PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

For those who like to look for hidden freaks, here is someone who will most assuredly get a lot of hype come draft season.

Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova
6'7 290lbs
40 TKLs
19.5 TFLs
8.5 Sacks

I am not sure what the right comparison is here, but this guy is a freak athlete. He's almost 290lbs, but he moves around the edge like Chandler Jones. It's incredible seeing a guy that projects as a 5 Tech move so well laterally, and be able to bend the corner. He is obviously more than just a physical specimen though, as his production had him named defensive player of the year in his conference, and named to the Senior Bowl.

I have been looking at three different types of linemen for the Pats for very different purposes.

1. The mammoth NT to handle the run and double teams (Vea, Lotulelei)
2. The elephant end that can bend the corner and hold the edge in the run game ( Taco Charlton, Duke Ejiofor)
3. The sub rusher who can move around the defensive line on passing downs with potential. This is where I see Tanoh fitting in, as he obviously has very impressive abilities that could be maximized on 3rd down. The added benefit of being able to possibly kick out to the edge on occasion, and having a lot of growth still available in his game, makes him very intriguing to me. I had been looking mostly at undersized 3 Techs like Brantley, but this guy has a few extra levels he can climb.

He's also a really smart kid with off the chart intangibles. I can't wait for Mobile and see how he does against some legit linemen who can push back against him.

There isn't a ton of video of him out there, but this will give you a better idea about his athletic potential.

Nick DeLuca, LB, NDSU

We’ve reached a point where it seems like every year there are a couple of legit NFL prospects coming from the FCS powerhouse Bison, and this year is no different. Nick DeLuca is their star linebacker, who has the prototypical size and athleticism to be able to play either the MIKE or SAM in a 4-3, or either inside backer position in a 3-4. He is an excellent form tackler, something that is becoming increasingly rare in favor of the shoulder dropping big hits. He has the athleticism to drop into coverage, but at 6’3, 244 also has the size to be a force in the run game. He diagnoses and reacts to plays on a level that I’ve only seen from Reuben Foster so far through the draft process. For a team looking for a playmaker at linebacker but not wanting to spend a top pick, this is the guy.

(DeLuca is no secret to draft geeks and I think hes legit. Late 2nd-early 3rd right now imo)

Funny you mentioned this, because I've been watching DeLuca lately. He reminds me of Luke Kuechly. Don't think he'll perform at that kind of all pro level, necessarily, but they have such good read and react skills, and Deluca has great instincts in the passing game. I've seen several interceptions that were vintage Kuechly plays -- dropping into a zone, and breaking on the ball before it's even thrown, to take the pick to the house. Very interested in seeing if his medicals check out after the injuries this year.

CBs Gareon Conley and Marshon Lattimore have combined for seven interceptions and 12 other passes defended, with just one touchdown yielded between the two of them. Safety Malik Hooker leads the Big Ten with five interceptions, and QBs have a rating of just 38.2 when he is the primary defender in coverage.

Taco Charlton (81.5 pass rush grade, 36th in the nation),
Michigan can bring the heat from all angles.Charlton is especially key as his grade doesn’t do him justice as he’s played hurt for much of the season and he’s been a dominant presence both against the run and as a pass-rusher in recent weeks.

Cornerback Jourdan Lewis had our top coverage grade a year ago and he currently ranks fifth overall in the nation at 88.3. The other story on the back end has been the emergence of fellow CB Channing Stribling who currently boasts the No. 17 coverage grade at 86.2.

PFF

where is Jarrad Davis LB Florida projected to go?

where is Jarrad Davis LB Florida projected to go?

I'd be surprised if he got out of the first. Definitely a top 3 lb for me.
He's a very good prospect and most sites will have him as a top 50 pick worst case scenario.

Anzalone is an intriguing guy in his own right.

I'd be surprised if he got out of the first. Definitely a top 3 lb for me.
He's a very good prospect and most sites will have him as a top 50 pick worst case scenario.

Anzalone is an intriguing guy in his own right.

One of the rare cases we disagree. Davis overshoots gaps too often for my liking, and he doesn't seem instinctive in coverage. Now, his coaches like him, and much smarter football minds rate him highly, so I could very well be nitpicking, but I don't love him as a prospect.

