PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

For those looking for a Cam Chancellor type safety, one guy who I really like that won't be a high draft pick, he might not be a draft pick at all, is Nick Williams from North Alabama. He is a former Georgia safety playing 3 years there before transferring to North Alabama. There doesn't seem to be any character issues behind the transfer, he simply thought it would be the best option for himself in terms of playing time and fit.

He's a big guy at 6'2" 222lbs and moves pretty well for his size. He isn't a deep CF safety but should excel as an in the box SS. Georgia tried using him as a LBer because of their depth at safety but that wasn't a great fit for him, but it shows his tackling and physicality that they would put him there. He is a fierce hitter that could add some attitude if he made the team. He also played a lot of special teams at Georgia so he could be a solid contributor or at least a decent camp body.

One concern though is his age. He played 3 years at Georgia between 2008-2010, redshirted at North Alabama in 2011 then missed 2012 with an injury. He came back and had a solid Senior season in 2013 but will be older that most of the other guys in the draft.

Nick Williams - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

I really like the way this guy tackles

Jean-Baptise was beaten deep twice by Allen Robinson versus Penn State. I'll be interested to see Stanley Jean-Baptise's combine numbers.

I noticed people were talking about Hageman. For the record, his film is quite boring, since you see the same thing on every play; tons of talent, terrible fundamentals. Also, I have noticed people saying that defensive tackles can be pretty easily coached, and for a guy like Hageman, it's all about talent. Frankly, I must point out that there is one form of "talent" that Hageman may or may not have that is quite underrated; hand quickness. I've talked about how much I love hand usage, in guys like J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Kawann Short, etc. Hand usage isn't just about fundamentals and long arms; it's also important to have quick hands like a boxer, to use your hands as knives, not sledgehammers. There is a correlation between general quickness and hand quickness (hence the value of steals as a means of measuring athleticism among NBA front offices for stats gurus), but it is far from perfect. He will look like J.J. Watt at the combine, but it remains to be seen if he has the hand quickness and coordination of a J.J. Watt, which would give him incredible potential as an NFL pass rusher. I would love to see if he had lots of steals during his basketball days; if he did, the potential is incredible, but if he didn't, he's more likely to become C.J. Wilson than J.J. Watt.

I noticed people were talking about Hageman. For the record, his film is quite boring, since you see the same thing on every play; tons of talent, terrible fundamentals. Also, I have noticed people saying that defensive tackles can be pretty easily coached, and for a guy like Hageman, it's all about talent. Frankly, I must point out that there is one form of "talent" that Hageman may or may not have that is quite underrated; hand quickness. I've talked about how much I love hand usage, in guys like J.J. Watt, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Kawann Short, etc. Hand usage isn't just about fundamentals and long arms; it's also important to have quick hands like a boxer, to use your hands as knives, not sledgehammers. There is a correlation between general quickness and hand quickness (hence the value of steals as a means of measuring athleticism among NBA front offices for stats gurus), but it is far from perfect. He will look like J.J. Watt at the combine, but it remains to be seen if he has the hand quickness and coordination of a J.J. Watt, which would give him incredible potential as an NFL pass rusher. I would love to see if he had lots of steals during his basketball days; if he did, the potential is incredible, but if he didn't, he's more likely to become C.J. Wilson than J.J. Watt.

Good thoughts. I agree - very little gets me more enthusiastic about a defensive lineman than to hear that he has "violent hands".

Two plays to explain why this is my favourite player in this draft:

Kyle Fuller vs. Alabama (2013) - YouTube

and

Kyle Fuller vs Georgia Tech (2013) - YouTube

The commentator in that Georgia Tech game, at one point, says that Georgia Tech have neutralised Kyle Fuller by running away from him. When does that get said about a CB?

By the way, he had a really interesting and fairly even match up with Mark Harrison in the Rutgers game. considering how much I like Fuller, that makes me feel good about Harrison.

Two plays to explain why this is my favourite player in this draft:

Kyle Fuller vs. Alabama (2013) - YouTube

and

Kyle Fuller vs Georgia Tech (2013) - YouTube

The commentator in that Georgia Tech game, at one point, says that Georgia Tech have neutralised Kyle Fuller by running away from him. When does that get said about a CB?
I still can't believe he had 14.5 TFL's his sophomore year. That's just unheard of for a corner.

