PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

McGill is soft, i dont like him.

Bradley Roby's stock will almost certainly improve after the combine but right now he's a classic buy low candidate for BB. He's a scheme fit, has good size and top notch athleticism and, lest we forget, was pretty much the consensus #1 before this last season. I think too much was made of that Abbrederis game.

Just watched some Joel Bitonio for the first time. He strong! If rumours of his versatility are true then I like him a lot. Plug him straight in at RG if necessary.

Just watched some Joel Bitonio for the first time. He strong! If rumours of his versatility are true then I like him a lot. Plug him straight in at RG if necessary.

If we sign Alex Mack I'm all for it, if we don't we'll probably still need a Center and will probably have to look to the draft for one.

I watched a bit of Matt Patchan, BC's Left Tackle although it was only as a run blocker (Andre Williams videos). He certainly looks a lot like Solder in that he's 6'7" or so and looks long and he can move about and blocks well. He doesn't look quaite as free a mover as Solder but not a million miles off. As a late round backup OT, I think he represents really good value.

A brilliant scouting report on Travis Swanson from Off the Grid:

Category: Travis Swanson -

I think Grid has hit the nail on the head with this one.

Princeton (the pats) could use a man like Joel (Bitinio)?

Princeton could USE a man like joel.

Bitonio played some center at the Senior Bowl practices. Could you see him potentially projecting to the pivot?

Bitonio played some center at the Senior Bowl practices. Could you see him potentially projecting to the pivot?

It's possible, but straight away? That would depend on too many variables that we won't be privy too like the intelligence to be responsible for blocking assignments etc.

Deron Furr is a pretty interesting candidate for middle of the field type role. I want to see more of him, but he's coming out of Fort Valley State.

Has wheels at 6-3 215 or so. Former top recruit. Impressed at one of the minor postseason events (Medal of Honor Bowl).

It's possible, but straight away? That would depend on too many variables that we won't be privy too like the intelligence to be responsible for blocking assignments etc.

Probably not right away. But if you moved Dan Connolly to center and brought in Bitonio, in a year he potentially could take over.

Probably not right away. But if you moved Dan Connolly to center and brought in Bitonio, in a year he potentially could take over.

Very possibly but as Grid points out in his Swanson report, he'd be big for a center. By the way, It's a very good scouting report although I'm not sure I entirely agree. I have to confess that I don't see what he sees in USC's Martin though. I was very unimpressed and will have to revisit him in light of Grid's comments.

Very possibly but as Grid points out in his Swanson report, he'd be big for a center. By the way, It's a very good scouting report although I'm not sure I entirely agree. I have to confess that I don't see what he sees in USC's Martin though. I was very unimpressed and will have to revisit him in light of Grid's comments.

You probably noticed but its worth restating - Marcus Martin is super young. 11/29/1993 is his birthday. Barely 20 years old.

James Christensen @NEPatriotsDraft
I understand @NEPD_Loyko 's concerns about Ra'Shede Hageman. That said, with some NFL coaching I see him being dominant. Pad level important

I know they don't play the same position on the DL, but based on what I hear from the draftniks around here, this kid sounds like Dontari Poe, or is it just me?

Crazy athlete, not a great football player yet, but with coaching/time could be "dominant." I'm still not sure if I want a 1st round DT project.....

I know they don't play the same position on the DL, but based on what I hear from the draftniks around here, this kid sounds like Dontari Poe, or is it just me?

Crazy athlete, not a great football player yet, but with coaching/time could be "dominant." I'm still not sure if I want a 1st round DT project.....

He's a defensive tackle. Technique my ass. Unless he gets in his own way he'll be a monster. Can't say that about most prospects.

Obviously it takes effort but there's nothing about the DT position that can't be coached. Except the talent.

Being a project might be what allows us to get him, if he were a finished product he'd likely go top 5.

hageman is an absolute savage give me hageman marcus smith and Stanley Jean Baptiste and that would go a long way in making this defense elite. Then add a WR and TE later in the draft like richard rogers, cody latimer, cody hoffman or devin street and the best C/OG left at the other picks. then give rogers and harrison the chance as the move TE's and mix latimer/hoffman/street in with dobson, boyce, amendola and thompkins and theres solid potential there would i like another WR like Allen Robinson absolutely he's one of my top 5 players i want the Patriots to draft but hageman has the potential to be an all pro if he gets it right at least in my mind thats his ceiling.

You probably noticed but its worth restating - Marcus Martin is super young. 11/29/1993 is his birthday. Barely 20 years old.

That probably makes me want him less. Not sure how someone so inexperienced would be an upgrade over Wendell the next couple of years.

Being a project might be what allows us to get him, if he were a finished product he'd likely go top 5.

Ziggy Ansah? He probably won't go top 5 but there's too much athleticism there to fall as far as us as I see it. Ansah, Poe, Brockers all say so. I think it's not just his athleticism , it's that in combination with absolute perfect size and complete scheme versatility. 3-4 teams won't take him off the board because he's a perfect 5-tech and 4-3 teams won't discount him because he has potential elite 3-tech athleticism. On the other hand, Jernigan and Donald might not appear on 3-4 team boards and Nix might not be on the boards of 4-3 teams.

However, if he did fall as far as us, he's one of the few players I'd consider ahead of a TE.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back