PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Rumors

I don't see us trading up to a spot before Seattle for Gurley in the first round because there is no value in that. However, in the second to get Hardison I could see a trade up.

Or, what I would prefer, trade out from the first for a second+.

I don't know if I would do it or not but why is there no value in it? We have the extra pick in the third so it's effectively a free trade up and Gurley is someone who takes our offense to another level. There's plenty of value in a small trade up. It also keeps him away from Seattle. There's some value to that too.

1. Malcom brown dt
2. Clive walford te
3. Jake Fisher ot
3b. Tre flowers de
4a. Stephon Diggs wr
4b. Shaq mason g
6. Buck Allen rb

The Browns trading up for Mariota will be interesting:

Mary Kay Cabot is a respected Browns beat writer:

Hey Mary Kay: Do you really think the Browns will try to trade up for Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota?

-- Ryan Berlan, North Olmsted, Ohio

Hey Ryan: I do think the Browns will explore the possibility of landing the former Heisman Trophy winner. I've been told that Browns GM Ray Farmer was high on Mariota last year, and the Browns continued to scout him this year during his Heisman campaign. It depends on how the top teams in the draft view Mariota and whether or not Tampa Bay intends to take him No. 1 overall. Plenty of experts now have Florida State's Jamies Winston ranked ahead of Mariota, which means Mariota might be easier to land. The Browns have the No. 12 and No. 19 picks in the first round, and it will most likely take those two picks, and possibly next year's No. 1 to land one of the top two prospects. Considering their situation with Johnny Manziel, I don't think they can afford to take a chance on another character risk like Winston.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind..._r.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If they do use both their firsts and next years first on Mariota, they would have spent five first rounders in five years on a QB (and another on Trent Richardson).

I wonder if the Rams are interested in Mariota. Sure seems like they are interested in moving back to LA. He's a star on the West Coast. They need a qb.

I don't know if I would do it or not but why is there no value in it? We have the extra pick in the third so it's effectively a free trade up and Gurley is someone who takes our offense to another level. There's plenty of value in a small trade up. It also keeps him away from Seattle. There's some value to that too.

Rumors this early are seldom true, and there's a ton of disinformation in the draft. If Marshawn Lynch is dragging his heels and trying to milk things with the Seahawks, a rumor that they were ready to move on to Gurley might give him a bit of a nudge. So I take it with a grain of salt. But Gurley to Seattle does make a ton of sense if Lynch retires, and possibly even if he doesn't.

Unfortunately there will be a lot of good players who will go to other teams, including teams that we can't stand or that are likely to be our main rivals. I'm not going to get too invested in any single prospect in this draft, even though I have some clear favorites, on all 3 days. As long as the Pats get a good group I'll be content. There's good depth in this draft, and there will be some undervalued gems who sneak through to the late 3rd round and after.

Rumors this early are seldom true, and there's a ton of disinformation in the draft. If Marshawn Lynch is dragging his heels and trying to milk things with the Seahawks, a rumor that they were ready to move on to Gurley might give him a bit of a nudge. So I take it with a grain of salt. But Gurley to Seattle does make a ton of sense if Lynch retires, and possibly even if he doesn't.

Unfortunately there will be a lot of good players who will go to other teams, including teams that we can't stand or that are likely to be our main rivals. I'm not going to get too invested in any single prospect in this draft, even though I have some clear favorites, on all 3 days. As long as the Pats get a good group I'll be content. There's good depth in this draft, and there will be some undervalued gems who sneak through to the late 3rd round and after.
I don't know if they go RB even if Lynch does retire. Seattle is a team that trusts their system of player development and I've heard they really like Christine Michael and Robert Turbin. Receiver is the obvious choice for them but TE, DT, and Defensive end are all options as well as corner. I think Lynch returns anyway for what its worth.

Generally, I feel like there would be no value because it is very expensive to move around in the first round and I am not sure I want to pay a premium on top of the first round pick for Gurley.

That being said I have to acknowledge that it all depends on how the draft will fall anyway. Lets see what the relative movements are after the combine.

Seems to me that Gurley is going to be one of those prospects that starts the early draft process slightly underrated (late first- early second) and slowly works himself to properly rated (mid first) by the end of the draft process.

Seems to me that Gurley is going to be one of those prospects that starts the early draft process slightly underrated (late first- early second) and slowly works himself to properly rated (mid first) by the end of the draft process.

