PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Pro-Day news and notes

I'm still a little leery of Moore based on his poor 2008 campaign, which is a pit because the 2007 William Moore would have been the ideal pick at #23 and would be a monster in our secondary next to Meriweather. His poor performance could have all been a combination of poor coaching use, injuries and increased weight, but it would personally take more than one good pro day to make me jump for him in the first. But at #58 he would be a solid value.

The other point I would add is that the Missouri defense was simply awful. It seems like bad defenses result in reduced safety stats...in the same way that safeties generally thrive with a front 7 applying pressure and solid coverage outside. Add in the injuries as you mention and I don't think he had much of a chance his senior year.

Moore looked great against Kansas (one of my favorite games of the year) and was also very active in the bowl game. The Oklahoma game was such an embarrassment that I hesitate to even include that. It looked to me like he was around the ball a lot in the last handful of games. I'm inclined to think he is closer to 2007 (69 solo, 2 sack, 8 int) than his statistically challenged senior year.

If Moore is there at 34, I wouldn't mind seeing him picked. In the 4th quarter of games, I would rather see him in coverage than Rodney lumbering behind a TE on a slant route or JSanders taking one of his "Mr. Magoo" angles to a receiver.

Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech reportedly looked good at his pro day, and was clocked in 4.59 in the 40 (with Detroit reportedly clocking him at 4.49).

Johnson dazzles NFL scouts at Pro Day | ajc.com

Tom Dimitroff in particular was very complimentary about him. I hope this guy flies up draft boards and pushes someone down to us at #23. He is an incredible physical specimen, no doubt - maybe the one DE/OLB with more physical upside than Connor Barwin - but his inconsistency scares me, and I think he is more of a 4-3 DE than an OLB, though he does have decent agility and ability to operate in space for a DE.

Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech reportedly looked good at his pro day, and was clocked in 4.59 in the 40 (with Detroit reportedly clocking him at 4.49).

Johnson dazzles NFL scouts at Pro Day | ajc.com

Tom Dimitroff in particular was very complimentary about him. I hope this guy flies up draft boards and pushes someone down to us at #23. He is an incredible physical specimen, no doubt - maybe the one DE/OLB with more physical upside than Connor Barwin - but his inconsistency scares me, and I think he is more of a 4-3 DE than an OLB, though he does have decent agility and ability to operate in space for a DE.
John Fox was there to see how he compared to Julius Peppers.

Andre Smith measured in at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds.

Hawks: Andre Smith's Pro Day

Andre Smith measured in at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds.

Can someone say slipping to the second round. Wow at the end of the year before the whole agent thing I thought of this guy as a Top 10 pick. I really am suprised someone has not kick this guy in his ass as he has loads of natural talent. On film I would take this guy at 23 in a second but how he has prepared for the NFL draft makes me worried on how he would prepare for pre-season year after year.

19 reps! Awesome, he matched Captain Munnerlyn! Of course, Captain's 5'9" 182 lbs....:rolleyes2:

Those are just terrible numbers across the board, especially for a friendly pro day. At this point the most optimistic thing you can say about Smith may be that LenDale White has proven to be a pretty good player after a similar pre-draft meltdown.

19 reps! Awesome, he matched Captain Munnerlyn! Of course, Captain's 5'9" 182 lbs....:rolleyes2:

Those are just terrible numbers across the board, especially for a friendly pro day. At this point the most optimistic thing you can say about Smith may be that LenDale White has proven to be a pretty good player after a similar pre-draft meltdown.
NFL Total Access showed clips from his Pro Day...I really could have done without seeing him running shirtless...those poor scouts. :banned:

What? 19 reps? Heck, I can do 19 reps of 225 and I am old fart :D

Robert Ayers posted a 6.91 3-cone time at his pro day, just off Connor Barwin's combine time of 6.87. Impressive agility for a 270 lb. DE, suggests again that he may be a good fit at LB (I like him at SILB).

Pro Day Notes | Drew's Notebook | GoVolsXtra.com

B.J. Raji, Pat White improve 2009 NFL Draft stock at pro days - NFL - SI.com
Posted: Friday March 13, 2009 12:19PM; Updated: Friday March 13, 2009 12:59PM
Draft Risers and Sliders: Pro Days

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

Pro-day workouts started to heat up this week as a number of universities around the nation hosted NFL decision-makers who put some highly rated prospects to the test. There were a lot of nice surprises and a few big disappointments. Here's a breakdown.