One of the rare cases we disagree. Davis overshoots gaps too often for my liking, and he doesn't seem instinctive in coverage. Now, his coaches like him, and much smarter football minds rate him highly, so I could very well be nitpicking, but I don't love him as a prospect.

I tend to agree. I don't love his instincts, and I think his size will effect the teams that look at him.

I think he's a solid day 2 pick, I just wouldn't go higher

Nice I love hear differing opinions. It only helps.

I like JD a lot. I really think he's a safe pick with a lot of upside. A guy who can come in right away and play the middle or weak side. Also think because of his range he could play a "rover" role in zone esp.

Hes such a violent hitter and never afraid to make a play or get dirty. No hesitation. His acceleration and closing speed are really what seals it for me. Hes a sideline to sideline guy imo.

Not the biggest guy, kinda lean. Listed around 6'2/235 so he'll play a lil taller at times than you'll like. He'll over shoot and over pursue at times. He's an "aggressiveness is part of game" guy, lol I like to call it.

I think hes a def top 40-45 pick.

What do you guys think about Anzalone and Taylor (Houston)?

Can NOT wait for tomorrow. OSU/Mich, Utah/Col, Florida/ST, Auburn/Bama and on ...

OSU/Mich Hype from PFF

Defensively, each team boasts one of the top four cornerbacks in the nation in opposing passer rating allowed as Buckeyes Gareon Conley (11.8 passer rating allowed) and Marshon Lattimore (25.5) and Michigan’s Jourdan Lewis (12.7) and Channing Stribling (21.2) have been among the nation’s best cover corners.

ED Myles Garrett, 82.5 overall / Myles Garrett (87.4) run defense

Also more Garrett hype

Myles Garrett (6'5/265)
That's right, he has been clocked at 22 MPH in practice.

Dorian Johnson, guard from Pitt, really intrigues me. Although I like Mason (a binkie of mine, and one of my entries in Patchick's draft competition that year), I do worry about his pass blocking on occasion. Mason is a fiery run blocker with good movement skills, but I think he would be better as a high quality interior back up, rather than a starter. Enter Johnson.

He has the cleanest pass set I've seen for a guard this year. Very smooth in protection. Agile, graceful mover who probably could kick out to tackle successfully. Excellent target selection and accuracy when pulling or blocking for screens. Big, powerful frame with exceptional conditioning for an interior player. Looks like an oversized TE or fullback; isn't a bulky, blocky guy, but is very strong and well built. Generates movement in the run game, but is more of a tactical blocker with good technique (locks on and keeps his feet active, always seems to be in control and coordinated), but is not a devastating drive blocker.

Huge upside, and I'd take him in the second without hesitation. Personally, I give him a first round grade based on talent alone, but for the Patriots, they might have bigger needs earlier on. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm definitely a big fan, though, and he would lock down the RG position like Thuney has for LG. Decade starter, as far as I'm concerned.

Dorian Johnson, guard from Pitt, really intrigues me. Although I like Mason (a binkie of mine, and one of my entries in Patchick's draft competition that year), I do worry about his pass blocking on occasion. Mason is a fiery run blocker with good movement skills, but I think he would be better as a high quality interior back up, rather than a starter. Enter Johnson.

He has the cleanest pass set I've seen for a guard this year. Very smooth in protection. Agile, graceful mover who probably could kick out to tackle successfully. Excellent target selection and accuracy when pulling or blocking for screens. Big, powerful frame with exceptional conditioning for an interior player. Looks like an oversized TE or fullback; isn't a bulky, blocky guy, but is very strong and well built. Generates movement in the run game, but is more of a tactical blocker with good technique (locks on and keeps his feet active, always seems to be in control and coordinated), but is not a devastating drive blocker.

Huge upside, and I'd take him in the second without hesitation. Personally, I give him a first round grade based on talent alone, but for the Patriots, they might have bigger needs earlier on. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm definitely a big fan, though, and he would lock down the RG position like Thuney has for LG. Decade starter, as far as I'm concerned.

