PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

At running back, I'm growing partial to Royce Freeman. Good size, extremely productive, good in pass pro, used in the passing game, etc. I think he was behind only McCaffrey in all purpose yards last year.

Conner looked like a man on a mission in his first game back. Very courageous young man.

Jarron Jones is firmly on my radar as a replacement for Branch. Big, powerful player on the defensive line who shuts down the run and shows explosive pass rush ability. If he's healthy, he may be in the top half of the first round; let's hope we get another pick from trading Jimmy G.

I'm also liking Chesson and Davis at WR but it's still early. No one stands out like Sterling Shepard last year.

Not that I am for picking a WR likely but this Calvin Ridley kid from Alabama looks sick.

Probably won't declare in this coming draft though. Might be too young anyway.

Saw that. What's wild is he ran for 132, and had one go for 75.

So he had 6 td runs on 57 yards. That's pretty efficient. Just dominated in the red zone. We could use one of those.

He was running out of the wildcat too. I'm not sure why he hasn't become a regular RB for Arizona state. Guy is beastmode. He's 230lb and runs in the 4.4s. However, he is 6'2" which is quite tall for a RB.

He was running out of the wildcat too. I'm not sure why he hasn't become a regular RB for Arizona state. Guy is beastmode. He's 230lb and runs in the 4.4s. However, he is 6'2" which is quite tall for a RB.

I am with you. He cuts well, good acceleration and no dancing. He should be getting the ball a lot in normal sets.

Definitely taller, but not to his detriment like Jalen Hurd. I feel like Hurd has to become Brandon Jacobs to have a shot. Ballage doesn't seem to run very high, and has good balance as well.

Either way, add one more to a very stacked pile of runners.

More Ballage:

And he returns KOs too.

I was watching Oregon's OT Tyrell Crosby today. He doesn't have conventional OT length at 6'4.5" but I was very impressed. I liked his pretty nimble feet and he gets good push in the running game. Played at RT last year but is switching to LT this.

If we don't come out of this draft with a running back, I will retire from this board forever.

Providing they all declare, there's too much strength in this draft not too. There's going to be some really good backs falling into day 3.

Providing they all declare, there's too much strength in this draft not too. There's going to be some really good backs falling into day 3.

That's it. prosise was the 5th back taken last year, and I really liked him.

I don't know if he's top 10 this year.

That's it. prosise was the 5th back taken last year, and I really liked him.

I don't know if he's top 10 this year.

The only backs from last year that belong in the conversation in this group are, to my mind, Zeke and J Will and possibly Henry.

The only backs from last year that belong in the conversation in this group are, to my mind, Zeke and J Will and possibly Henry.

Yep, it's a really special group. I felt like last year there wasn't much separating one back from the next. All pretty similar builds and skills.

This years group seems bigger and more dynamic. I also think Henry will have a big year, which may start a new phase of big backs in the league.

And one more name just for fun.

Donnel pumphrey

Small school guy, and a tiny guy as well.

But....

Good chance that by the end of the year he will be in range for the heisman, all time leader in yards from scrimmage, and single season from scrimmage. He went for 310 yds from scrimmage last night, and broke Marshall faulks school records in the process.

He's a little guy with track speed that isn't afraid to run in the middle. Doesn't quite have Lewis's shake, but his breakaway speed is real. He can get to the edge like few can. He also lines up in the slot a lot, and can really do some damage as a receiver with very natural hands. I think he could be a dominant slot receiver if he had to be moved.

He can also not block at all right now, but that may be since he's already 90% of the offense and try can't afford to lose him.

I watched me minesota's giant tight end this weekend. Wasniak 6'10" and 270 pounds. Decent blocker.

This is a guy that could interest bb if he runs well,

I'm with reamer on Rolls Royce. Admittedly I'm a Duck fan but Freeman is really good. Athletic for his size, can catch and isn't over worked. I think a lot of people associate Duck RB with the small ones like LaMichael James, Barner, Thomas, etc. but Freeman is not that. Replacing one Duck RB with another would definitely work for me.

I'm with reamer on Rolls Royce. Admittedly I'm a Duck fan but Freeman is really good. Athletic for his size, can catch and isn't over worked. I think a lot of people associate Duck RB with the small ones like LaMichael James, Barner, Thomas, etc. but Freeman is not that. Replacing one Duck RB with another would definitely work for me.

My question for those that watch freeman, is he a definitive back? I can't seem to get a feel for his running style. He's very herky jerky in his motions, which can get defenses on their heels, but I haven't seen him just hit the hole and go.

In the little I have seen, it seems like he's doing a lot of improvising, and maybe not the most decisive?

He really does intrigue me though, since his strange cuts seem to not let him get hit squarely. And he seems to have the size and speed combo that will be required.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back