PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Free Agent WRs - Who would you want the Pats to bring in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Lloyd is the most likely WR added. He said he wants to follow McDaniels and McDaniels is the only guy who gets him to work.

I could also see Eddie Royal added because his familiarity with McDaniels, McDaniels got ok production out of him, and he is a good returner (7th in the league in punt return average). The guy had a great rookie year and kind of declined since, but might be a good #3 or #4 WR.

This is a great idea. Lloyd has been on my radar for a while with the JMD link but Royal would be a great scalp. Getting Lloyd and Royal both at decent prices would be great. Obviously re-signing Wes Welker is the first thing but imagine keeping Welker and adding Lloyd and Royal to the offense? I think that would be amazing. Drafting a WR at some point aswell would be a wise move.

They won't sign anyone so I ignored the list, they will just draft a guy and never use him. Though they may sign the oldest/cheapest guy available especially if he is on his last leg.

Hopefully Ridley is who you all say he is and we can improve the offense by running.

Greetings,
A nice sleeper on that list would be Laurent Robinson.

Celticboy04

I have a feeling we will see Reggie Wayne in a Pats uni next year. Belichick always had high praise for him. And he's going to be 34 in 2002, which makes him eligible for the over-the-hill WR acquisitions we have seen the last few years (Galloway, Torry Holt and Ochocinco).

Might not be the most exciting prospect, but Wayne still had 75 catches last year playing without an NFL QB (and 5 more catches than Garcon).

Greetings,
A nice sleeper on that list would be Laurent Robinson.

Celticboy04

Wow, I didn't even look at the list I just jumped in the thread. He's another good possibility, he was a TD machine (11) and a middle of the field target
(15.9ypc). He's 6 foot 2 and will be 27 years old.

There are alot of options to add a real #2 near Wes, the odds are one of them will be affordable.

No question: Vincent Jackson (29 years-old) at 6-5, 230 lbs in free agency and Alshon Jeffrey from South Carolina in the 2nd round of the draft. Jeffrey is a 6-4 230 lbs mammoth out of the SEC.

The Pats would go 6-5 and 6-4 at WR, 5-8 in the slot, 6-5 and 6-8 at TE.

Darelle Revis is gonna need a bigger island.

Guys lets give Nick Caserio a chance with Drafting a WR, Pioli was the one who couldn't do it consistently. Caserio hasn't taken a WR in the Second Round yet...i am going to reserve judgement until he does. Nick Caserio has already hit on Two TE's and last year he too Two RB's who look ok. Now i think in 2012 he takes Two WR's...one of these year the Patriot organization will get it right at WR.

He has had a chance in the third round with Price, and that didn't go over too well.
I often wonder if the Patriots offensive scheme is just too damned complicated and whether it needs simplifying (a la Colts...).

-Jamman

Given recent history, I'd be very weary of WRs who come from totally different offensive systems. That's why I pass on VJax, Colston, and Meachem (who also has significant history of injuries).

Lloyd seems to be a no-brainer as long as he doesn't price himself out of the Patriots' price range.

Bowe is another one who's been highly productive in a similar system and his best years are ahead of him.

I think the Reggie Wayne or Garcon could also be an upgrade over Branch.

Finally, I agree with the premise that getting another good overall TE should be a priority. It's almost a foregone conclusion that BB drafts one in the middle rounds (if not sooner).

No question: Vincent Jackson (29 years-old) at 6-5, 230 lbs in free agency and Alshon Jeffrey from South Carolina in the 2nd round of the draft. Jeffrey is a 6-4 230 lbs mammoth out of the SEC.

The Pats would go 6-5 and 6-4 at WR, 5-8 in the slot, 6-5 and 6-8 at TE.

Darelle Revis is gonna need a bigger island.

Greetings,
That is nice fantasy to have and seems like only a dream. There really is no telling where Jeffrey is going to end up in the draft. He could go as early as mid-first or all the way down to the second, depending on how much his weight is going to be an issue. I just see the guy as being a Hall of Famer or complete bust, depending on his weight. I feel there is no in between with this guy. I did not watch him this season, did a lot last year and he looked like he could better than Calvin Johnson.

Celticboy04

There are alot of options to add a real #2 near Wes, the odds are one of them will be affordable.

Greetings,
I have a feeling that will probably end up happening. I just doubt that a receiver that is considered elite will be brought in next season. Part of that has to due with other positions that really needed to be upgraded as well. I think he can help this team more than a lot of people think.

Celticboy04

Greetings,
That is nice fantasy to have and seems like only a dream. There really is no telling where Jeffrey is going to end up in the draft. He could go as early as mid-first or all the way down to the second, depending on how much his weight is going to be an issue. I just see the guy as being a Hall of Famer or complete bust, depending on his weight. I feel there is no in between with this guy. I did not watch him this season, did a lot last year and he looked like he could better than Calvin Johnson.

Celticboy04

I think Jeffery is solid, but most all of his downfield throws are contested. He's strong and has good hand/eye coordination but I didn't see him go across the middle. A tight jam at the NFL level will throw him off. He could be coached, but he isn't as ready as Mohamed Sanu.

He's not that fast... If he fell to us in the late 2nd I would take him. He looks better than he plays.

Vincent Jackson is going to want 10-12 million per year, probably 2 million more than Colston or Bowe (KC won't let him leave). But of course he would be great to have.

The only other rookie WR that I would want over Mohamed Sanu would be Justin Blackmon...They'll be excellent pro players..imo.

They won't sign anyone so I ignored the list, they will just draft a guy and never use him. Though they may sign the oldest/cheapest guy available especially if he is on his last leg.

Hopefully Ridley is who you all say he is and we can improve the offense by running.

Why won't the Pats sign anyone on the list. They already tried to trade for Lloyd and him sign to a multiyear deal when the Broncos put him up for trade. The guy wants to play for McDaniels and the word on him is that McDaniels is the only one who can get production out of him. I would give him coming to the Pats at about a 80-90% chance.

The only other rookie WR that I would want over Mohamed Sanu would be Justin Blackmon...They'll be excellent pro players..imo.

I think the Rams will take Blackmon........

Why won't the Pats sign anyone on the list. They already tried to trade for Lloyd and him sign to a multiyear deal when the Broncos put him up for trade. The guy wants to play for McDaniels and the word on him is that McDaniels is the only one who can get production out of him. I would give him coming to the Pats at about a 80-90% chance.

How old is Lloyd? I would love to add him or VJax, Colston, Wayne. Bowe is a good threat to have with Gronk, maybe add a Meachum to stretch the field. I just don't see them grabbing anyone who isn't past their prime and ready to retire.

How old is Lloyd? I would love to add him or VJax, Colston, Wayne. Bowe is a good threat to have with Gronk, maybe add a Meachum to stretch the field. I just don't see them grabbing anyone who isn't past their prime and ready to retire.

Lloyd is 30 (he is 31 in July) has potentially 2-3 years left in him before he hits the age wall. Why not sign him for two to three years? Odds are he will be cheap because most teams will stay away from him and he already showed his hand and said that he wants to play for the Patriots. Belichick traded for Ochocinco and paid him at age 34.

I think Bowe will be franchised and if he isn't, he will probably be the highest paid WR free agent.

There were rumors a couple of years ago that Belichick loved Vincent Jackson and wanted him if he was available, but Jackson is several years older and more injury prone.

Personally, I wonder how much Meachum and Colston are a product of Brees. Although Brady is on par with Brees.

I would only consider Wayne on an one year value deal.

Brandon Lloyd would be perfect for this system. Josh McDaniels made him look like a superstar when Lloyd had Kyle Orton as his quarterback, and he also did pretty good with the Rams. He's not a big enough name that you have to break the bank either.

I like Reggie Wayne too, but I don't know if he would be a significant upgrade over Deion Branch. I'd rather they get Lloyd, draft more WRs, and spend the rest of free agency improving the defense

Lloyd isn't 31 until July.
OK so hes Thirty and a half, going on Thirty One. That being said i think he should have 2-3 good years left.

Last edited:

Lloyd will be 31 by start of next season. Bowe will be 28.

Lloyd is 6' 190, Bowe 6'2 220

Bowe is much better option than Lloyd - injuries, strength, and 70+ catches in 5 of his 6 years.

Agree, I don't think Pats will sign either. It will be typical recycle parade, or maybe a trade for some malconteent or some 1 year prove it deal, ie Stallworth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back