PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Yeah that really sucks. He was having such a monster year, too, after moving inside to DT. His stock should drop significantly depending on his pro day and combine numbers. If it does, I hope the Pats take a long look.

Well Tank Carradine went in the mid-second so all is not lost for Easley but if he falls to the late third or 4th, I'd be all over him as a sub-package rusher. I wouldn't take him earlier than the third though even if fully fit because I just don't think he'd get the reps on our defense.

An interesting look at three TE's; Jace Amaro, Eric Ebron and Alex Bayer (BGSU):

Amaro thus far has averaged 7.67 yards after the catch, an extremely impressive number. For reference, dynamo Tavon Austin averaged just over 8 yards after the catch his senior season at West Virginia.

One final positive is that Amaro is seeing a wide diversity of catches within the offense. He has caught 50% of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS, but has also caught 28% of his passes past 10 yards, showing an ability to run down the seam, but also maintain a high YAC while catching short passes.

That sounds like another certain move TE to me.

Early Metrics Look at 2014 TEs | Second Round Stats

Next time you're watching/ogling at Ra'Shede Hageman, look out for the safety #21 on the Minnesota defense. He's Shane Vereen's younger brother Brock. Versus San Jose State this past weekend he really stood out to me. Used to be a corner. Small but makes up for it. Fast, physical, reportedly the "QB of the secondary" for his team, and both plays deep coverages for Minny and in the box. Really seems like the type of player whose skills are meant for the NFL. I think he looks like a good late-round sleeper to watch.

So far he and Vandy running back Jerron Seymour are the unheralded guys I've noticed who look like they have an NFL future.

Big night for Zac Mettenberger tonight against Georgia. Next to Bridgewater, Mettenberger is probably my favourite QB as a future NFL starter.

Big night for Zac Mettenberger tonight against Georgia. Next to Bridgewater, Mettenberger is probably my favourite QB as a future NFL starter.

Really? He was SO bad last year that I've been completely turned off to him. Obviously Bridgewater is first for me, but I like what I saw from Bortles today and obviously Mathews from Cornell is a guy I like alot. Beyond that, I find the rest of the class to be very questionable.

Really? He was SO bad last year that I've been completely turned off to him. Obviously Bridgewater is first for me, but I like what I saw from Bortles today and obviously Mathews from Cornell is a guy I like alot. Beyond that, I find the rest of the class to be very questionable.

Agree that the class isn't quite as rosy as once thought. I'm with you on Bridgewater and Matthews but have yet to watch Bortles. As for Mettenberger, yes he started badly but he was playing behind a heavily depleted OL last year and played in the most unimaginative offense going. However, at times, like the alabama game, Mettenberger showcased definite NFL talent. He is much better this year under Cam Cameron's tutelage and I see some throws which are a joy to behold.

I know little about his character save an arrest some time ago and obviously character and intelligence will significantly affect draft stock but I have Mettenberger as my #2 or #3 QB right now (can't get a read on Hundley yet) and certainly a first round or even top ten pick.

Further on Mettenberger following yesterday's game from three sources I like@

Daniel Jeremiah:

Zach Mettenberger is making a LOT of money today.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/384090651488694273

David Pollack:

Zac Mettenberger proved to everyone again that he is finally playing up to his massive talent. Most improved player in CFB.

https://twitter.com/davidpollack47/status/384137444926697472

Rob Rang:

By comparison, Mettenberger attempted and completed the more difficult throws Saturday. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Mettenberger consistently threw his receivers open, especially on deep in-cutting routes, showing off terrific ball-placement and velocity on NFL-caliber passes.

Mettenberger was unable to guide LSU to the win, turning it over on downs on his final possession, but LSU remained in this game until the closing seconds because of his ability to complete clutch throws over the middle.

Mettenberger was masterful most of this game, completing 23 of 37 passes for 372 yards and three touchdowns -- and no interceptions.

LSU QB Zach Mettenberger helps draft stock despite loss to Georgia - CBSSports.com

I was really impressed by Mettenberger. I agree that he looked like a pro QB.

How high will he rise? CBSsports has him as a 5th rounder. I just want a new kid to groom behind a 37 year old Brady next year.

I was really impressed by Mettenberger. I agree that he looked like a pro QB.

How high will he rise? CBSsports has him as a 5th rounder. I just want a new kid to groom behind a 37 year old Brady next year.

Manxman color me impressed by Mettenberger also. He was the best player on that field yesterday(save for maybe Gurley before he got hurt). Alot of the issues from last year are true, but I just can't seem to get past how AWFUL he was last year. The offense this year is much better and the protection has improved significantly. Obviously without him they're not even in that game. I still don't know if I'd feel comfortable ranking him highly with some really bad tape and the prior arrests, but I'm more intrigued and will definitely keep an eye on him going forward.

My new binkys, not sure if anyone talked about them yet.

Johnathan Brown LB from Illinois seems like a beast.
Here's from Rob Rang:
Strengths: Brown sports a stout frame with long arms and a thick lower half. He is quick to attack the line of scrimmage, showing impressive burst to make plays in the hole and the willingness to take blockers head-on. Brown has good speed to the flanks and pursues with passion, showing the ability to track and drag down ballcarriers from behind as well as the light feet and balance to drop into coverage. He shows a physical bull rush and good determination when after the quarterback and closes with a thump when he has an open lane.
Weaknesses: One area in which he needs to improve is in protecting his legs from cut blocks.

And Brent Urban a 6'7 295 pounds :eek: DT/DE from Virginia.
He actually was the 15th pick in the CFL draft but has no intention to go there.

My new binkys, not sure if anyone talked about them yet.

Johnathan Brown LB from Illinois seems like a beast.
Here's from Rob Rang:

"Harper's Ferry" is an exciting player to watch. He has a great nose for the ball, and he slips blocks you don't expect him to when he's running around. Strikes me as a guy who's going to get under-drafted because of "poor measurables" - and then go on to carve out a good starting career.

Manxman color me impressed by Mettenberger also. He was the best player on that field yesterday(save for maybe Gurley before he got hurt). Alot of the issues from last year are true, but I just can't seem to get past how AWFUL he was last year. The offense this year is much better and the protection has improved significantly. Obviously without him they're not even in that game. I still don't know if I'd feel comfortable ranking him highly with some really bad tape and the prior arrests, but I'm more intrigued and will definitely keep an eye on him going forward.

Mettenberger is looking good, but the player on that offense I'm most impressed with is Jarvis Landry. Odell Beckham Jr is a dangerous returner as well as receiver, but I'm starting to think Landry might become one of the NFL's top receivers (I realize that's a long way off :) )

Will Sutton out of Arizona State makes a lot of splash plays and causes havoc behind the line of scrimmage.

He's an undersized DT at 290lbs, but he can rush the passer with ease. With the NFL being more of a passing league these days than it was 10 years ago when Wilfork was drafted, I wonder if Belichick would draft a guy like Sutton in the 1st rd.

Will Sutton out of Arizona State makes a lot of splash plays and causes havoc behind the line of scrimmage.

He's an undersized DT at 290lbs, but he can rush the passer with ease. With the NFL being more of a passing league these days than it was 10 years ago when Wilfork was drafted, I wonder if Belichick would draft a guy like Sutton in the 1st rd.

Personally, I hate Sutton as a prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up undrafted. When I watch ASU I see a guy who is way underpowered, and has short arms and overrated athleticism. He's going to get eaten alive by the interior linemen in the NFL imo.

Obviously I don't have a big board or anything, but based on history of where players fall, to me he's a 4th round value.

bilde

6'1'' (some reports have listed him as 6'2''), 205-210 lbs

Craig Loston, hard hitting safety for LSU. Projected to go around mid-late 2nd round.

Pick 6: LSU's Craig Loston 100 Yard Interception for Touchdown - YouTube

LSU-Florida 2012: Craig Loston vs Florida (2012) - YouTube

LSU vs Clemson: Chik-fila-A Bowl: Craig Loston vs Clemson 2012 Bowl - YouTube

Press Conference: 2013 SEC Football Media Days - Craig Loston - LSU S - YouTube

:rocker:

The big 'concern' with him I guess is nagging injuries which he's had a propensity for having over his LSU career. He had 3 injury-riddled seasons to start his LSU career but finally avoided the injury bug had a breakout season last year. He's a 5th year senior right now and last year was his 1st year starting.

He got voted on to the 2nd team All-SEC last year. Also he apparently is a special teams ace. :singing:

08/21/13 - TOP LSU PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 2. SS Craig Loston (6-1, 209, 4.56)...Loston is in many ways a similar prospect as Reid. While perhaps not quite as athletic as the 49ers' first round pick, Loston possesses a well-built frame, good instincts for the position and is a fearless hitter. He played in two games as a true freshman in 2009 before suffering a wrist injury that caused LSU to redshirt him and has seen extensive time (23 games, including two starts) since as a rotational defender and special teams ace.
Reid's speed made him a terrific centerfielder for the Tigers. With Reid playing back, Loston was often allowed to attack downhill, showing rare acceleration and explosion as an open-field hitter. Loston's aggression gets the better of him, at times, as he'll duck his head into tackles (which could draw flags or lead to injury) and sometimes fails to break down adequately, relying on hitting rather than tackling to knock ball-carriers to the ground. As the senior member of LSU's secondary, Loston enters the 2013 season with plenty of eyes upon. If he can build upon last year's success, Loston could emerge as the top safety in the country. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Craig Loston*|*LSU,*SS*:*2014 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Personally, I hate Sutton as a prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up undrafted. When I watch ASU I see a guy who is way underpowered, and has short arms and overrated athleticism. He's going to get eaten alive by the interior linemen in the NFL imo.

Obviously I don't have a big board or anything, but based on history of where players fall, to me he's a 4th round value.

That's what a lot of people said about Chandler Jones here. (overrated, too skinny, runs like a giraffe, etc).

That's what a lot of people said about Chandler Jones here. (overrated, too skinny, runs like a giraffe, etc).

And Chandler Jones is relevant to Will Sutton how? They literally have nothing in common.

Sutton this year isn't the Sutton of last year. He's put on weight and is being asked to hold the LOS more. He's a Geno Atkins type that needs to be let off the leash.

He's cause havoc for someone like the Bengals or Seahawks.

Sutton this year isn't the Sutton of last year. He's put on weight and is being asked to hold the LOS more. He's a Geno Atkins type that needs to be let off the leash.

He's cause havoc for someone like the Bengals or Seahawks.

Given your early call on Mt. Solder, is there anyone you like for the Pats this year? :)

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back