PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Off-Season Additions for the Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it elsewhere, and I'll repeat it here:

If the Patriots draft a TE in the first round, the GM should be fired before the team makes its next pick. There is too much need elsewhere (DT/OL/S) to be taking either TE or WR in round 1, given the depth of those positions this year.

You obviously disagree, and I'm sure most other posters here will as well, but I look at it in much the same way that I looked at last year, where taking the LB while the need was S was really, really stupid. This would be absolutely 3 terrible decisions in 3 years (Tavon Wilson, anyone?), and it would be time to change GMs.

-The Safety talent at #29 will be terrible. (Clinton-Dix and Pryor will be gone)

-OL Talent at 29, hmmm...well we are three deep at tackle so cross that off. Guard wise, Yankey will most likely be gone, so a guard at #29 would be bad value as well. This only leaves Swanson as a good value pick at 29.

-DL Talent at 29: Nix/Hageman will be gone. Tuitt will most likely be gone. That leaves Aaron Donald, a more talented version of Chris Jones. (Barely 6'1, 288 lbs)

TE has by far the best value at 29, as Amaro/ASJ are top tier TE talents. So no, the GM should not be fired after the first pick.

IMO, it just makes more sense to take OL/DL in round 2 for us.

Instead of Wilson, the next 3 LBs available and taken were Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Davis.

I really liked Zach Brown coming out of North Carolina and when he was available at that pick, I figured he was the selection. Then they pretty much drafted his clone in Jamie Collins the following year.

Not that anyone saw Tavon Wilson coming.

I really liked Zach Brown coming out of North Carolina and when he was available at that pick, I figured he was the selection. Then they pretty much drafted his clone in Jamie Collins the following year.

Not that anyone saw Tavon Wilson coming.

That's really all I'm saying. Once BB realized that Chung was another miss at safety, he panicked and made a really stupid call. Then he made a second mistake by not fixing his first one. Had he just stayed chalk in 2012 and 2013, this would be a top 5 defense, right now.

People act as if I'm going out of my way to bash the guy, but these were obvious moves that should have been made.

Note to Mods:

Shouldn't this thread be merged with "Time to Get Brady Weapons"?

That's really all I'm saying. Once BB realized that Chung was another miss at safety, he panicked and made a really stupid call. Then he made a second mistake by not fixing his first one. Had he just stayed chalk in 2012 and 2013, this would be a top 5 defense, right now.

People act as if I'm going out of my way to bash the guy, but these were obvious moves that should have been made.

Based on this statement, I'm definitely looking forward to your mock draft. :rolleyes:

Seems to me that you and the others are in basic agreement, as am I, that the positions that need the biggest immediate impact are DL (both tackle and end), OL (center and guard), and TE. The need at TE seems to me to be the most glaring, other than Gronk they really have noone on the roster right now that can be an impact player. My fan-level (i.e., miserably uninformed) perception is that the draft is really deep, at these spots and at WR also, maybe not so deep at CB, S, LB, and RB.

-The Safety talent at #29 will be terrible. (Clinton-Dix and Pryor will be gone)

-OL Talent at 29, hmmm...well we are three deep at tackle so cross that off. Guard wise, Yankey will most likely be gone, so a guard at #29 would be bad value as well. This only leaves Swanson as a good value pick at 29.

-DL Talent at 29: Nix/Hageman will be gone. Tuitt will most likely be gone. That leaves Aaron Donald, a more talented version of Chris Jones. (Barely 6'1, 288 lbs)

TE has by far the best value at 29, as Amaro/ASJ are top tier TE talents. So no, the GM should not be fired after the first pick.

IMO, it just makes more sense to take OL/DL in round 2 for us.
A voice of reason within this thread.

Well done.

:clap2:

According to BB himself, need is a component of value. Last year, safety was a huge need, and LB was not. This year, DT/OL is a huge need, and TE is a lesser need (A/K/A draft a TE in round 2 as I've already mentioned). As for Wilson, if they'd have played things out smarter, they could have gone with either WR or LB instead of Tavon, in year where the talent at those spots was greater than the talent at safety, and those positions would have already been better off going into last year. You've chosen to ignore those elements of the equation, for some reason. I wonder what that reason could possibly be....

Curious why you think TE is a lesser need considering it was the single biggest factor behind our under performing offense last year. To my mind TE is the biggest need on this team by a comfortable margin.

I also like tight end Jacob Pedersen from Wisconsin with a sixth round selection. The New England Patriots could potentially roll with the four tight ends next season:

Rob Gronkowski
Austin Seferian-Jenkins
Jacob Pedersen
Michael Hoomanawanui

Hooman can replace Develin as the full back on the roster since the New England Patriots only utilize a full back on five or six plays during a game.

Curious why you think TE is a lesser need considering it was the single biggest factor behind our under performing offense last year. To my mind TE is the biggest need on this team by a comfortable margin.

I don't know how you reason that, considering the starting TE is the best in the league, whilst the starting center blows goats.

I also like tight end Jacob Pedersen from Wisconsin with a sixth round selection. The New England Patriots could potentially roll with the four tight ends next season:

Rob Gronkowski
Austin Seferian-Jenkins
Jacob Pedersen
Michael Hoomanawanui

Hooman can replace Develin as the full back on the roster since the New England Patriots only utilize a full back on five or six plays during a game.

I love that 4 man TE rotation already.

I don't know how you reason that, considering the starting TE is the best in the league, whilst the starting center blows goats.

I agree that Wendell is a pretty poor starting center. But like Tippett points out, Swanson may not warrant his 1st round grade. If your going to draft a center in round 1, he better be a beast.

Also, ASJ would be a massive upgrade over Hooman/Mulligan and would still see plenty of snaps next to the Gronk. Heck, even Mulligan was seeing 30 or so snaps a game as a TE2.

Because that starting TE barely played and because Brady missed being able to throw to the bigger bodies in the middle of the field.

Rob Gronkowski
Austin Seferian-Jenkins
Jacob Pedersen
Michael Hoomanawanui

Why not sign an Andrew Quarless, Dennis Pitta, Scott Chandler, Marcedes Lewis?? None of them will break the bank. Lewis is an ASJ clone.

Outside of Eric Ebron, I just don't see a rookie tight end coming to New England's system and making an early impact.

Because that starting TE barely played and because Brady missed being able to throw to the bigger bodies in the middle of the field.

Right, but that's somewhat immaterial to what the biggest weakness on the team is.

TE is absolutely a top need, but I'd much rather sign someone like Chandler and draft trenches in the first than spend another first rounder on a TE.

I didn't read all 14 pages....but why is everyone so quick to give up on these kids @ WR ??? :noidea: They look like there's some talent there, I'd also like to get a better look at this kid Mulligan @ TE
Pay Edelman, & Talib get a a lineman on both sides and maybe a safety, although...there again, I'd like to see more of Harmon & Wilson. (Tavon)

The perfect 2nd TE is Jacob Tamme. He can't stay in Denver if he doesn't get to play more snaps.

The perfect 2nd TE is Jacob Tamme. He can't stay in Denver if he doesn't get to play more snaps.

They have him on contract for another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes