PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

6. Ryan Ramczyk, LT, Wisconsin

It will take a full team effort to slow Penn State’s pass-rush, but Ramczyk will have to lock it down at left tackle against a rush that gets to the quarterback at the fifth-highest rate in the nation. Penn State’s signature win came over Ohio State when the Nittany Lions pressured QB J.T. Barrett on 28 of his 56 dropbacks — a strong recipe for defensive success.

Ramczyk has emerged as our top offensive tackle prospect in the latest PFF Draft Board, and he’ll have another top challenge this week against DE Garrett Sickels, who ranks 11th in the nation in pass-rush productivity among 4-3 defensive ends at 12.5. Ramczyk has yet to allow a sack this season while giving up just three QB hits and 10 hurries on his 330 attempts, so something has to give in this matchup with Sickels, who sacked Barrett three times in Penn State’s upset of Ohio State.

7. Forrest Lamp, LT, Western Kentucky

We take any and all opportunities to illuminate Lamp’s performance, and he’ll once again be a key player for Western Kentucky this weekend. While the entire line has performed well, ranking fourth in the nation in our latest ranking, Lamp will be matched up against Louisiana Tech’s Jaylon Ferguson, by far the team’s top pass-rusher. Ferguson has 14 sacks, seven QB hits and 23 hurries on 313 rushes this season, and those 42 pressures account for 25 percent of Louisiana Tech’s pressures this season.

Lamp has turned away top pass-rushers before, whether it was a one-pressure performance against Alabama’s loaded front or a clean effort against Florida Atlantic and edge defender Trey Hendrickson, who leads the nation with 78 pressures. On the year, Lamp has only given up two QB hits and a hurry on 346 dropbacks, and another top performance will set the tone for Western Kentucky’s offense.

(He's one of my favorite players in the draft overall and excluding talent. Alabama literally threw everyone at him. 1 on 1's, blitz, stunts etc and he didn't flinch. He and Thuney would make a great pair of G's for the next 5-8 years)

8. Tim Williams, edge defender, Alabama

You can have your pick of almost any player on the Alabama defense, as there are a number of draft prospects who will have an impact in the SEC Championship game against Florida. However, Williams will be going up against true freshman right tackle Jawaan Taylor, who has been solid for a freshman for much of the year, but is coming off a performance in a loss to Florida State in which he gave up five pressures and two sacks.

With Alabama expected to get up early in the game, the Crimson Tide pass-rushers will be unleashed, and Williams is poised to have a big game and shut down any comeback attempt Florida tries to mount. On the season, Williams now has seven sacks, eight QB hits, and 31 hurries on only 204 rushes, bringing his three-year totals to 19 sacks, 17 QB hits and 75 hurries on 400 rushes.

(Williams has been a beast considering those attempts but will be 24 in Nov. Its disappointing for a few different reasons but bottom line is you get a guy that can play now. He has an NFL body and gets his production in different ways besides his quick get off)

9. Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

An undefeated season is on the line for Western Michigan this weekend, as the Broncos look to take home the MAC Championship against Ohio. While the Broncos are loaded on both sides of the ball, the Corey Davis Show has only a few more stops on his way to the NFL. Look for another dominant performance to put the cherry on top of a great career, as the No. 1 receiver on the PFF Draft Board has the skills to win at any level of the defense.Davis is the only receiver to rank among the top 10 at the position each of the last three years, and he leads the nation with 17 receiving touchdowns. Look for him to find the end zone once again to lead Western Michigan to its 13th win of the season.

(Davis was on everyone's radar before the season started but has kicked the down door to a much a bigger stage this year. Hes been great. Reminds me of a cross between Marvin Jones and Victor Cruz)

Good stuff. Speaking of Davis, he had another 150+ yards and a TD tonight. He's easily my favorite receiver in this draft, and I'd be okay with taking him in the first, especially with Gronk's injury history. We may need to retool our offense. Davis is not a diva. Hard worker. Big and smooth, very fast, can make contested catches, and blocks. Reminds me of a bigger Malcolm Mitchell. Coaches absolutely love him.

Oh, and he just happens to be the all time leading receiver in college football history. ;)

Him and Williams will def be in my top 3 and probably battle it out for #1.

Can not wait for Alabama and Florida. As many as 10 first rounders on the two defenses combined.

I still have dt as the pats first round pick. To that end I love via of Washington, but he could be gone by #32. Same lotulului of Utah. That leaves Adams of auburn who is a good player when motivated or vanderhoos of ucla. Maybe we win the lottery and McDowell falls to us.

I'm not sure Vea has even declared. Even if he does, do we have a shot without an extra pick via a Garoppolo trade? It's a fairly deep class, but DT lacks a headliner; if Vea does declare, then he could go in the same range as Poe did a few years ago (11 overall).

Adams comes up a lot lately. He's very athletic, and clearly shows huge potential as a pass rusher, but I worry about his anchor. He's either 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage blowing up the play, or he's washed 7 yards downfield and turned away from the action. Disappointing inconsistency in the games I've watched.

The big knock on Vea, if he declares, will be a very small sample size.

He's only had one year of production, and even then, he has only player 1/3 of the team snaps.

I could see it possible that he goes before us, but it's not a definite for me either. I can't think of too many first rounders at any position that had so little experience.

It's just one more layer to his story that makes him the most intriguing player in the draft.

Can not wait for Alabama and Florida. As many as 10 first rounders on the two defenses combined.

I still have dt as the pats first round pick. To that end I love via of Washington, but he could be gone by #32. Same lotulului of Utah. That leaves Adams of auburn who is a good player when motivated or vanderhoos of ucla. Maybe we win the lottery and McDowell falls to us.

Right now I think Adams and Brantley are pretty good fits.

Bamaz defense is too good. 18 red zone appearances for opponents all year I think?

Kansas State is playing right now. Jordan Willis looks much improved since I last saw him. He's actually setting the edge very well, and several times his rushes have forced the QB out of the pocket. Looks like an impact DE, and if he can play like this consistently, then he's my #1 choice for replacing Chandler Jones.

Kansas State is playing right now. Jordan Willis looks much improved since I last saw him. He's actually setting the edge very well, and several times his rushes have forced the QB out of the pocket. Looks like an impact DE, and if he can play like this consistently, then he's my #1 choice for replacing Chandler Jones.

I like him too. Honestly have been watching him since last year and just couldn't get a solid read. Still kinda 70% for, 30% unsure without really digging in and seeing his latest cuts.

He has the size. The length. And has the flashes. Its the consistency you want more of.

U watching the Bama game or scrimmage lol?

I love Florida’s defense a lot it'll be interesting to see if they can put something with the injuries they've had recently.

I really interested in where all the defensive talent is going this year and how it shapes and builds some teams.

Jacksonville has a real shot at Garrett bc someone will over draft a QB.

Garrett, Fowler, Ramsey, Jack, Jackson, Smith, Ngakoue would be an "OK" group to work with?

Ive had the same thoughts about 1st rounders for a few different teams. Unbelievable defensive draft.

And if everyone that can declare, indeed does, theres a really good shot it happens. Could have close to 14-15 overall guys between the two defenses.

I'm watching the game on the CBS Sports online stream. Surprised how quickly Florida drove down the field. We'll see how it all turns out; I think Bama will eventually run away with the game, but Florida looks REALLY fired up.

As for Willis: Yes, it's his inconsistency that really bothers me. His testing numbers and interviews will be important, I guess. He's still young, though, so he has plenty of room for improvement. I was such a better athlete and mover at 25 compared to when I was 21 (and I was in great shape). The body is still developing, and technique and proper training can go a long way.

Both of the Florida corners declared for the draft, so that almost ensures that we'll have a good CB prospect to look at when we pick. Of course, Bama has playmakers, too. Nice return on that pick.

Watched a few U Washington games this year and they had a great running game, and they always seem to be running between the L guard/tackle. One's a sophomore (Trey Adams) but the other, Jake Eldrenkamp 6'5" 297 lbs might be worth a late round pick. 4 year starter and All Pac 12 player and All Pac12 scholar so he's bright as well....

Welp. Not much of a game anymore . . .

And we have a game?

Watched a few U Washington games this year and they had a great running game, and they always seem to be running between the L guard/tackle. One's a sophomore (Trey Adams) but the other, Jake Eldrenkamp 6'5" 297 lbs might be worth a late round pick. 4 year starter and All Pac 12 player and All Pac12 scholar so he's bright as well....

Notced him yesterday and throughout the year. Haven't watched any tape on him. Waiting for DB to get more videos up.

I was one of many begging for all 22 for the nfl forever, college has to do the same at some point.

Also with all the cameras on and around the field we should be able to select different types of pov to watch the game at this point.

I'd pay $ for both.

@BaconGrundleCandy Did you see the noonkick site that I linked earlier? It's not all 22, but there are a lot of full broadcast videos available. Really nice resource.

Yup. They're essentially the TV copy, so not as useful as draftbreakdown, but they have quite a few games from this year.

Wow Evans what a play. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Him and Anzalone are 2 really good players that kind of take the back seat bc of Davis and Foster.

Robinson and peacebaker have destroyed the Florida defensive line.

Bama blowing out Florida.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back