PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 COMBINED: Pats Roster Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
5th round pick is nice with having sent a pair of picks out Rowe and Mingo.

So we still have an open space yes? From once being rich in TE talent we are now thin, but Develin fits in there.

Hesitation on calling up Sankey is he is more exposed going through waivers than staying on ps. Rather he stays there until we need him.

Don't see Jackson or Lewis being activated this week, they are no Mankins.

The pick for Rowe doesn't happen until 2018 since playing time in 2017 affects the pick
The pick for Mingo is the only one it we traded.

With the Signing of Gary and Johnson to the PS, the Pats will have to make a cut.

It will be interesting to see who get's signed to the 53 man roster. They are still short a DT unless one of Hamilton or Valentine is healthy.

Right on Rowe, but it is still a pick we are down even if it is the following year.

One or both of the DL must be ready or we are signing someone off the street.

We are still at 52 right? Lost 2 gained 1. Guessing either a trade is in the works (unlikely because despite the Patriots, the NFL is a league that does not like to trade) or a PS signing for this Sunday since no one else has been announced.

Intriguing situation at the moment about the free roster spot:

The only logical explanation would be that another trade/FA signing is coming. Many expected it to be Reece but like the first time everything quieted down. He has a farewell event tomorrow in Cal. so maybe it can still happen - but since he/or anybody else that they might sign is not practicing this week (or playing on Sunday) cutting Johnson would seem premature. Or maybe they didn't count on trading away Derby this week but that also seems unlikely. Or maybe they cut Johnson early in a week of trade deadline since other's are hoping for better DT opportunities in trade.

The second option would be signing somebody from PS .. but it would be even stranger if they did cut A Johnson for that - exposing him to waivers - because despite impressive PS roster its hard to see anybody there knocking the 46 active roster. Valentine should be ready for Sunday, maybe also Hamilton (both looked lively in today's first part of practice) so the only position of need and maybe the only chance to make 46 is backup TE. The problem is there is no TE on PS. The closest would be FB baby Gronk. But would they really give an active roster spot to a recently acquired rookie out of position? (I guess Develin would be better option short term). There could be an outside chance to bring in Reilly for ST but it would be surprising since they already brought Grissom exclusively for ST.

After the release of Johnson and Derby and the return of one or both Valentine and Hamilton there will be some tough decisions for inactives as it is. We have only 4 from the last inactive list left: Waddle, Foster, Cyrus and Richards. And even some of them might be active. Waddle and Foster are the only inactives remaining from first Bills game. Coleman is another candidate although he did ok in Pitt. Van Noy will probably not be ready. Bolden was sloppy on O and ST so maybe he might sit out although not very likely. Its also not very likely they would go with just 2 RB. After that there are only regulars left. Id be surprised to see baby Gronk f.e. over guys like McClellin, Mitchell even Grissom who is core STer at the moment until somebody new from the regular roster breaks in (Van Noy f.e.)

So maybe they will keep a roster spot open in the case the possible trade happens after Sunday.
The NFL trade deadline is 4 p.m. on Nov. 1
_

@Trade: there were some discussions here about big trades for LT or even WR. Probably the most logical trade ironically would be for TE. More likely it might be a surprise. In that sense it was interesting to see the trade our Miguel is proposing:

Or maybe its finally gonna be Reece!

Last edited:
They've been down a man on the 53 since Monday. I don't recall that happening before, but maybe I forget. It's definitely unusual. They must be close to something bigger than a PS promotion or a no name FA.

Alshon?
Trying to think if their is any receiver who is struggling in a new system or coming off injury that could be a surprise addition.

What about Golden Tate?
Kenny Britt?
Deandre Hopkins?
Tavon Austin?
Trying to think who else.

I'm guessing ps and Bill just does not want to clue Buffalo in.

I think the needs are:

1) Tackle
2) third TE
3) RB
4) DT

Alshon?
Trying to think if their is any receiver who is struggling in a new system or coming off injury that could be a surprise addition.

What about Golden Tate?
Kenny Britt?
Deandre Hopkins?
Tavon Austin?

Good list, although these guys all seem too high priced for us. I actually think Kenny Britt may do well here and is not a superstar where he would cost much in terms of trade, but I have a feeling he has a big contract.

Alshon?

What about Golden Tate?
Kenny Britt?
Deandre Hopkins?
Tavon Austin?

The Lions, Texans and Rams are all playoff contenders. It wound be a surprise to bring in another vet receiver when they have good ones already on the team that aren't getting many reps. Also if they're struggling in a new system, why would they fit in with a team that runs a more complex offense?

I'd recommend seeing if there is a Wide Receivers Anonymous meeting in your area that you could attend. *sobs* "Before I knew it my 53 man roster had 21 wide receivers...we couldn't block or tackle anyone but I couldn't help myself!"

Alshon?

What about Golden Tate?
Kenny Britt?
Deandre Hopkins?
Tavon Austin?
If one of the Rams' WRs is available, it's almost definitely Brian Quick.

The Pats need Dion Lewis to come off the PUP list and get his timing down for the playoffs. I would love to see him take three or four snaps this week and then use the bye weeks to get into game shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST