PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

I'm not really an advocate for drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds even with Brady aging but if McCarron is there when we pick in the third then we'd be fools to pass....

I wouldn't take McCarron in the 4th

So I think I might have found the late round guy who is generally underrated right now (currently 210 overall at CBS). Meet:

Billy Turner, OT/OG, North Dakota State

6-5, 310 lbs.

turner.jpg

Billy Turner*|*North Dakota State,*OT*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Billy Turner | Draft Breakdown

So athletic in the second level and no mean LT either with his smooth feet. He might not test as well as Terron Armstead but he has a similar second level ability to both him and Jonathan Cooper (albeit not quite that elite). He would make an excellent LG in our system.

looks like teams and scouts are already aware:
If there’s a prospect that sticks out to me from the scoring side it would be North Dakota State left tackle Billy Turner. The senior is building a buzz in the scouting community and getting rave reviews from NFL personnel people. After a tip from an insider I pulled out recent NDSU tapes (Kansas State game first and foremost) and now understand why many are excited about his play. Turner, a long, lean athlete who shows no stiffness in his game, looks markedly improved from last season. He’s a terrific run blocker who easily gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. What’s prominent on film is Turner’s athleticism and the way he works throughout the action, blocking with a nasty attitude and playing through the whistle. Some feel he’s a better athlete than former Hillsdale product Jared Veldheer, a three year starter with the Oakland Raiders. While Turner needs fine tuning of his footwork in pass protection consider this; he entered the season stamped as a street free agent yet many scouts now feel he’s top 75 material. Considering the success NFL teams have had with small school lineman around the league (Veldheer, Jahri Evans, Jermon Bushrod), expect Turner to be in play during the draft’s second day next May.

Risers-Sliders: Week 11

Edit: When I say "I found", I mean for myself. Not trying to lay claim to anything more than that.

If a decent QB falls to the 5th round then grab him but nobody will. Next year look for a QB in the draft but I really feel like the next QB will end up being an undrafted/late pick that they coach up. A Brian Hoyer type, they wont be great but serviciable

Every time I check out Kyle Fuller, de #99 James Gayle consistently flashes.

So does anyone have any thoughts on Baylor WR Antwan Goodley?

Let's see. He's 5-10 and 220 lbs. he squats 660lb, the second most on the entire team and a timed 4.41 40. Also, consider the success of Baylor WRs recently and he's an interesting prospect.

Absolutely. Did you see his Georgia Tech game? Played virtual LB all game.
Yes. My favorite play was against Miami in 2012. 2 wide receivers to his side of the field, about 3 yards from each other. He's lined up over the outside receiver. The closest guy to the slot receiver is the safety, about 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. VT was daring them to throw a screen pass. Miami obviously does so, to the slot receiver, figuring that it's 2 on 1 with the safety so far off the slot receiver. Fuller beats his blocker instantly and brings down the wide receiver for no gain. The cool thing is not really the play he made. It's the fact that the coaches assume Fuller doesn't need help when he has to beat two guys by himself to stop play.

Yes. My favorite play was against Miami in 2012. 2 wide receivers to his side of the field, about 3 yards from each other. He's lined up over the outside receiver. The closest guy to the slot receiver is the safety, about 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. VT was daring them to throw a screen pass. Miami obviously does so, to the slot receiver, figuring that it's 2 on 1 with the safety so far off the slot receiver. Fuller beats his blocker instantly and brings down the wide receiver for no gain. The cool thing is not really the play he made. It's the fact that the coaches assume Fuller doesn't need help when he has to beat two guys by himself to stop play.

If only he was better at running deep an to man with a receiver. His one weakness in my eye (and if only we hadn't re-signed Kyle Arrington because Fuller would be perfect for that role). Still, he's probably my favourite prospect so far this year.

Could Fuller be a candidate to move to Safety? He's got decent enough size, is intelligent, instinctive and a good tackler. Sounds a little like Devin McCourty, although their style of play is a bit different. I'm not a huge fan of spending another high pick on a safety, but if we can get a guy that can cover 2 positions and play special teams I think that would certainly be decent value. I wouldn't mind having a thumper at the back but I wouldn't complain having another intelligent, ballhawk type safety.

Could Fuller be a candidate to move to Safety? He's got decent enough size, is intelligent, instinctive and a good tackler. Sounds a little like Devin McCourty, although their style of play is a bit different. I'm not a huge fan of spending another high pick on a safety, but if we can get a guy that can cover 2 positions and play special teams I think that would certainly be decent value. I wouldn't mind having a thumper at the back but I wouldn't complain having another intelligent, ballhawk type safety.

As long as the safety is a sure tackler, I don't think it's necessary to have a big hitter back there like; Lott, Atwater and Goldson. You get 15 yards for a big hit and a possible fine. Even if it's legal. With spread offenses, two CF types is probably the best way to go. Hope you have a big olb who can cover the te underneath. Like Collins.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back