I watched Pitt earlier this year and the offensive tackle popped on tape for me. He might project better at OG, but I liked the power and the feet on him. I gave him a third round grade.

^^^ Adam Bisnowaty? I agree about the switch to G.

Same about Johnson. There's 4-5 really nice G's qnd I want to solidify this oline up the middle.

^^^ Adam Bisnowaty? I agree about the switch to G.

Same about Johnson. There's 4-5 really nice G's qnd I want to solidify this oline up the middle.

I feel thuney is a keeper. Mason is a tremendous run blocker, but just has not taken the next step as a reliable pass blocker.

Center could be upgraded. Cole of Michigan and elfin of Ohio state are two really good ones, but the guy that I think is the best is pocic of LSU. He is a beast. He held his own against the Alabama d line and he might be the only center in college football that can say that. The only draw back is that he is really tall.

PFF (Cook's gif wouldn't upload but it showed his ability to be shifty, elusive and some nice vision and patience. Unfortunately I think he'll drop bc of "off the field" issues. One of a many guys this year)

If that was to be Dalvin Cook’s final game at Doak Campbell Stadium, he made sure to leave his mark and finish his career at home in style. Carrying the ball 26 times, he rushed for 153 yards, forcing nine missed tackles. Averaging 3.7 yards after contact per carry, he pushed himself over the 1,000-yard mark after contact for the first time in his collegiate career. Cook absolutely deserves to be mentioned in the Heisman Trophy conversation, even if it seems inevitable that the honor will go to Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson. With his impressive ability to cut away from defenders, we’re going to be talking about Cook a lot this spring as a draft prospect.

DI Derrick Nnadi, 82.3

DI Demarcus Walker, 80.9

Strength up front for Florida State

Defensively Florida State did a great job against the Gators, but two performances up front really stood out on the defensive line. DeMarcus Walker totaled a sack and six hurries on 40 pass-rushing attempts, and came up with a fumble recovery late in the game, too. Derrick Nnadi rushed the passer 31 times, and registered two sacks and a hurry, including forcing the fumble that was recovered by Walker. While Cook was the big story in Tallahassee, the Seminoles put on a show up front, too.

(Two big boys that you can move around and like to get after the QB. Walker is a guy you can move around and has a nice motor)

CB Quincy Wilson, 91.4

CB Teez Tabor, 89.6

DI Caleb Brantley, 83.7

LB Kylan Johnson, 81.4

ED Jabari Zuniga, 71.1

Big night for Tabor and Wilson

It’s been an impressive season for both Teez Tabor and Quincy Wilson at cornerback for the Gators, and they ended the regular season with another pair of stellar performances. Tabor allowed just three receptions from the seven passes thrown into his coverage, and recorded three pass breakups, while Wilson allowed just two receptions from the six times he was targeted, with two pass breakups of his own. That they managed to break up at many passes as they allowed is an impressive feat, and Tabor and Wilson finish the regular season having allowed an NFL passer rating of just 39.3 and 32.4, respectively, on throws into their coverage, something Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts should be wary of this coming Saturday.

(Man I love this duo. They complement each other so well. Both have games that NFL teams crave. Teez is a gambler that can play man/off/zone etc and his biggest value might be in the slot. He has shown a lot this year.
Wilson is a real 6'1/210 with an NFL body. Thick throughout with a lil bubble and long arms. Every snap his long arms are up, ready to be put in use. He reminds me of Talib except he's not quite the ball hawk at this stage. He likes to keep everything in front of him but has a very nice trail tech to bait. Both guys do a good job of watching the WR's eyes when doing so although Teez is better right now.
Brantley deserves some pub as well. He needs work to be an every down guy in the NFL but can rush the passer and sometimes, like right now.

Its more than ok to "only" do one thing right. Pressuring, hitting, sacking the QB is one the most important plays in football. Theres no substitute for it and you can always improve.
Not to get O.T. but thats one reason why if some dream scenario happened and we got the 1st pick I'd take Garrett. Instant pass rush with crazy potential. The more opportunities Brady has the ball the better for us)

Clemson QB Deshaun Watson completed 26-of-32 passes with four of his six incompletions being dropped. That was good for a 93.8 percent adjusted completion percentage that led the nation’s quarterbacks this week.

Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes threw for 335 yards and five touchdowns on deep passes alone (20-plus yards in air) as he completed six of his nine attempts against Baylor.

With 193 yards on only 23 pass routes, Boise State WR Cedric Wilson gained 8.39 yards/route to lead all receivers this week.

Kansas State edge defender Jordan Willis has been one of the nation’s best his season and he picked up three sacks, two QB hits, and 10 hurries in an incredible effort against Kansas.

While Illinois’ season is over, edge defender Dawuane Smoot leads all defensive linemen with 837 snaps this year.

Michigan CB Jourdan Lewis finished the regular season with eight pass breakups and two interceptions, totaling the same number of catches he allowed on 34 targets (10).

The secondary is one of the nation’s best as they lead in PFF’s cumulative coverage grades behind a talented unit that features good length and a number of playmakers. CBs Ahkello Witherspoon (86.8) and Chidobe Awuzie (85.9) rank among the top 20 at the position while Isaiah Oliver has shown great potential with a 78.8 overall grade. Safety Tedric Thompson seems to make big plays every week and his 85.8 overall grade now ranks sixth among the country’s safeties. They should give Washington all they can handle next week, but regardless of the outcome, Colorado’s re-emergence is one of the great stories of the season.

DT Montravius Adams, 89.5Adams outplays Allen

In a game featuring multiple future first-round picks along the defensive line, Montravius Adams shined above the rest. He consistently controlled the Alabama interior linemen en route to four stops and three hurries on the day. For Adams this is definitely a case of peaking at the right time. Saturday was the second-highest-graded game of the defensive tackle’s career and his last four weeks has been far and away the best stretch of football we’ve seen from him in three years of grading.

(This kid has had my attention for a while. He'll be watched closely by many teams. His size and athleticism are very real 6'3/310. I've seen him bull rush, swim and spin in the same series)

This has to be a good year for a cornerback. So many excellent players. One player not receiving a lot of buzz compared with those listed above is Rasul Douglas, the current interception leader in college football. He has great size (6'2 #205) and really good anticipation. What I love about his game is the way he fights for the ball, sometimes even ripping it from the receiver's arms. His testing numbers will be interesting, and if does well then he may vault into the upper rankings, but right now he is a dark horse. I'd take him with our second or third and by quite happy.

Not that were gling to be in market for running backs, but I liked what I saw from ralph webb the other night, but he is probably staying for his senior year

This has to be a good year for a cornerback. So many excellent players. One player not receiving a lot of buzz compared with those listed above is Rasul Douglas, the current interception leader in college football. He has great size (6'2 #205) and really good anticipation. What I love about his game is the way he fights for the ball, sometimes even ripping it from the receiver's arms. His testing numbers will be interesting, and if does well then he may vault into the upper rankings, but right now he is a dark horse. I'd take him with our second or third and by quite happy.

Absolutely.
I've been keeping an eye on him for a few months now.

He looks the part. His size is there 6'2/205 with long arms. He only gave up one catch for 25 in Man coverage against Westbrook, who looks like an Emmanuel Sanders clone.

Although he does and did have a breakdown in zone in that same game.

Hes been a playmaker but has been more than solid in coverage throughout the year. In other words, hes not just a flashy guy. He went about 2 months with averaging 3 tackles a game.

He has to be a candidate for Big12 defensive player of year?

Definitely "Year of The CB"

2 guys I haven't heard mentioned that absolutely should be are Harold Landry and Matt Milano.

Landry is having a phenomenal year. 15 sacks/20.5 TFL/ 7 FF

I think he could play the Sam in a 43 and def rush the passer. Hes really worked and turned his body NFL ready. And you can tell hes been working on his pass rush moves. Wow those #'s are just crazy.

Milano is a kid that teams will love. I thought he had a really good year and helped himself a lot.

Great background and smart kid. Solid coverage. Showed he can blitz and get through the trash along the line to make a play. Was in the backfield a lot.

I think in 2-3 years he could be a legit player at will 43. If by chance he blows up the combine then he might go higher if teams think he can play that rover/ss position.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back