PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Rumors

Saw NE met with Maxx Williams, Tre Jackson, Jamil Douglas, Nick O'Leary, Jamon Brown, Laken Tomlinson, Takoby Cofield, and a kicker or two, lotta interest in high ranked TEs, O-linmen, and kickers so far on Day 1 (this means borderline ****)

I like maxx Williams or o'leary as h back types.

I like maxx Williams or o'leary as h back types.
Maxx Williams reminds me of a slightly smaller, more athletic Gronk, O'leary is atypical big bodied TE with good hands, decent athleticism, nothing flashy

Don't pass on Umass TE Jean Sifrin. I have read that he may run in 4.5s. If so, at 6'5" 245 with size 11 hands, he will shoot up the rather weak TE board. Negatives ... he has only 1 year at D1 and will be 27.

Don't pass on Umass TE Jean Sifrin. I have read that he may run in 4.5s. If so, at 6'5" 245 with size 11 hands, he will shoot up the rather weak TE board. Negatives ... he has only 1 year at D1 and will be 27.

Bleh.

I saw the size 11 hands, that is enormous. Granted he hasn't played against any competition, but he might be worth a pick in the later rounds.

One less position on which to worry about spending a pick.
Take Bell with a late-rounder. Boom or bust type prospect. Not a gamble in 6th or 7th

Take Bell with a late-rounder. Boom or bust type prospect. Not a gamble in 6th or 7th

I'm ok with a 6th or 7th on Bell or Jesse James if they are available. I wouldn't consider the position before then. Sifron seems like UDFA material.

I' would personally ignore the position between now and the draft, and plan around other needs, then see where things stand. I think it would be a huge mistake to reach just to fill the position.

I'm ok with a 6th or 7th on Bell or Jesse James if they are available. I wouldn't consider the position before then. Sifron seems like UDFA material.

I' would personally ignore the position between now and the draft, and plan around other needs, then see where things stand. I think it would be a huge mistake to reach just to fill the position.
I'd like a G, DT and a DE. After that, maybe RB, WR and double dip on guard. We have 5 picks in first 102 or so. Can add another with a trade back from 32 if our guys are gone.

I'd like a G, DT and a DE. After that, maybe RB, WR and double dip on guard. We have 5 picks in first 102 or so. Can add another with a trade back from 32 if our guys are gone.

This was my last pre-Combine mock:
Last bump before the Combine. Assume the Pats are able to keep key FAs, at least for now.

1(32) - Todd Gurley - RB - Georgia. 6' 0 3/4" 225#. For a second straight year the Pats get a top 10 talent because of an ACL injury. I don't generally believe in taking a RB in the 1st, but Gurley could easily be the BVA if he is on the board at 32.

2(64) - AJ Cann - OG - South Carolina. 6' 3 1/4" 311#. A plug and play started at LG. I don't think he's a 1st round talent, but I'd love him in the 2nd, even if we have to trade up.

3(96) - Marcus Hardison - DT/DE - Arizona St. 6' 3 1/8" 311#. The most versatile big man in this draft. Can play anywhere from the 7 to the 0/1. That versatility will allow BB to make Easley and Hardison the DL equivalent of Collins and Hightower.

3(97 - comp) - Max Valles - EDGE - Virginia. 6'5" 240#. Collinesque movement skills.

4(100 - from TB) - Ali Marpet - OL - Hobart. 6' 3 3/4" 307#. Dane Brugler calls him a "bargain basement Zack Martin". Has 5 position potential versatility, but projects best to guard. It would be poetic justice to get a stud OL with the TB pick from the Mankins trade.

4. Best available value. Guys I like include WR Tre McBride, TE Jeff Heurman, DB Josh Shaw, DB Ladarius Gunter, DL Ellis McCarthy, and LB Kwon Alexander. This pick could also be used to trade up for AJ Cann in the second round.

6 (from TB). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech. 6'3" 222#.

6 (comp). Nick Marshall - CB - Auburn. 6' 1 1/2" 205#.

7 (from Tenn). Best available value. Guys I like include TE Blake Bell, TE Jesse James, and DT Terry Williams.

I don't see much reason to change it so far, except that Marpet won't last until 100. But give me Gurley at 32 (hopefully his delayed medical will keep teams from pulling the trigger) and then Hardison plus a good OL prospect (Marpet, Cann or Tomlinson), with some trading around. Then an EDGE guy like Valles (Obum Gwacham is intriguing, and I want to see how he does this week; he's a high character kid with a good work ethic) and someone like Ellis McCarthy to double up on DL, and another guard. Then look at high upside guys like Smelter, Marshall and Bell/James with the late round picks.

Some people here are really caught up with these 40 times. I still think maxx williams is a player. The guy that impressed me was mycole pruitt. 6'2 251 ran under 4.6 and had a vertical leap of 38 inches.

Some people here are really caught up with these 40 times. I still think maxx williams is a player.

I still think Maxx Williams is a player, too. His 40 doesn't affect my evaluation of him at all. Solid prospect, but I think he'll go higher than I would take him.

I'd be happy to consider MyCole Pruitt in the late rounds. That's where I had him on my first board.

I wouldnt mind an offensive linemen in the first round even though its not a sexy pick. Erving would be nice. This draft is deep at defensive tackle.

This was my last pre-Combine mock:

I don't see much reason to change it so far, except that Marpet won't last until 100. But give me Gurley at 32 (hopefully his delayed medical will keep teams from pulling the trigger) and then Hardison plus a good OL prospect (Marpet, Cann or Tomlinson), with some trading around. Then an EDGE guy like Valles (Obum Gwacham is intriguing, and I want to see how he does this week; he's a high character kid with a good work ethic) and someone like Ellis McCarthy to double up on DL, and another guard. Then look at high upside guys like Smelter, Marshall and Bell/James with the late round picks.

I just see Gurley gone long before 32. Maybe, a non-playoff team like SD. I also think it's quite optimistic Cann drops to 64. He's graded out as he best interior prospect by most sites. We could prob get Cann at 32. I think you're looking at ol like; Tomlinson, Donovan Smith or Poutasi at 64. I like all three.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back