PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Free Agent WRs - Who would you want the Pats to bring in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colston isnt really a burner but he is a big target who goes up for the ball and usually always makes the catch in key moments. The Saints have several free agents including Brees, Nicks, and Colston. If they get Brees signed before FA starts, and everything seems to indicate they will, they use their tag on one of the others and if I had to guess they'll use it on Nicks because I think Colston will be easier to sign from the chatter I hear in New Orleans.

Meachem is intriguing to me but at the same time I would think a guy they drafted in the first round a few years back would have more receptions, especially in that offense. I think he was like 6th on the team this year. That said, he is fast and probably wouldn't be too pricey.

No, you can't have any of them. They all suck anyway :). Colston can only play in a dome, wind makes him chaff, and meachem calls in sick a lot. lol
No seriously we spent 4 years getting these guys to be perfect, trained by are well known WR coach , who's now head coach of trulane. You can't have them now that we spent all this time making them perfect.

meachem couldn't catch a thing for 2 years, but we worked with him. Funny thing is he has the same vertical leap as colston, and most don't know he runs a 4.2 :) Thats why you see him or henderson running out end around runs. They have him listed at 4.4 but its not accurate. Colston runs 4.4. Meachum is a serious deep threat and a baller, now. Like when he ripped the interception out of that redskin players hands and ran for a TD, he's come a looong way. On any other team he'd be a #1,#2 WR easy, on the saints we have to much talent, so he never gets reps. Check his college run times, and it will confirm his speed.
Colston is without saying. He will catch anything, but sometimes miss the easy ones . Good thing about colston is he dosnt run his mouth and if he misses one he won't miss another, no matter how impossible it might seem. Colston is a proven elite WR. We have another WR Arrington who will probably replace henderson at some point, he good. Arrington is a Colston look alike, he looks like RW,lol. But you can't have any of them.
2012 NFL Free Agent Profile: WR Robert Meachem - Hogs Haven
Scout.com: Adrian Arrington Profile

No, you can't have any of them. They all suck anyway :). Colston can only play in a dome, wind makes him chaff, and meachem calls in sick a lot.
Unrestricted free agents Brees, Colston, Meachem, Nicks. Who stays and who goes?

I vote Lloyd because he's played in a McDaniel's system and has had success.

Lloyd has to the top choice as he's proven he can play in a McDaniels system. It seems not many can get the Pats system as it relates to outside receivers.

Lloyd has to the top choice as he's proven he can play in a McDaniels system. It seems not many can get the Pats system as it relates to outside receivers.

They need 2 starting caliber WR's...a burner(a la young Branch) and a physical type(a la Givens).

Lloyd and Floyd show....sign Brandon in FA, and draft Michael from Notre Dame, 6-3, 224.

Draft another TE, and move AH around to WR roleThrow Welker, AH, and Gronk in this mix and you have an unstoppable offense that can be physical

WR's : Lloyd, Floyd, Welker, AH, Slater, Underwood
TE: Gronk, AH, draft blocking TE

Floyd has offfield issues that may scare some teams and he could drop. May have to trade up from 27 to 20 range to get him

Having Eddie Royal or a good kick returner would be nice.

Unrestricted free agents Brees, Colston, Meachem, Nicks. Who stays and who goes?

Brees gets a deal ( he said he won't be franchised), Nicks gets Franchised (SP is a OL freak). Colston gets a deal. Tracy Porter or Meachem get the deal, maybe, but I don't see how we afford either after a deal with Brees. So, they probably both might go.

and the rest are up for grabs. We have a lot more, but these are the only semi decent players

defensive end Jeff Charleston,
linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar,
defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin,
offensive lineman Pat McQuistan,
receiver/return man Courtney Roby,
defensive tackle Shaun Rogers,
cornerback Leigh Torrence,
safety Jonathon Amaya (exclusive rights),
receiver Adrian Arrington (exclusive rights),
center Brian de la Puente (exclusive rights),
offensive lineman Justin Drescher (exclusive rights),

Last edited:
Brees gets a deal ( he said he won't be franchised), Nicks gets Franchised (SP is a OL freak). Colston gets a deal. Tracy Porter or Meachem get the deal, maybe, but I don't see how we afford either after a deal with Brees. So, they probably both might go.
What's the Saints current salary cap situation? Relevant sources would be ideal.

and the rest are up for grabs. We have a lot more, but these are the only semi decent players

defensive end Jeff Charleston,
linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar,
defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin,
offensive lineman Pat McQuistan,
receiver/return man Courtney Roby,
defensive tackle Shaun Rogers,
cornerback Leigh Torrence,
safety Jonathon Amaya (exclusive rights),
receiver Adrian Arrington (exclusive rights),
center Brian de la Puente (exclusive rights),
offensive lineman Justin Drescher (exclusive rights),

Porter really seems to have regressed since 09. I wonder how much of that is Williams sending the damn house every down and leaving him one on one. He's a guy I would bring in for a look on defense.

No question: Vincent Jackson (29 years-old) at 6-5, 230 lbs in free agency and Alshon Jeffrey from South Carolina in the 2nd round of the draft. Jeffrey is a 6-4 230 lbs mammoth out of the SEC.

The Pats would go 6-5 and 6-4 at WR, 5-8 in the slot, 6-5 and 6-8 at TE.

Darelle Revis is gonna need a bigger island.

How do we know V Jackson could pick up the system like Moss did? or would he be like Ocho? You need a certain Football to be successful in this system. B Lloyd has played and flourished in this system. I'll take the sure thing thank you.

What's the Saints current salary cap situation? Relevant sources would be ideal.

