PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Wonder if by time 2014 Draft Lyerla will be in prison...

Wonder if by time 2014 Draft Lyerla will be in prison...

It's amazing how badly he's screwed himself, I coveted him because I thought he was Ahern 2.0, that's looking more and more accurate now, and not in a good way.

I hope he can get his act together, at this point no one will be drafting him.

Apparently Lyerla's arrest was for cocaine. He's going undrafted.

Apparently Lyerla's arrest was for cocaine. He's going undrafted.

Indeed it was.

Former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla was arrested on Wednesday night on charges of unlawful possession of cocaine and interfering with a police officer, according to multiple reports out of Eugene.

The police report says that officers picked Lyerla up after they allegedly saw him snorting cocaine in his car. He allegedly admitted to using the drug and allegedly agreed to meet the police at his house to continue the investigation. Once he got to his residence, he allegedly raced out of his car into a nearby apartment. He later came out and was arrested by the police

Reports: Former Oregon TE Colt Lyerla arrested on charge of cocaine possession | CollegeFootballTalk

So this will please Off The Grid:

Here's what Grid thinks of Garoppolo:

Category: Jimmy Garoppolo -

I was trying to figure out how the Hell I was getting Clicks from this Site. Now I know!!
jester.gif

Thanks for the Shout Out, Brother Manx. Been reading your Work on this Thread as I tried to Solve The Mystery, and I must say that it's exceeding your already lofty Standards.
beer.gif

I'll definitely be making a Point of reading this Thread from Bow to Stern this Weekend, and catching up on what you, Brother Shawtaay, and the rest of this inestimable Crew have had to say.

Kiper/Mcshay now have Mariota as the #1 QB in the draft.

This will be interesting. Luck held off the "wow/potential" factor of RGIII to still be picked #1 overall. Let's see if Jacksonville falls in love with the wow factor in Mariota over the NFL ready franchise QB in Bridgewater.

If the Bucs get Bridgewater at #2 overall, watch out for that team next year.

Kiper/Mcshay now have Mariota as the #1 QB in the draft.

This will be interesting. Luck held off the "wow/potential" factor of RGIII to still be picked #1 overall. Let's see if Jacksonville falls in love with the wow factor in Mariota over the NFL ready franchise QB in Bridgewater.

If the Bucs get Bridgewater at #2 overall, watch out for that team next year.

RG3 had way more "wow factor" than Mariota has, and Bridgewater has quite a bit of it himself.

Luck has middling arm strength. Good, but his throws to the sideline have some float in him. That was the biggest knock on him. Bridgewater has a rifle.

If someone does this I'm going to laugh hard. Mariota is fool's gold. Does he ever throw a ball into a tight window? Not saying he's going to fail. But I haven't really seen any evidence in games that he'll succeed, either. Dennis Dixon was great for Oregon. Jeremiah Masoli, Darron Thomas. If Juice Williams played there he'd have been a Heisman candidate.

RG3 had way more "wow factor" than Mariota has, and Bridgewater has quite a bit of it himself.

Luck has middling arm strength. Good, but his throws to the sideline have some float in him. That was the biggest knock on him. Bridgewater has a rifle.

If someone does this I'm going to laugh hard. Mariota is fool's gold. Does he ever throw a ball into a tight window? Not saying he's going to fail. But I haven't really seen any evidence in games that he'll succeed, either. Dennis Dixon was great for Oregon. Jeremiah Masoli, Darron Thomas. If Juice Williams played there he'd have been a Heisman candidate.

omg i love your post sir. ipurposely signed on to talk about mariota. i am watching this oregon ucla game and i do not understand the love for mariota. never been a fan of him as a prospect and tonight just confirmed my thoughts. havent seen him make one nfl throw. he isnt very accurate, ill say his arm strength is pretty good, but his footwork is awful.

Torn ACL for Trey Millard.

If Mariota does go as the highest QB drafted (to jags) then they will fail again at getting a QB.

On another QB note, ranking Hundley above Manziel really is ignorant. Every expert/outlet seems to be following that, no idea why. He looks like a project.

Bridgewater, Manziel, Garappolo IMO can be franchise QBs. Mariota, Hundley, Boyd are all risky/smell like busts to me.

Torn ACL for Trey Millard.

Hate to root for injuries... but the Pats chances of getting him just went up big time.

patsinthesnow said:
On another QB note, ranking Hundley above Manziel really is ignorant. Every expert/outlet seems to be following that, no idea why. He looks like a project.

