PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Pro-Day news and notes

Perhaps they'll sign Tory Holt as their #1 WR or perhaps they'll feel they have enough RB depth or perhaps they'll feel they have the (right) QB in Brett Ratliff so that taking CB-binky can be rationalized.

It would be all too good if they really are in love with Josh Freeman, though.
Won't it just. :p

Pro Day Risers | In The Bleachers College Football Blog
Pro Day Risers
Posted on 2009 under College Football News
20 Mar

With the NFL draft fast approaching we turn our attention away from the combine and squarely to the series of team sponsored “Pro Days” held around the country. While not holding the same weight or even objectivity as a that of the combine, a successful pro day can factor in significantly in improving the draft status of a prospect, especially in cases of players who find themselves “on the bubble” in terms of whether or not they’ll be drafted. The following players have distinguished themselves during the past month or so of pro day activities, and should more than benefit from the numbers they’ve put up in front of NFL Scouts. Video highlights (where applicable) can be found by clicking on the prospect names.

wow! what a pro day by Devin Moore. He must have a lot of GM's thinking Steve Slaton right about now. I'd gather he is moving up a few spots..............

Not the Oakland Raider TE Zach Miller, but the Zach Miller from Nebraska-Omaha had a pretty sick pro day as well. Very nice numbers.

Scout.com: Barwin Rocks His Pro Day, More Visits On Tap
Barwin Rocks His Pro Day, More Visits On Tap
Ed Thompson
ScoutNFLNetwork.com Mar 20, 2009

University of Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin put on yet another impressive postseason display of his talents in front of NFL coaches and scouts as he performed a rare feat at his Pro Day. Learn more about what he did and the teams that he's scheduled to visit in the coming weeks from Scout.com's Ed Thompson.

Of note from Florida's Pro Day...

Percy Harvin has a 'great workout'
"The main question is they wanted to watch me come out of breaks and run routes," Harvin said. "Once they saw me do that today, I think I cleared up a lot of questions. A lot of coaches came up to me and said they were very pleased. They said I had a great workout.
On the advice of some of the scouts, Harvin elected not to run the 40, accepting the 4.41 he ran at the NFL Combine in January. "The scouts said they'd seen me enough, they knew I was fast," he said.

Harvin lifted weights, putting up 225 pounds 22 times (three more reps than he did at the Combine) and he did the vertical leap (37 inches) and the standing broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches).
Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver coach Todd Monken seemed impressed.

"All he did was confirm what I think you already know. He's an explosive athlete that once the ball is in his hands has a chance to score from anywhere on the field,"Monken said. "All he did was confirm that."

Monken said the only concern now is Harvin's durability.

Cornelius Ingram's workout draws oohs, aaahs
Ingram, who has been working out with trainer Pete Bommarito at Perfect Competition in Davie, said he only ran the 40, did the broad jump and pass routes, where he looked very good and drew oohs and aahs from the crowd after making a difficult catch late. He didn't do, among others, the vertical jump or three-cone drill, opting to keep the leap (33 inches) and time (7.12 seconds) he got at the Indianapolis Combine in January.
"What you have at the tight end position this year, which I think is one of the deepest in the draft, is you've got Brandon Pettigrew from Oklahoma State, whose the best combination blocker and receiver in the draft," Mayock said. "After that, there's four, five, six highly athletic kids like Cornelius Ingram.

"Being a former quarterback, a former basketball player, you can see how athletic he is. That's the new breed of tight end.

"Like I said there are four or five other guys. A couple of them are a little quicker than him in the 40-yard dash, but I love his hands and the way he competes."

Draft Risers and Sliders: Pro Days - NFL - SI.com
Posted: Friday March 20, 2009 1:09AM
Draft Risers and Sliders: Pro Days

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

It was another important week of pro-day workouts as scouts branched out across the nation to watch the top NFL prospects show off their talents. The results of this weeks workouts will directly impact the first round of April's draft.

Risers

Connor Barwin/DL-OLB/Cincinnati:

Jeremy Maclin/WR/Missouri:

TJ Lang/OL/Eastern Michigan:

Antonio Appleby/ILB/Virginia:

Javon Ringer/RB/Michigan State:

Brandon Underwood/DB/Cincinnati:

Nader Abdallah/DT/Ohio State:

Eron Riley/WR/Duke:

Sliders

LeSean McCoy/RB/Pittsburgh:

Chase Daniel/QB/Missouri:

Notes: Missouri safety William Moore is back to full health...

Arizona receiver Mike Thomas moved up draft boards with a good senior season at receiver and his special teams skill is also drawing attention. During his pro-day last Saturday, Thomas fielded 30-punts, catching all but two.

draftguys.com
Draft Stock Rising and Falling 3/20/09
by Cecil Lammey on 03/20/09

The Draft Stock Market mirrors the NYSE in the fact that there are many ups and downs each week. As my rankings change with their weekly update, I will post the movement here and give an explanation as to why certain players are rising up the draft board while others may need a draft stock bailout.

19 reps! Awesome, he matched Captain Munnerlyn! Of course, Captain's 5'9" 182 lbs....:rolleyes2:

Those are just terrible numbers across the board, especially for a friendly pro day. At this point the most optimistic thing you can say about Smith may be that LenDale White has proven to be a pretty good player after a similar pre-draft meltdown.

You may note that he was over 350 pounds at the time of the Senior bowl. He was 335 at the combine, and 325 at his proday.

He said that his offseason was concentrated on shedding weight to the levels that the Pros wanted. And he has been doing that, at the cost of time in the weight room or a specialized combine training camp, to elevate some rather specious and irrelevant measures. All things considered, that is an important consideration.

He already dominates on the gridiron; and he has relieved the concern that he would eat himself out of the NFL.

You may note that he was over 350 pounds at the time of the Senior bowl. He was 335 at the combine, and 325 at his proday.

He said that his offseason was concentrated on shedding weight to the levels that the Pros wanted. And he has been doing that, at the cost of time in the weight room or a specialized combine training camp, to elevate some rather specious and irrelevant measures. All things considered, that is an important consideration.

He already dominates on the gridiron; and he has relieved the concern that he would eat himself out of the NFL.

Andre Smith had the longest arms of any offensive lineman at the combine, almost 36", which makes the bench press much harder for him. I don't think that his bench press is in any way indicative of his functional strength, which appears to be excellent.

For all his post-season issues, his play does stand out.

Andre Smith had the longest arms of any offensive lineman at the combine, almost 36", which makes the bench press much harder for him. I don't think that his bench press is in any way indicative of his functional strength, which appears to be excellent.

For all his post-season issues, his play does stand out.

Smith is a tough case, because there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that he's a "bad kid" or a troublemaker. He's just come across as a weak kid in need of strong guidance, to the point of babysitting. Muddling up on agents, showing up naively unprepared for the combine, panicking and running away from the combine without telling anybody...he just seems to be in over his head when it comes to the business of professional football.

And yes, he's tremendously talented.

So maybe you say "hey, the structure and leadership he'd find with the Pats are just what he needs." Or maybe you say "this is not the tough-minded, football-first type who thrives with the Pats." And just possibly you say "if it's this bad before the draft, how is the poor kid going to deal with the pressures and hangers-on that come with 1st-round $$?

Smith is a tough case, because there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that he's a "bad kid" or a troublemaker. He's just come across as a weak kid in need of strong guidance, to the point of babysitting. Muddling up on agents, showing up naively unprepared for the combine, panicking and running away from the combine without telling anybody...he just seems to be in over his head when it comes to the business of professional football.

And yes, he's tremendously talented.

So maybe you say "hey, the structure and leadership he'd find with the Pats are just what he needs." Or maybe you say "this is not the tough-minded, football-first type who thrives with the Pats." And just possibly you say "if it's this bad before the draft, how is the poor kid going to deal with the pressures and hangers-on that come with 1st-round $$?

I was mainly commenting on the bench press being a lousy measurement in particular for Andre Smith given his long arms. But you're right, there was no hint up to the Sugar Bowl that Smith was a problem guy. He seems more clueless about how to handle the postseason and pre-draft process as opposed to being a real troublemaker.

I never saw his style as particularly well suited to the Pats, and I don't see any way that he lasts until 23 anyway. I have a hard time seeing him fall past SF at 10, Washington at 13 or Chicago at 18.

Ohio.com - McMANAMON: Some believe in trading Quinn
• KSU quarterback Julian Edelman made a strong impression in his pro day workout March 12. Edelman ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, had a vertical leap of 361/2 inches and a broad jump of 10 feet, 3 inches. He ran a 3.91-second shuttle; NFL types asked him to run again because they didn't believe the number. Those stats are more than impressive for a guy who is being looked at as an NFL receiver and who, if drafted, would go second day. ''He's a really skilled guy — similar to [Antwaan] Randle El and Seneca Wallace,'' a league insider said. ''He can play 'Wildcat,' return kicks, and he may be the next Wes Welker as a wide receiver.'' High praise, but Kent State has a reputation for producing athletes who go on to succeed in the pros.

Draft Daddy reports on one of Kevin O'Connell's buddies...
A reliable source has told us nimble San Diego State guard Lance Louis wowed scouts at his March 21st Pro Day. He displayed a 32.5" vertical leap, did 30 bench press reps, posted a 8' 9" broad jump and ran the forty in 4.69 and 4.73 seconds at 6' 2" and 300 pounds.

DD.comment: Right now we are unsure how Louis projects as a prospect, although we know his stock is on the rise. We'd guess he's a player that could find his way into the 5th to 7th round area, if he does well in private workouts. Below is a quick scouting report from the source that sent us his Pro Day info:

"Lance was likely the biggest signing for San Diego State in 2004, as he was one of the top ten tight end prospects in the country. He had offers from L.S.U., West Virginia, Florida State, Alabama and more but choose S.D.S.U. because of the weather and opportunity to play right away. As a true freshman Lance played in all 11 games and started the last 5 games of the season at tight end. He missed four games due to injury as a sophomore (2005), but played and started at tight end in the teams remaining 7 games. After missing the 2006 season due to a knee injury, he moved to right guard where he played in every game 2007. Louis' senior year he moved to right tackle where he started every game for the Aztecs.

Lance is a very intriguing prospect to N.F.L. teams, because he's a guy who can play guard and center and can be a goal-line tight end. He comes out of his stance very athletically and keeps a wide base. He sets up anchor very well in pass protection, keeps his hands active and isn't easily pushed around. He is a good drive blocker and gets good movement and push in short-yardage situations because of his strength. Sustains blocks inside through the whistle and does a phenomenal job of getting to the second level and latching onto defenders. He possesses a nasty streak that N.F.L. teams love in offensive lineman, and his athletic ability is second to none, at his position.

Last edited:
Strong Pro Day performance could push ex-Hawk up in NFL draft | GazetteOnline.com - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City
March 23. 2009 9:50PM
Strong Pro Day performance could push ex-Hawk up in NFL draft
By Scott Dochterman
The Gazette

IOWA CITY — Former Iowa running back Shonn Greene wowed NFL scouts at Iowa's Pro Day on Monday.

Greene, a consensus All-American last fall, ran a 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds at Iowa's indoor facility. That's about .06 seconds below his time at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis last month. It could also send him up the draft charts as well.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back