PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

I'm not an nfl talent evaluator by any stretch. What do you draft experts think on the pro potential of UNC TE Eric Ebron? Junior that will certainly come out this year. I've seen rankings/mocks as high as end of rd 1. Too high for Pats?

I think he's the #1 TE right now based upon his athleticism. His drops worry me but there's a ton of potential with him. I'd personally prefer Amaro if he declares.

I thought DaQuan Jones - DT - PSU looked real good against Michigan. He doesn't have that great explosion you see in a pro-bowl dt. But, if we trade out of the first round like last year. He might be a good pick in Round 2. Tackles for losses. A couple of pressure where he'd have had a sack against a lesser athlete at qb. Devin Gardner is an elusive kid. One man show for the Michigan offense. Devin Funchess - TE - Michigan looks like an impressive athlete at te. Not draft eligible this year. But, someone to keep an eye on. Not a big stud like Gronk, more of the Gonzalez/Graham type of body. In other draft news from the game. Taylor Lewan got hurt and didn't play the 2nd half. Some sort of hip issue. Allen Robinson - PSU - WR had a couple of spectacular catches on PSU's last TD drive. A month ago I'd have said he's a lock to come out. Not so sure now. The NCAA will probably lift PSU's bowl ban after the season and they'll be able to go to one next year. He's a 3rd year junior and has said he wants to graduate. Tough to turn down guaranteed money though.
An under-sized dt from Michigan to keep an eye on is Frank Clark 6'2" 273lb a former db. Reminds me a little of John Randle. Very active. He's a 3rd year junior too. I would think he comes back for a senior year. Scored on a scoop and score to start the 2nd half. And, recovered another fumble in OT that should have won the game for Michigan. But, their kicker choked 2x in OT.

In the Red River War. The whole Oklahoma team was a no-show. OU has a 3-3-5 defense. Any offense with a pulse can run the ball down their throats. And, Texas did that. Case McCoy might have worse mechanics than Tim Tebow. Throws flatfooted about half the time and I believe he even stepped in the bucket once like you do golfing. Ugly. Chris Whaley DT - Texas 6'3" 295lb now is a former rb who returned an INT for a td looks like he might be able to rush the passer. Might be another Melton. Jeffcoat looked ok. Maybe, I'm not giving Texas enough credit. But, terribly un-impressed by what OU threw at them on offense and defense.

Great article (from the NEPatriotsDraft netowrk) on Lyerla:
Colt Lyerla: A Troubled Talent | Detroit Lions Draft
Through emails, texts, and a couple of phone conversations with various Oregon insiders, NFL scouts, Oregon teammates of Lyerla’s, and reporters who covered him in his high school days, I learned that Colt Lyerla is a deeply troubled person with a litany of issues that need resolution before he is ready to handle being a NFL player.

Oregon knew Lyerla was no choirboy when they recruited him. He comes from a troubled background and by several accounts wore that on his sleeve like a tattoo of pride. Lyerla arrived in Eugene after showing a lot of talent in high school but also a great deal of immaturity.

Manziel now 9th on CBS and jumped Boyd. My dream of him being a patriot seems close to over.

I need a new QB binky....

Manziel now 9th on CBS and jumped Boyd. My dream of him being a patriot seems close to over.

If you like Manziel, take a look at Brett Smith of Wyoming.

NFL-wise Murray, Mettenberger, Marriota, Boyd, Bridgewater, McCarron, even probably Morris>>> Johnny Football

A lot can change but reports the last two days have said that both Stephon Tuitt and Jace Amaro will be staying in school for their Senior seasons. Especially bad news on the TE front.

A lot can change but reports the last two days have said that both Stephon Tuitt and Jace Amaro will be staying in school for their Senior seasons. Especially bad news on the TE front.

@J_ACER22
The notes @BradMarquez_4 leaves on my car...how sweet, he thinks I'm leaving next year but I'm staying with my boys!

:bricks: :(

But these are the Patriots. Next binky up. :D

The Wolverines offense has gone freaking nuts against Indiana. Gardner and Gallon have been incredible (my boy Gallon has 14 catches for 369 yards and 2 TD's) but the guy that has impressed me most is Fitzgerald Toussaint, the RB. He's just made a Jump Cut that only the very very best make.

Tahj Boyd sucks....

So this will please Off The Grid:

Re: Garoppolo RT @Ethanhamm: @CDonFootball The Patriots are at EIU today. Probably looking at him.

Here's what Grid thinks of Garoppolo:

Jimmy Garoppolo is one of the most intriguing Prospects of this Draft. His Mechanics need work, how far he can develop his FirePower Potential is uncertain, and his Game in General is a bit raw…

But in the Short & MidRange Game, his is already Deadly, he has demonstrated phenomenal Accuracy & Precision in Moving The Chains ~ sometimes in Big Gulps ~ and he is blessed both with outstanding Processing Speed and ~ despite somewhat raw Mechanics ~ an absolutely stunningly rapid Delivery. And he spreads the Ball around.

That last cannot be overestimated in its Importance: Garappolo is one of the most convincing Play Fakers in this Class, and he includes the entire Roster in'is Receiver Arsenal.

He's a Student of the Game who listens to his Coaches and actually does The Little Things that help win Games.

Category: Jimmy Garoppolo -

So this will please Off The Grid:
Here's what Grid thinks of Garoppolo:
Category: Jimmy Garoppolo -

Just watching him against ISU that release :eek: don't think I've seen anyone release a ball that fast!

But I've also seen 1 article saying they've been told by NFL scouts first round for him, if the Patriots have real interest in him then are we looking at Brady's replacement?

NFL Draft 2014: Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo could be a first-round pick - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

OTG is spot on about his release & play action fake - those are special.

Just watching him against ISU that release :eek: don't think I've seen anyone release a ball that fast!

But I've also seen 1 article saying they've been told by NFL scouts first round for him, if the Patriots have real interest in him then are we looking at Brady's replacement?

NFL Draft 2014: Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo could be a first-round pick - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

OTG is spot on about his release & play action fake - those are special.

I don’t know if they’re planning on drafting him so much as evaluating their own evaluation process: they can look at him and gather their thoughts on what they project him to become and then look back at their notes a few years from now to see how it their projections compare to the reality, and potentially modify their evaluation/decision making. This is probably a good thing to do with all high level QB prospects.

That said, his release is awesome!

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back