PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Rumors

I really like Mayo's recent mock. The only pipe dream I have is having Shaq Thompson there at 32. It appears the Patriots interviewed him today. Mayo's mock emphasized versatility, which I think is what Shaq Thompson brings to the table. I see him as another swiss army knife on D. He could be the DB/LB version of Collins. He just bring to much to the table. Id much rather have him at 32 then gGurley.

I don't think he needs to learn the O really. He doesn't need to to run the Scout team as QB and he can learn a limited playbook if there was a sudden necessity to use him as a 3rd string QB. Don't forget, we don't carry a 3rd string QB so if ever we needed one, whoever is brought in would need to learn the playbook from scratch anyway. When Jimmy G played against Buffalo, it was clear there were remnants of the Tebow playbook remaining. Marshall could just learn that.

The more important thing for Marshall is whether he runs sub 4.6 or not (preferably sub 4.50). If he's over 4.5 I'm not that excited. Over 4.6 and I wouldn't draft him.

So it looks like marshall ran a 4.54 today at the combine.

However, I use to run track and can tell you, his poor sprinting form had a little to do with that. He had a really unnatural and quick release, getting too high to quickly. He might have been in the sub 4.5, probably the 4.45 range if he had worked with a sprinting coach that fixed that up. Needless to say, I think he did just fine today.

40 video : http://sports.yahoo.com/video/auburn-quarterback-defensive-back-nick-165200988.html

Last edited:
I've though of marshall as a 3rd qb db conversion. Plus he'd be great on wr screens throw a lateral to him and let him hit a downfield receiver. Or let him run he's pretty strong as a runner for a qb.

Or whomever drafts Winston or DGB. Talent supersedes morality in the NFL.

I should add that the Pats aren't exempt, after all, Talib, Browner and Blount aren't exactly role models.

One of the current rumours is that the Chargers are interested in Mariota. Phillip Rivers trained with him, the Chargers worked him out and there's been talk about the Chargers not extending Rivers' contract when it's finished this season. So:

Chargers trade up for Mariota who sits behind Rivers for a year. Rivers retires and Mariota becomes the face of the Los Angeles Chargers franchise. Would be an interesting twist.

patriots get a small ransom for 32 including Jason Mccourty when the Titans fall in love with a QB.
Hey it could happen.
PATS WOOOORLD!

I hate to break it to you but the Titans pick at 33. Moving up one slot would be a very small ransom indeed :)

I personally don't want Jason McCourty. I don't want to spend the draft capital it would take to get him and the cap space to pay for him, given that he's a zone CB, and I don't see that as the long term best direction. I'd rather pick up some low cost FAs - like Bradley Fletcher and Bobby McClain - to round out what we have.

I personally don't want Jason McCourty. I don't want to spend the draft capital it would take to get him and the cap space to pay for him, given that he's a zone CB, and I don't see that as the long term best direction.

This is where we disagree. I'd love him. The most important thing for this secondary is smarts and if he's anything like his brother, he's got that. And I do want a secondary of Jason McCourty, Logan Ryan, Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon. That's worth a second round pick surely!

By the by, really wished we'd signed Delvin Breaux now.

This is where we disagree. I'd love him. The most important thing for this secondary is smarts and if he's anything like his brother, he's got that. And I do want a secondary of Jason McCourty, Logan Ryan, Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon. That's worth a second round pick surely!

I love it when we disagree, because we agree on so much. Those disagreements are great opportunities for learning. I don't see it at all, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time I'd been spectacularly wrong. I doubt we'll get the chance to put the idea to the test, though.
By the by, really wished we'd signed Delvin Breaux now.

I agree with this. Breaux might agree, too, now that Brandon Browner has been signed.

Last edited:
I love it when we disagree, because we agree on so much. Those disagreements are great opportunities for learning. I don't see it at all, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time I'd been spectacularly wrong. I doubt we'll get the chance to put the idea to the test, though.

I agree with this. Beaux might agree, too, now that Brandon Browner has been signed.

To be fair, my interest in Jason is less about scouting (who'd choose to watch the Titans) and more to do with character fit and opportunity. I wouldn't give up a 2nd for him but I would go with our 3rd. His contract is an issue though.

And I do want a secondary of Jason McCourty, Logan Ryan, Devin McCourty, Duron Harmon. That's worth a second round pick surely!
To be fair, my interest in Jason is less about scouting (who'd choose to watch the Titans) and more to do with character fit and opportunity. I wouldn't give up a 2nd for him but I would go with our 3rd. His contract is an issue though.

Methinks I spot a slippery slope.

I have nothing against Jason McC, and agree the intangibles are great. I just wouldn't make the move given the combination of trade cost, cap hit, and long term schematic fit.

Last edited:

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back