I suspect you're right. Teams will test him medically; if he doesn't pass their tests they'll take him off their boards and if he does pass their tests, there's not really a reason not to take him.

I suspect you're right. Teams will test him medically; if he doesn't pass their tests they'll take him off their boards and if he does pass their tests, there's not really a reason not to take him.

The main reason I can see teams passing on Gurley, assuming he checks out medically, is length to return. Are teams willing to put a 1st round pick on PUP or IR if necessary, instead of taking someone who can step in from the start? The Pats already did that with Dominique Easley, and they can afford to do it again, but most FOs are under a lot of pressure to produce.

The main reason I can see teams passing on Gurley, assuming he checks out medically, is length to return. Are teams willing to put a 1st round pick on PUP or IR if necessary, instead of taking someone who can step in from the start? The Pats already did that with Dominique Easley, and they can afford to do it again, but most FOs are under a lot of pressure to produce.

I think Gurley is the type of prospect that'll earn patience from ownership and fans. Unless you are picking in the top 10, first rounders don't normally transform a teams fortunes in their rookie year. Any sensibly run team will know that you draft a prospect for the life of his rookie contract. On the other hand, there are some interesting FA RBs so teams like Dallas, Arizona and Baltimore might have resolved their RB situations pre-draft.

I think Gurley is the type of prospect that'll earn patience from ownership and fans. Unless you are picking in the top 10, first rounders don't normally transform a teams fortunes in their rookie year. Any sensibly run team will know that you draft a prospect for the life of his rookie contract. On the other hand, there are some interesting FA RBs so teams like Dallas, Arizona and Baltimore might have resolved their RB situations pre-draft.

No doubt. But I think the other factor is the depth and strength of the RB class. Will teams really want to use a 1st on a RB who may not contribute for most of their 1st year when there are a ton of talented backs who could be available later on? I have no idea how things will sort out. I am fairly certain that Gurley will be a stud for whoever is patient enough to wait for him.

No doubt. But I think the other factor is the depth and strength of the RB class. Will teams really want to use a 1st on a RB who may not contribute for most of their 1st year when there are a ton of talented backs who could be available later on? I have no idea how things will sort out. I am fairly certain that Gurley will be a stud for whoever is patient enough to wait for him.

There are some very good backs but they're not Gurley. It's like Gronk versus Jermaine Gresham.

It's like Gronk versus Jermaine Gresham.

Who was ironically taken 21 spots earlier than Gronk in 2010, in large part because of injury concerns.

Who was ironically taken 21 spots earlier than Gronk in 2010, in large part because of injury concerns.

And yet people still think BB can't draft.

saw Mike Loyko point out that not a single person on our active roster was taken in the top 10 of any draft. Revis was the highest taken at 14.

And yet people still think BB can't draft.

saw Mike Loyko point out that not a single person on our active roster was taken in the top 10 of any draft. Revis was the highest taken at 14.
Wasn't Mayo drafted at 10 exactly? I guess he is technically not active.

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362711-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-scouting-notebook

— After seeing Dorial Green-Beckham in person before the Super Bowl, I started asking NFL scouts what they've heard about his year at Oklahoma. As one Southwest scout assigned to Oklahoma told me, "He's completely turned his life around. Big brother moved in, whipped his ass and took control. He's on the straight-and-narrow since leaving Mizzou."

So far I've had absolutely no interest in Green-Beckham and his off-field history. But if this is true, and I expect the Pats to triple and quadruple check this, I'm drooling over the idea of him in a Pats uniform. Even though we need OL or DL the most in the 1st. I wouldn't pass up the chance to draft a 2nd version of Randy Moss/Megatron. Even if it required a reasonable trade up.

From: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362711-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-scouting-notebook

So far I've had absolutely no interest in Green-Beckham and his off-field history. But if this is true, and I expect the Pats to triple and quadruple check this, I'm drooling over the idea of him in a Pats uniform. Even though we need OL or DL the most in the 1st. I wouldn't pass up the chance to draft a 2nd version of Randy Moss/Megatron. Even if it required a reasonable trade up.
Good for him, and us, just put a big smile on my face, hopefully NE grabs him but I can't wait to see him perform in the NFL, based purely on skill my top 3 WRs are Amari, DGB, and Kevin White

Mayock had a great line about DGB

He has absolutely no idea what he's doing, but he is such an incredible specimen.

I think that is very accurate, and the big reason I don't see the fit.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back