I've debated for a while whether Fuller will be a corner or a safety at the NFL level. He has nice awareness and fluidity, which makes him outstanding on shorter routes, but he probably lacks the long speed to handle an NFL receiver one on one running a fly route. Of course, you could say the same about Alterraun Verner, and he does just fine at corner. He'll be outstanding as long as you give him help over the top. But I have come to the conclusion that safety may be a better option simple because he would be an awesome safety. There will be a learning curve, but he has every quality you want in a safety. Nothing missing whatsoever. I don't really have a great comparison for Fuller, but the best one is Marcus Gilchrist. There is a large difference between Gilchrist and Fuller. Gilchrist has the mindset of a linebacker but the body of a corner; he was moved to safety as a compromise, where he is more than sufficient against the run but still makes tons of mistakes against the pass. Fuller doesn't actually make mistakes against the pass; his technique in coverage is quite outstanding, and his only limitation is long speed. In short, Gilchrist has the mindset of a linebacker and the body of a corner; Fuller has the mindset of a linebacker, safety, or corner, and the body of a corner or a safety.

I still can't believe he had 14.5 TFL's his sophomore year. That's just unheard of for a corner.

I've debated for a while whether Fuller will be a corner or a safety at the NFL level. He has nice awareness and fluidity, which makes him outstanding on shorter routes, but he probably lacks the long speed to handle an NFL receiver one on one running a fly route. Of course, you could say the same about Alterraun Verner, and he does just fine at corner. He'll be outstanding as long as you give him help over the top. But I have come to the conclusion that safety may be a better option simple because he would be an awesome safety. There will be a learning curve, but he has every quality you want in a safety. Nothing missing whatsoever. I don't really have a great comparison for Fuller, but the best one is Marcus Gilchrist. There is a large difference between Gilchrist and Fuller. Gilchrist has the mindset of a linebacker but the body of a corner; he was moved to safety as a compromise, where he is more than sufficient against the run but still makes tons of mistakes against the pass. Fuller doesn't actually make mistakes against the pass; his technique in coverage is quite outstanding, and his only limitation is long speed. In short, Gilchrist has the mindset of a linebacker and the body of a corner; Fuller has the mindset of a linebacker, safety, or corner, and the body of a corner or a safety.

Re-watching Fuller, the thing that impresses me is that, considering the physical nature of his play, he is so disciplined with it. Rarely gives away foul play type penalties away (targeting, facemask etc).

He looks like an intriguing prospect. I was trying to get familiar with some of the defensive line players earlier today and watching video on them. I am very excited about the potential. I think some of these guys can really help!

In keeping with the theme of defensive backs, I want to watch more on Keith McGill, Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Pierre Desir. I really like the bigger corners. Does anyone have any opinions on these guys?

If we resign Talib, then this position isn't as big of a need as some of the other's on defense, but I don't think you can ever have enough good corners.

He looks like an intriguing prospect. I was trying to get familiar with some of the defensive line players earlier today and watching video on them. I am very excited about the potential. I think some of these guys can really help!

In keeping with the theme of defensive backs, I want to watch more on Keith McGill, Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Pierre Desir. I really like the bigger corners. Does anyone have any opinions on these guys?

If we resign Talib, then this position isn't as big of a need as some of the other's on defense, but I don't think you can ever have enough good corners.

I haven't focused on those three yet, but check out Antone Exum, another Virginia Tech guy. I do know that Desir did himself a lot of good at the shrine game and senior bowl.

I haven't focused on those three yet, but check out Antone Exum, another Virginia Tech guy. I do know that Desir did himself a lot of good at the shrine game and senior bowl.

Thanks Manx for Exum, going to check him out too!!!

Thanks Manx for Exum, going to check him out too!!!

He didn't play this year because of an injury but he's a 6' or 6'1" corner who is excellent at tracking the deep runner. He lacks some short area fluidity as most big corners do and he could stand to improve as a tackler. But he's very good as an outside corner.

Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson is a name to get familiar with. He's 6'0 and approx 185 lbs

Clemson CB Bashaud Breeland has a lot of appeal as a prospect. Extremely long arms, easy mover w/ + range. Won't make it far past the 2nd rd

Kevin Weidl

Agree w/ Mel here RT @MockingTheDraft Kiper thinks Bashaud Breeland of Clemson could go in the second round. Whoa.

Dane Brugler

For example, I'd take Bashaud Breeland over SJB every day.

Josh Norris

And apparently he will be in Daniel Jeremiah's next top 50.

Bashaud Breeland | Draft Breakdown

He grew on me the more I watched. Makes plays on the ball and looks pretty smooth. I'd give him a 2nd/3rd grade though. He's not a top 50 type to me.

Interesting Mallett disussion. And Jeremiah likes the idea of Houston going with Clowney at #1 and QB in the 2nd.

If Bridgewater is out of the running for them, and I don't accept that as a given, that's what I'd do if I was their GM.

OTG has gone all alliterative in his scouting report on Aaron Donald calling him a "blue chip beast bargain".

More and more, Donald is becoming my preference for the first round pick. Donald-Niklas/Rodgers (or a trade up if ASJ slips into the second) s becoming my preference. Still like a first round TE but Donald has that something extra to his game.

Aaron Donald Scouting Report ~ 2014 NFL Draft -

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back