Risers

BJ Raji/DL/Boston College:

Pat White/QB/West Virginia:

Brice McCain/CB/Utah:

Demonte' Bolden/DT/Tennessee:

Robert Francois/LB/Boston College:

Jamarko Simmons/WR/Western Michigan:

Marcus Thigpen/RB-RS/Indiana:

Sliders

Andre Smith/OT/Alabama:

Paul Kruger/DE-OLB/Utah:

Ian Campbell/DE-LB/Kansas State:

Running back McCoy 'OK' at Pitt Pro Day - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Drew Rosenhaus draped an arm over the shoulders of LeSean McCoy after the running back's workout at Pitt's Pro Day, the agent offering his client condolences instead of congratulations. McCoy was disappointed with a performance he rated "OK" after reportedly running the 40-yard dash in the 4.5-second range and turning in below-average measurements in the jumps.

McCoy will likely remain on the bubble of the first and second rounds after being measured at 29 inches in the vertical and 8-11 in the broad jump.

By comparison, Connecticut's Donald Brown ran a 4.51 40 with a 41 1/2-inch vertical and 10-5 broad jump at the NFL Combine, with the latter tests designed to measure power and explosiveness.

"People said (McCoy) did exactly what they projected," said Rosenhaus, who noted that McCoy has gained six pounds to 204. "They were glad to see he put some weight back on. He was very sick — and I don't like to make excuses for guys, and he certainly won't make any excuses — but I still don't think he's 100 percent."

Another notable performance was Ohio State LB Marcus Freeman:

NFL.com said:
Another strong performance came from LB Marcus Freeman (6-0 3/4, 239 pounds). He looked really good in drills and was healthy for the first time in a while after battling a bad ankle all season long at Ohio State. He ran the 40 in 4.51 and 4.52 seconds, and he turned in times of 4.08 in the short shuttle and 6.66 in the three-cone drill.

That's blisteringly fast and agile. At about 6-1 240, he could play a quick ILB in a 3-4, and is a possibility with the Pat's last second or their third rounder - projected in the 50-75 range. He's been a weakside OLB, but his failing is a lack of effective blitzing. However, he is a very good tackler, and reacts quickly. He might project better inside.

Another notable performance was Ohio State LB Marcus Freeman:

That's blisteringly fast and agile. At about 6-1 240, he could play a quick ILB in a 3-4, and is a possibility with the Pat's last second or their third rounder - projected in the 50-75 range. He's been a weakside OLB, but his failing is a lack of effective blitzing. However, he is a very good tackler, and reacts quickly. He might project better inside.

Many people remember Belichick's comment that for his 3-4 he coverts college DEs to OLBs; many forget the continuation and he converts college OLBs to ILBs.:D

Aaron Maybin reportedly ran a 4.59 40 at his pro day, weighin in at 252 lbs.

Maybin significantly lowers 40 time at PSU Pro Day - Bob Flounders: On Penn State football - PennLive.com

He showed nice ball skills and ability to play in space at the combine. I can definitely see him rising as a 3-4 OLB prospect given all of the teams converting to that defense.

I really like this news as I thought Maybin was a great talent who moved so stiff at the combines not to mention how slow he ran. He has production on the field and a huge upside as he is so young. I could not believe the before and after pictures of him gaining 25lbs wow quite a transformation. I am looking for some film on this kid because he is now on the radar at #23 for me. Putting on that weight so quick may explain his combine and the month since he has been able to grow more into his size if you understand what I mean. This was evident by this report.

Many people remember Belichick's comment that for his 3-4 he coverts college DEs to OLBs; many forget the continuation and he converts college OLBs to ILBs.:D
And one or two take it a step further and look for OLBs who are used to stacking and shedding OL or have shown enough improvement in their hand use to suggest they will continue that trend as a Pro. With that in mind, Freeman would make a decent SS/hybrid.

I really like this news as I thought Maybin was a great talent who moved so stiff at the combines not to mention how slow he ran. He has production on the field and a huge upside as he is so young. I could not believe the before and after pictures of him gaining 25lbs wow quite a transformation. I am looking for some film on this kid because he is now on the radar at #23 for me. Putting on that weight so quick may explain his combine and the month since he has been able to grow more into his size if you understand what I mean. This was evident by this report.
He was very fluid in drills, but he timed slower in the 40 and his 3-cone was indeed stiff. I still think this kid came out a year too early. The main knock on him was his ability against the run. I just don't see him as a good fit for NE.

Actually, at the combine, he did run slow, but everyone said he was very flexible, showed great agility, etc. In other words, he had a slow 40 but aced everything else.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back