PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

My question for those that watch freeman, is he a definitive back? I can't seem to get a feel for his running style. He's very herky jerky in his motions, which can get defenses on their heels, but I haven't seen him just hit the hole and go.

In the little I have seen, it seems like he's doing a lot of improvising, and maybe not the most decisive?

He really does intrigue me though, since his strange cuts seem to not let him get hit squarely. And he seems to have the size and speed combo that will be required.

He can lower his shoulder and hit the hole when required. I've watched a lot of his tapes, and while I don't think he's at Corey Dillon's level, he is definitely not a Maroney, either. He's reminds me of a lesser version of Marshawn Lynch, although he doesn't break as many tackles. Similar run style though.

Royce Freeman | Draft Breakdown if you want to catch up to speed.

I should mention that his 2015 tape is pretty bad. Huge increase in decisiveness, quickness, and power so far this year. Looks like a much improved player.

Last edited:
Catching up on the Alabama games. If we end up with any of their 5 first round talents, I will be very happy.

Jonathan Allen is just so smart and vicious with his hands. He is quickly becoming my favourite defensive prospect this year. Not the athleticsm of Myles Garrett, but he just doesn't make mistakes. He is so composed and absolutely controls linemen with his arms. You simply just don't see linemen with such good technique and incredibly strong hands. He gets exactly what he wants on every play. He's just an absolute terror. His frame isn't what you would hope for at 6'1-6'3 and 280-295, but the lack of girth doesn't keep him from breaking down any line. He could get moved around from outside and in, giving him a lot of 3 down flexibility.

Tim Williams is basically Jabaal Sheard. Great size and physicality, who is a terror once he makes it around the corner. Has great size and length, and I don't think he is going to get pushed over from anyone. He has some room to grow, so this isn't a pick with a low ceiling. He will hold up very well on the outside and can drop a bit. I see him falling to the end of the 1st, top of the 2nd, which could make an interesting possibility depending on which free agents we keep.

Reuben Foster is a guy I keep trying to figure out who his comparables are. I mentioned Kuechly because of his side to side movement, but he doesn't quite have that level. He is incredible at dissecting plays and closes incredibly fast. Sometimes he has to wrap up better oppose to just hit a guy, but I like the fire a lot. If I had to find a name to compare, Thomas Davis or Bobby Wagner are the best I can come up with. Just a guy you can use anywhere you want, in any situation you need. Ultimate chess piece.

OJ Howard is still my favourite guy to target since I think at some point, we need some long term Gronk insurance, and OJ is the most physically gifted TE since Gronk. We have seen glimpses of the talent, but am definitely ok with Saban keeping that under wraps, as he's just developing the other parts he needed to. He went there an athlete, and I think he will leave a football player. I like him a ton more than Butt, and Engram is just a good receiver, and Hodges is just a bigger receiver. Howard has the potential to do it all.

I won't touch on Humphreys, but I think he has some high end talent as well. I am not as strong as others of separating corners from their defenses, but his physical skills are impressive.

I will be very interested to see how many points this defense gives up this year. They just get after the QB and control the line of scrimmage. What they did to USC with a lot of NFL talent on it, just absurd what they were able to do.

Catching up on the Alabama games. If we end up with any of their 5 first round talents, I will be very happy.

Jonathan Allen is just so smart and vicious with his hands. He is quickly becoming my favourite defensive prospect this year. Not the athleticsm of Myles Garrett, but he just doesn't make mistakes. He is so composed and absolutely controls linemen with his arms. You simply just don't see linemen with such good technique and incredibly strong hands. He gets exactly what he wants on every play. He's just an absolute terror. His frame isn't what you would hope for at 6'1-6'3 and 280-295, but the lack of girth doesn't keep him from breaking down any line. He could get moved around from outside and in, giving him a lot of 3 down flexibility.

Tim Williams is basically Jabaal Sheard. Great size and physicality, who is a terror once he makes it around the corner. Has great size and length, and I don't think he is going to get pushed over from anyone. He has some room to grow, so this isn't a pick with a low ceiling. He will hold up very well on the outside and can drop a bit. I see him falling to the end of the 1st, top of the 2nd, which could make an interesting possibility depending on which free agents we keep.