$125 million I believe.

some of the casualties could include the following:

Will Smith 9.75 against the cap next year
Roman Harper 6 M
Vilma 7M

The Saints salary cap figure stands at $94 million, not $102 million. As Pat Yasinskas explains, most original media reports included Brees final voidable year. But since the reason Brees is a FA is that year is voided, the actual number is $94 million.
2012 salary cap - NFC South Blog - ESPN
2012 salary cap - NFC South Blog - ESPN

This means we're starting out roughly $30 million under the cap.

Colston, Nicks, and Brees combined first year cap number could be, reasonably, as low as $23 million ($12 for Brees, $7 for Colston, $4 for Nicks, based off first year numbers for Michael Vick + some change, Sidney Rice + some change, Jahri Evans + some change). With no first round pick that remaining $7 million could, conceivably, get the roster filled out and draft class signed.

that would mean middle-tier FA's, like Meachem, Franklin, Rodgers, and Porter would likely walk. In order to retain them as well additional funds would be required.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-target-in-free-agency-and-the-draft/page/2

Last edited:
Dwayne Bowe would be ideal and he is the best fit IMO but it is unlikely they let him walk. He's certainly the best FA WR this year overall.

I like the Eddie Royal suggestion. That guy embodies the Patriot way. Not a bad consolation prize.

My ultimate FA haul would be Bowe and Tyvon Branch! I get the shakes just thinking about that scenario.

Porter really seems to have regressed since 09. I wonder how much of that is Williams sending the damn house every down and leaving him one on one. He's a guy I would bring in for a look on defense.

I think porter is a steal. He's actually one of the faster CB in the NFL. He's a 4.2-4.19 man. Williams scheme was very complicated. Shaun Rogers, and others have stated they didn't fully understand it after he left.
And Porter had to share time with Robinson all year, who we believe GW liked better. Your right though, most of our secondary were victims of GW's 60% blitz package, only greer could defend his side better than average. Man, Greer was a steal. Anyone who gets porter will be very lucky, lol, and he's liked in NE already. Hate to see him go though he's really good in maned coverage with no blitz, and can chase down any RB, unless he's trying to strip lynch and not tackle him

Last edited:
I think porter is a steal. He's actually one of the faster CB in the NFL. He's a 4.2-4.19 man. Williams scheme was very complicated. Shaun Rogers, and others have stated they didn't fully understand it after he left.
And Porter had to share time with Robinson all year, who we believe GW liked better. Your right though, most of our secondary were victims of GW's 60% blitz package, only greer could defend his side better than average. Man, Greer was a steal. Anyone who gets porter will be very lucky, lol, and he's liked in NE already. Hate to see him go though he's really good in maned coverage with no blitz, and can chase down and RB, unless he's trying to strip lynch and not tackle him

My concern about Porter is him pricing himself out of the Patriots' range. I could see bringing him in to compete, but I think he'll be looking for definite starter's money, so I've never really looked at him as an option.

Last edited:
I like garcon, also....if manning can trust his routes and hands, then brady can, too.

early doucet is a possibility, also

thin crop tho

My concern about Porter is him pricing himself out of the Patriots' range. I could see bringing him in to compete, but I think he'll be looking for definite starter's money, so I've never really looked at him as an option.

Thats the problem for porter though. He's going to go pretty cheap compared to his talent because GW messed his recored up so much. Our LB's can't cover anyone so porter would try to cover 2 guys routinely. And sense Greers numbers were so good in pass coverage, QB's picked on porter and Robinson a lot. I think he's a steal because he is a faster greer type CB, but will never get 20 mil. Maybe 5-8 mil 3 years.

Last edited:
Ray Rice (BAL)
Matt Forte (CHI)
Marshawn Lynch (SEA)
Peyton Hillis (CLE)
Mike Tolbert (SD)
BenJarvus Green-Ellis (NE)
Cedric Benson (CIN)
Michael Bush (OAK)
Ryan Grant (GB)
Arian Foster (HOU) - Restricted

I doubt the Pats will go for a FA RB

The OCs in NE won't call any rush plays because the RBs suck. I haven't seen one that looks anymore promising than Maroney did years before them. Pats need power in the running game.

Hillis may be out of the price range, but he'll be a monster for the Pats if he's motivated. Bush is all good with me as well.

They won't sign anyone so I ignored the list, they will just draft a guy and never use him. Though they may sign the oldest/cheapest guy available especially if he is on his last leg.

Hopefully Ridley is who you all say he is and we can improve the offense by running.

I don't think Ridley is any better than BJGE, he's just a little faster when coming out of the back field, but still not getting it done.

They need to get a dependable RB to take the pressure off Brady and then get him at least one of these good FA WRs.

The OCs in NE won't call any rush plays because the RBs suck. I haven't seen one that looks anymore promising than Maroney did years before them. Pats need power in the running game.

Hillis may be out of the price range, but he'll be a monster for the Pats if he's motivated. Bush is all good with me as well.

I don't think Ridley is any better than BJGE, he's just a little faster when coming out of the back field, but still not getting it done.

They need to get a dependable RB to take the pressure off Brady and then get him at least one of these good FA WRs.

I absolutely agree. To extend Bradys longevity we need to have an impact runningback to take some pressure off him so defenses can't just pin their ears back and go after Brady every down. I like BJGE but c'mon there's not a defense out there that's afraid of him and if no one respects your running game, people are just gonna go straight for the QB every down.

Let's resign Welker and then sign Colston and Lloyd. We'll see how many Pats haters are laughing then.

Hillis and McDaniels have a negative history and Hillis has the makings of a diva...why would we ever want him here. I'd rather grab DeSean Jackson or Stevie Johnson, who are both bat**** crazy but can produce the deep speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye