josh Allen is injured.

You self destruct committing 17 turnovers that lead the NFL.

Unacceptable.

You’re looking at an illusion. This team has barely been tested and won’t get tested much as there are a lot of bad teams. Now Josh Allen is injured.
Almost took out Rodgers in GB.
Led the Ravens 20 - 14 in the 3rd quarter.
Right this minute the Jets in are in the playoffs.

Almost took out Rodgers in GB.
Led the Ravens 20 - 14 in the 3rd quarter.
Right this minute the Jets in are in the playoffs.
Almost isn't good enough. Rodgers and the Packers are terrible. Ravens beat the brakes off them in the 4th.

1-2 vs teams over .500
4-2 vs teams below .500.

This is the same trap many fell in last year where 7 of their 10 wins were against teams below .500 and beat down really bad teams. Again, the good news is the Pats play many bad teams when this second half of the season was supposed to be a gauntlet.

Almost isn't good enough. Rodgers and the Packers are terrible. Ravens beat the brakes off them in the 4th.

1-2 vs teams over .500
4-2 vs teams below .500.

This is the same trap many fell in last year where 7 of their 10 wins were against teams below .500 and beat down really bad teams. Again, the good news is the Pats play many bad teams when this second half of the season was supposed to be a gauntlet.
The Browns are ranked 2nd @ rushing TDs. The Bears are 8th and the Jets are 9th. Yes, the Jets lost their # 1 RB and they just beat the Bills without him.

The Dolphins are ranked 4th @ passing TDs. The Ravens are 5th, the Lions 9th and Packers 10th.

The Pats have faced teams that are good at something.

The roster isnt the issue. NE being ranked 2nd in fumbles and INTs is. 2022 NFL Standings & Team Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Browns are ranked 2nd @ rushing TDs. The Bears are 8th and the Jets are 9th. Yes, the Jets lost their # 1 RB and they just beat the Bills without him.

The Dolphins are ranked 4th @ passing TDs. The Ravens are 5th, the Lions 9th and Packers 10th.

The Pats have faced teams that are good at something.

The roster isnt the issue. NE being ranked 2nd in fumbles and INTs is. 2022 NFL Standings & Team Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Funny how this board is. Posters were having meltdowns after every loss starting threads of which coaches and players should be fired and cut. But no matter who they beat, everything is suddenly fine.

Come talk to me when they win a playoff game or two in January with this roster/coaching staff (Bill's worst staff). Given the state of the NFL, it's certainly possible.

Funny how this board is. Posters were having meltdowns after every loss starting threads of which coaches and players should be fired and cut. But no matter who they beat, everything is suddenly fine.

Come talk to me when they win a playoff game or two in January with this roster/coaching staff (Bill's worst staff). Given the state of the NFL, it's certainly possible.
Where am I wrong?

The only game where the Pats were dominated was Miami. The Ravens and Bears games came down to turnovers. The Pats were in both games. The Pats were in the Packers game too with a Pats QB out of left field. How is it the coaching staffs fault when the offense is giving the ball away at a pace that leads the league?

Believe in our QB Mac. You're going to see a Mac at full strength after the Pats bye. Were back in business.

Aside from Judon, they don’t have anyone remotely close to his level.
Isn't Jack Jones and Jonathan jones performing at top of their position.

What about our safeties - probably the best,

Onwenu top 3 guard.

Rham is a top 5 RB.

Meyers is a top 20- 25 wide receiver based on stats .

Marcus Jones top punt returner.

Nick foles top 5 kickers ?

Wise and Bentley are definitely middle of the pack.

Mac Jones just took a nosedive. Doesn't mean our talent shelf is bare.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back