Bridgewater, Manziel, Garappolo IMO can be franchise QBs. Mariota, Hundley, Boyd are all risky/smell like busts to me.

I see you are on the Jimmy G bandwagon. Care to tell us more about him?

I guess I am on a bit of an island in this forum regarding Marcus Mariota, but I think he will be a great pro. I think Bridgewater is more pro ready, but I think you can like both players.

He is 6'4, still only 19 years old (for a few days) and has 197 passing attempts in a hurry up offense without a pick. He played a top 15 team tonight and completed 75% of his passes. He gets criticized for not throwing into tight windows,but given that his team often has a big lead where the only way the opposition is going to get back in the game is turnovers, that seems a little unfair.

I think he is far from a finished product physically. He is still only about 210-215 lbs and cab easily gain another 15 pounds. When he fills out in about 2-4 years and is on an NFL supervised diet and weight program, his plus arm will go up another tier. When you look at the incoming skills quarterbacks that get drafted in the top 10, Mariota definitely belongs IMO. I think this is particularly true in this new era of the contract friendly rookie scale, where the salary of a rookie QB is a very reasonable price for a starting QB.

I know this forum is for 2014 Draft Prospects but all this talk about Marriota is reminding me about Darron Thomas, I know he left early and wasn't even drafted but why isn't he in the NFL? Maybe Vikings or Browns should get him some snaps, he would have been a better choice than to bring in Tebow this summer IMO

I see you are on the Jimmy G bandwagon. Care to tell us more about him?

Well after reading what Manx/OTG posted of him, I was curious so I went searching.

EIU Football Wins 57 to 24 over Illinois St. 91413 - YouTube

-His release is lightning quick
-His decision making, command of the offense is impressive
-Arm strength looks pretty good
-NFL size

Big Picture: Mariota, Manziel, Mannion and ... Jimmy G? - CBSSports.com

Eastern Illinois is averaging 584 yards per game, more than 40 yards better than the next most prolific offense in FCS. The Panthers (5-1) started off the season with a bang, thumping FBS San Diego State on the road, 40-19. Their lone loss was a 43-39 defeat against unbeaten NIU. Babers' QB, 6-foot-3, 220-pound Jimmy Garoppolo, threw for 800 yards and nine TDs and only two INTs in the games against FBS opponents.

He tore apart two FBS opponents with FCS talent around him. He almost won a shootout against an undefeated FBS team. That catches my eye.

OhioValleyConference ‏@OVCSports 14h
.@EIU_Football QB Jimmy Garoppolo now holds the #OVC season TD record outright (35), passing Tony Romo. He now has 100 career TD passes.

The kid just broke Tony Romo's conference record for TDs with four games to play. Another eye opener.

Obviously the kid is a big unknown right now, but a lot of things make you very interested in him. If he is this year's BB reach, I'm on board.

Love DaQuan Jones after finally getting round to watching him. Disengages superbly, really active hands, stands up to double teams, quick get off. Rob Rang at CBS currently has him as #29 on his latest big board:

29. DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (6-3, 333): Jones was the Nittany Lions' most dominant player in an instant classic four-overtime victory against Michigan. Stout but athletic enough to handle duties all over Penn State's defensive line, Jones' strength and quickness is tough to handle.

Big Board: Big matchups reveal future stars, prospects' flaws - NFL, NFLDRAFT - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I'm not overly opposed to considering him in the first either, especially considering need, his school and that he's a nice fit in terms of size. His game against Syracuse is below.

DaQuan Jones vs Syracuse 2013 - YouTube

And an excellent article here:

For DaQuan Jones, believing he could break the mold led to football success - The Daily Collegian: Football

Love DaQuan Jones after finally getting round to watching him. Disengages superbly, really active hands, stands up to double teams, quick get off. Rob Rang at CBS currently has him as #29 on his latest big board:

Big Board: Big matchups reveal future stars, prospects' flaws - NFL, NFLDRAFT - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I'm not overly opposed to considering him in the first either, especially considering need, his school and that he's a nice fit in terms of size. His game against Syracuse is below.

DaQuan Jones vs Syracuse 2013 - YouTube

And an excellent article here:

For DaQuan Jones, believing he could break the mold led to football success - The Daily Collegian: Football

This needs to happen just because it would mean having three Joneses on the defensive line. :D

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back