Reuben Foster is a guy I keep trying to figure out who his comparables are. I mentioned Kuechly because of his side to side movement, but he doesn't quite have that level. He is incredible at dissecting plays and closes incredibly fast. Sometimes he has to wrap up better oppose to just hit a guy, but I like the fire a lot. If I had to find a name to compare, Thomas Davis or Bobby Wagner are the best I can come up with. Just a guy you can use anywhere you want, in any situation you need. Ultimate chess piece.

OJ Howard is still my favourite guy to target since I think at some point, we need some long term Gronk insurance, and OJ is the most physically gifted TE since Gronk. We have seen glimpses of the talent, but am definitely ok with Saban keeping that under wraps, as he's just developing the other parts he needed to. He went there an athlete, and I think he will leave a football player. I like him a ton more than Butt, and Engram is just a good receiver, and Hodges is just a bigger receiver. Howard has the potential to do it all.

I won't touch on Humphreys, but I think he has some high end talent as well. I am not as strong as others of separating corners from their defenses, but his physical skills are impressive.

I will be very interested to see how many points this defense gives up this year. They just get after the QB and control the line of scrimmage. What they did to USC with a lot of NFL talent on it, just absurd what they were able to do.

The safety Jackson is a first round talent as well.

PFF like Wake Forest DE/OLB Duke Ejiofor. Unfortunately no DB videos yet. He's 6'4" and 270lbs and a redshirt Junior. A name to keep an eye on.

Ejiofor sniffs out the screen.

Gets the sack. I like his ability to close on the QB which you can also see in the below highlight reel.

Welcome to the draft process, Kalen Ballage: Everyone knows the names of the stud running backs, but who has even had Arizona State’s Kalen Ballage on the radar heading into the season?

Today's Pigskin NFL Draft Roundup: Say Hello To Kalen Ballage

boy-hand-up.jpg

:):cool:

I can't stop watching Jabrill Peppers highlights and game tape. Part fascination and interest, and partially trying to project his talent.

On paper, he's everything. Good to great speed. Great to excellent agility. Excellent size for a corner. Great size for a free safety. Good size for box/star safety. Good enough hands to play offense, but no INTs and a couple dropped opportunities.

From a physical comparison point of view, we haven't really seen one like him in awhile. If he's a corner, he should measure out almost identical to Revis. But Revis was a master technician to go with incredible physical gifts. He should also measure out quite similar to Ed Reed, but Reed was A+ on production, which hasn't transpired yet on defense. Punt and kick returning is a huge stock inflator for any player, but I can't remember too many top 10 picks being burdened with that injury risk.

I know Deone Buchanan is the name that gets used a lot, but I think Peppers will test out faster. Actually, the physical metrics that I think he will match best will be Braxton Miller last year. If he can put up those types of combine numbers, while throwing up huge production numbers, he might end up being a top 3 pick.

Personally, I doubt he goes quite that high, but from this early in the season, he's the guy I am most intrigued to see what he does with his physical tools. I really think he could be the next Ed Reed if he can channel his abilities into output.

Looks like we may get the answer to the great What IF question of this football generation:

What would happen if Michael Vick got drafted today, opposed to 15 years ago?

Lamar Jackson might as well be his twin. It's uncanny. The flick of the wrist for 50 yards. Running through holes that no one else can. Big play after big play. He's eviscerating a team that thought would be fighting for a college football championship again. They can't even touch him.

The awesome news is that we get to see him do this for two years of college ball. Plus he has a legit college coach with an NFL style system, so he won't run around with his head cut off when he makes the league.

Looks like we may get the answer to the great What IF question of this football generation:

Lamar Jackson might as well be his twin. It's uncanny. The flick of the wrist for 50 yards. Running through holes that no one else can. Big play after big play. He's eviscerating a team that thought would be fighting for a college football championship again. They can't even touch him.

The awesome news is that we get to see him do this for two years of college ball. Plus he has a legit college coach with an NFL style system, so he won't run around with his head cut off when he makes the league.
I think he still has to play another year though because he wasnt redshirted

Not necessarily in terms of athleticism or size, but in terms of role, Colorado CB Chidobe Awuzie reminds me a little of Kyle Arrington. Slot corner who plays well when the ball is in front of him, can blitz effectively and is excellent at run defense. My kind of corner.

Okay, he's unblocked but hits like a truck.

I hadn't heard about Jackson until today and Holy hell! A little worried that he might be an RGIII clone, he looks a little slim but he can run. At least he's got a couple of years to develop.

I can't stop watching Jabrill Peppers highlights and game tape. Part fascination and interest, and partially trying to project his talent.

On paper, he's everything. Good to great speed. Great to excellent agility. Excellent size for a corner. Great size for a free safety. Good size for box/star safety. Good enough hands to play offense, but no INTs and a couple dropped opportunities.

From a physical comparison point of view, we haven't really seen one like him in awhile. If he's a corner, he should measure out almost identical to Revis. But Revis was a master technician to go with incredible physical gifts. He should also measure out quite similar to Ed Reed, but Reed was A+ on production, which hasn't transpired yet on defense. Punt and kick returning is a huge stock inflator for any player, but I can't remember too many top 10 picks being burdened with that injury risk.

I know Deone Buchanan is the name that gets used a lot, but I think Peppers will test out faster. Actually, the physical metrics that I think he will match best will be Braxton Miller last year. If he can put up those types of combine numbers, while throwing up huge production numbers, he might end up being a top 3 pick.

Personally, I doubt he goes quite that high, but from this early in the season, he's the guy I am most intrigued to see what he does with his physical tools. I really think he could be the next Ed Reed if he can channel his abilities into output.

He's a great matchup guy. Put him up against a TE or against a big WR on the outside or scoot him up into the box if the opponents are running the ball. They're different sizes and athleticism but I keep seeing Tyrann Mathieu in terms of his ability to affect all phases of the game on defense. I'd like to see more of Peppers in coverage though and would also like to know more about his 'football head'.

I hadn't heard about Jackson until today and Holy hell! A little worried that he might be an RGIII clone, he looks a little slim but he can run. At least he's got a couple of years to develop.

I think him having another full year with petrino should help him a lot. I did think of rg3 as well, but I think a pros system to start should help brush over those concerns a little.

It was the first time in awhile I felt like I was watching something special. Rg3 was great, but it was a small pocket of time. To do what he did against Florida state is almost without comparison. I just hope he can stay healthy, cause their is no ceiling for that type of talent.

He's a great matchup guy. Put him up against a TE or against a big WR on the outside or scoot him up into the box if the opponents are running the ball. They're different sizes and athleticism but I keep seeing Tyrann Mathieu in terms of his ability to affect all phases of the game on defense. I'd like to see more of Peppers in coverage though and would also like to know more about his 'football head'.

That's exactly it. I know versatility is incredibly important in the pro's, and especially New England, but it's strange that we don't know where on the field he is good at yet.

I feel like his physical profile should make him a potential all time great free safety, but he's spent almost no time there. Linebacker is a neat idea, but it's really cutting down on the amount of effect he can have.

With mathieu we knew what he could do at each position and that his skill should carry to the next level. With peppers, that is still being revealed.

As a comparable, Jamal Adams is eric berry from start to end. Maybe not the flash of peppers, but you can see exactly where he fits at the next level. Not that he is the better prospect, but easier to project his effect on the game.

Love Peppers. Think in the right scheme he's an absolute gamechanger.

Freeman went down with a knee injury today. I hope he recovers well.

Haven't had a chance to watch games this week. My city is holding a huge arts festival and my wife and I have been taking in the sights and sounds. I may get to tune in to the evening games. In the meantime, I'm loving these conversations. Great stuff, guys! :)

Aaaand jabrill just blew the game open with a wild punt return.

There's your honey badger, Manx.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back