PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On what he's done.

I think Wendell might be able to play LG. He's been OK at C and RG. I wonder if BB is waiting
until after Week 1 to sign Connolly. I believe his contract isn't guaranteed for the rest of the
year then.

I'm not concerned with Fleming at RG, where I feel that he can succeed. My concern is LG.

LG is more of a pass-blocking position than is RG, and Mason has had very, very little experience/success
at pass-blocking.

My concerns with the 2015 Pats, besides the obvious Brady suspension:
CB - we currently have the Worst collection of CBs in football;
LG - we currently have only one player - Solder - athletically capable of playing ANY Left-of-Center position;
Vereen replacement - both Cadet & Lil' Jimmy White suck.

Yes, the battle for LG will certainly be an interesting one. After all, Solder's play goes hand in hand with the LG position, as any LT will.

I'm not sure that I feel quite as concerned as you do, but there's no doubting that it is a position that is currently up in the air at the present moment.

I'm not concerned with Fleming at RG, where I feel that he can succeed. My concern is LG.

LG is more of a pass-blocking position than is RG, and Mason has had very, very little experience/success
at pass-blocking.

My concerns with the 2015 Pats, besides the obvious Brady suspension:
CB - we currently have the Worst collection of CBs in football;
LG - we currently have only one player - Solder - athletically capable of playing ANY Left-of-Center position;
Vereen replacement - both Cadet & Lil' Jimmy White suck.
If cadet sucks so bad, could you give a summary of why? Since you are so familiar with his game I assume you have watched hours of film on him

Yes, the battle for LG will certainly be an interesting one. After all, Solder's play goes hand in hand with the LG position, as any LT will.

I'm not sure that I feel quite as concerned as you do, but there's no doubting that it is a position that is currently up in the air at the present moment.

LG
Wendell was a starter last year, and is a fine pass blocker. He should do fine between Solder and Stork. As I've said, Kline may be #1 in Belichick's mind. In either case, there are two options. The wildcard is always a signee as an upgrade to Kline. This is certainly a viable plan.

RG
This would mean Jackson, Fleming and Cannon are available to compete for the RG spot. That seems fine.

3.2 yards/carry last season (10 attempts for 32 yards), 3.4 ypc in his career (11/37).
And from his 48 touches last season (38 catches/10 rushes), he had 2 fumbles, both of which were lost.
The only way this JAG should even come close to making this team is as a KickOff Returner.

Bill should've signed Roy Helu.

3.2 yards/carry last season (10 attempts for 32 yards), 3.4 ypc in his career (11/37).
And from his 48 touches last season (38 catches/10 rushes), he had 2 fumbles, both of which were lost.
The only way this JAG should even come close to making this team is as a KickOff Returner.

Bill should've signed Roy Helu.

yeah, he actually has pretty good return stats, if I remember right, so I think having him on the roster is a plus.

you're actually roasting the guy based on his ypa on 10 carries?

QB aside, this is the strongest, deepest, most talented Patriots team as a whole since 2005, IMHO. Everyone wants to denigrate the DL, but they registered 40+ sacks last year, doing so without Easley, Brown or Sheard. Now add them, 2 #1s and a #2 along with a rookie #3 and the depth and quickness seems pretty good to me. The Pats got to the SB in 2011 with a secondary more full of holes than the present collection, and without a Pass Rush either, able to garner more than low 30s sack totals.

The O line is finally shaping up to be a truly competent pass and run line, with athletes, size and depth for the first time in BBs tenure here. The front liners of Solder, Stork, Seabass, Fleming and Tre Johnson is big and talented, ably backed up by Wendell and Cannon looks to be able to force the Run and protect for the Pass.

Secondary aside, I find it hard to identify openings on any squad. Even there it is not terrible. The era of UDFA or waiver wire pickups seems to be over even there. All the remaining DBs are young, early draft picks, or semi-proven youngsters like Butler. Revis may have elected to go, but don't forget BB himself pruned Browner, Fonzie and Arrington, himself, freely electing to do so even though their CAP numbers were proven acceptable. I've never seen BB shoot himself in the foot.

The only question is Brady and Goodell. The ex-Jet NFL may have proven to be the only way to beat the Patriots. Legislate their losses.

QB aside, this is the strongest, deepest, most talented Patriots team as a whole since 2005, IMHO. Everyone wants to denigrate the DL, but they registered 40+ sacks last year, doing so without Easley, Brown or Sheard. Now add them, 2 #1s and a #2 along with a rookie #3 and the depth and quickness seems pretty good to me. The Pats got to the SB in 2011 with a secondary more full of holes than the present collection, and without a Pass Rush either, able to garner more than low 30s sack totals.

I think a lot of the sacks last year were coverage sacks..will be interesting to see what they get this year

I've always thought that the Net points (Points For - Points Against) was a good judge of the relative strength of a team.

In the 14 years we finished in the top ten of net points 12 out of 14 years and 8 of those years we were in the top 5. In those 14 years we made the playoffs 12 times, conference title game 9 times and SB 6 times.

So we have an 86% chance of making the playoffs, 64% chance of making the conference game and 43% chance of making the SB.

Our competition in 2015 based on net points from 2014 is Denver, Baltimore and Colts. The Colts are still vulnerable against the run. After the beating by the Colts in the playoffs, Denver is having Peyton more under center and looking to have more of a run game. Baltimore is our greatest competition still.

Buffalo had the 2nd best defence in our conference in 2014 and will be tough in our division. It will be important to at least split our games against them. Same with Miami. Jets don't have any offence but their defence has improved. They have too far to go on offence to be a real challenge yet. The 2nd game is against Buffalo and will be huge especially if we lose against Pittsburg in the opener. Having Garoppolo go against the 2nd best defence in the conference now led by Rex Ryan might be a tough matchup for the youngster. Hopefully Brady's suspension will be overturned.

yeah, he actually has pretty good return stats, if I remember right, so I think having him on the roster is a plus.

you're actually roasting the guy based on his ypa on 10 carries?

Cadet's been in the league for 3 years, and he's only had 11 rushing attempts. Exactly what do you suggest Captain Stone base his opinion of Cadet's running on, if it's not his runs from last season? Do you have some shots of Cadet jogging on the beach that would be more applicable?

Like every team, every year, this team has questions. OL and CB seem to be the only place where those questions really impact starting slots, though, so that should help the team's focus moving forward, both on the field and with the front office.

Anyone who can take a running step backwards will be looked at for CB, and there's still time to bring in another OG.

image.jpg

I can't believe the Colts got that guy.

I've always thought that the Net points (Points For - Points Against) was a good judge of the relative strength of a team.

Agreed.

This stat is certainly an important way to evaluate individual games.

In the 14 years we finished in the top ten of net points 12 out of 14 years and 8 of those years we were in the top 5. In those 14 years we made the playoffs 12 times, conference title game 9 times and SB 6 times.

So we have an 86% chance of making the playoffs, 64% chance of making the conference game and 43% chance of making the SB.

Our competition in 2015 based on net points from 2014 is Denver, Baltimore and Colts. The Colts are still vulnerable against the run. After the beating by the Colts in the playoffs, Denver is having Peyton more under center and looking to have more of a run game. Baltimore is our greatest competition still.

Buffalo had the 2nd best defence in our conference in 2014 and will be tough in our division. It will be important to at least split our games against them. Same with Miami. Jets don't have any offence but their defence has improved. They have too far to go on offence to be a real challenge yet. The 2nd game is against Buffalo and will be huge especially if we lose against Pittsburg in the opener. Having Garoppolo go against the 2nd best defence in the conference now led by Rex Ryan might be a tough matchup for the youngster. Hopefully Brady's suspension will be overturned.
I thought BUF overachieved last year. Great pass rush. Good run D. Very mediocre secondary. Rex is a good defensive coach bit historically has allowed over 30ppg vs the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft