PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Pro-Day news and notes

Kenny Britt, Jason McCourty and Kevin Brock shine at Rutgers pro day - New York Giants Football - NJ.com
Kenny Britt, Jason McCourty and Kevin Brock shine at Rutgers pro day
by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
Monday March 23, 2009, 6:32 PM

I promised earlier I would give you an update on what I saw from the Giants at Rutgers' pro day, so I wanted to make good on that vow.

As I noted earlier, there were only two Giants' scouts at the workout and neither seemed to be paying any particular attention to a given player. After the running and jumping drills, a few players did positional drills or met with scouts individually. Unless something happened behind closed doors, the Giants didn't give those players any individualized attention.
http://scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=7607
Rutgers Football Hosts Annual Pro Combine Day
Posted on 3/23/2009 6:10:25 PM

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Forty-one scouts from 27 NFL teams attended the Rutgers Pro Combine Tuesday at the Hale Center and Indoor Practice Bubble in Piscataway. The scouts watched 11 former Scarlet Knights from the 2008 squad take part in the combine, along with six other former Scarlet Knights from past seasons.

Last edited:
nothing on the safety greene......I wonder why
I edited in a second article from Rutgers which contains a link to the school's results sheet. Green redid his broad jump only with a 9' 10" score.

Draft Daddy is reporting:

We usually don't mention long-snappers, but we've been told Cal-Berekley's Nick Sundberg has really caught the attention of N.F.L. scouts and could sneak into the latter rounds. Here's some info from a reliable source in the football world:

Everyone I know at Cal told me he's the best they've ever seen. He snapped every short and long snap for the Bears since his true freshman year, four straight seasons, and his consistency was off the charts. Mike Tice (Jaguars) and the Panthers special teams coach were there to work him out. Nick has been under-hyped relative to the Hawaii and Michigan snappers, who both played in the Senior Bowl and were the only two to attend the Combine, but my N.F.L. sources tell me Nick is the best pure snapper in this draft. His comparison would be Ryan Pontbriand, the Browns snapper, who is the highest pure snapper ever drafted (5th round in 2003). Pontbriand has since signed an extension with the Browns and is the highest paid snapper in the league. Sundberg snapped in the Shrine Game, and has used a personal snapping coach (Ben Bernard in Phoenix) since early in high school. His workout regimen for snapping is unbelievable. Here is a video link to a snapping session Nick did with longtime N.F.L. special teams coach Gary Zauner.

Morgan State University nose tackle Lonnie Harvey had his pro-day last week, the only scout to show up was a representative of the Philadelphia Eagles. With the lack of publicity surrounding the M.S.U.'s Football program, Lonnie decided to have a camera crew follow him around during the workout and created a youtube highlight of the event. He displayed athleticism (at 6'3" and 346 lbs) and showed why teams are becoming more and more intrigued with a defensive linemen who can either play the nose in a 3-4 scheme or be that one or three technique in a 4-3 scheme. Currently projected as a latter pick or priority free agent, Harvey has already secured workouts/visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Carolina Panther and Indianapolis Colts. The New England Patriots are the latest team to inquire about Lonnie, fitting since they might be looking to add depth behind Vince Wilfork on draft weekend.

UConn pro day today.

Darius Butler ran a 4.38 40. William Beatty put up 30 reps of 225 on the bench press, showing good strength and effort. He keeps improving.

"Will Beatty was awfully impressive benching 225 pounds 30 times.

The whole room got quiet when he started to struggle getting through his 27th rep and I'm sure NFL people did this to see how hard the kid was willing to work since there is/was a question about his work ethic.

I don't know if Beatty noticed the husk but he pushed the weight up three more times."

Oh, and Bill Belichick was present.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2009/03/jwill-killin-it-up-here-and-bu.html

UConn pro day today.

Darius Butler ran a 4.38 40. William Beatty put up 30 reps of 225 on the bench press, showing good strength and effort. He keeps improving.

"Will Beatty was awfully impressive benching 225 pounds 30 times.

The whole room got quiet when he started to struggle getting through his 27th rep and I'm sure NFL people did this to see how hard the kid was willing to work since there is/was a question about his work ethic.

I don't know if Beatty noticed the husk but he pushed the weight up three more times."

Oh, and Bill Belichick was present.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2009/03/jwill-killin-it-up-here-and-bu.html
UConn Football: Pro Day a huge step for program - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin
UConn Football: Pro Day a huge step for program

By JOE PEREZ

Posted Mar 25, 2009 @ 11:17 PM
Last update Mar 25, 2009 @ 11:18 PM
Storrs, Conn. —

No matter how his now former players account for themselves as professionals, Wednesday’s Pro Day produced a 100-yard smile for coach Randy Edsall.

It wasn’t too long ago that many coaches and scouts wouldn’t be caught dead evaluating outgoing Huskies. But with Donald Brown, Darius Butler, Will Beatty and Cody Brown all projected as selections in the first four rounds of next month’s draft, an unfathomable thought for a program barely on the map a few years ago, 42 members of various NFL staffs arrived on campus to test a dozen UConn hopefuls.

Quarterback Tyler Lorenzen is looking at slim odds of catching on in the NFL at his current position, but Belichick had a different idea.

The Patriots head coach asked to see the 6-foot-3 Lorenzen work out as a defensive back. It was a move that Lorenzen initially balked at, but saw the chance to improve his stock as either a late-round pick or as an undrafted free agent.

San Francisco asked to see Lorenzen work out as a receiver.

“It definitely wasn’t planned by any means,” Lorenzen said. “Scouts asked me if I’d like to participate. At first, I was kind of hesitant, but I was like, ‘You know what? Let’s give it a shot; Why not?’ Everyone’s here, I might as well as do it.”

Butler, flashing neon green track shoes that he received at the combine, blazed to a 4.35 time in the 40-yard dash. The Patriots are interested in Butler with the second overall pick in the second round.

Does anyone really know if the Patriots are interested in Butler with the 34th overall pick? Have they set up a private workout or is the above post just full of bs claiming the Pats are interested in Butler?

Does anyone really know if the Patriots are interested in Butler with the 34th overall pick? Have they set up a private workout or is the above post just full of bs claiming the Pats are interested in Butler?
The first report I've seen, they've had a chance to see him at the Senior Bowl and Combine too, so they may not need a private workout. The issue with Butler is whether he'll still be there for #34 since he and Davis are the two top CBs with good speed.

NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Workout Watch: New England Works 'Nole
Workout Watch: New England Works 'Nole
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Tuesday, 24 March 2009 18:34

Florida St. linebacker Derek Nicholson works out for the Patriots, while also drawing interest from the Chiefs and Broncos.

New England...worked out Florida St. linebacker Derek Nicholson the day after his Pro Day according to Justin VanFulpen. Some scout's view him as a potential fit as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but he would probably benefit from putting some weight on his 6'0, 230-pound frame.

I can see why they are interested. Butler had a great combine performance and followed that up with an impressive Pro Day. I would have said that Springs + Bodden might have killed their interest in drafting a CB... however Hobbs contract is up at the end of the year and Bodden is signed to only a 1 year deal. So it still might make sense to draft a CB.

Here's Tony Pauline's latest pro days "risers and sliders":

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/27/riser.sliders/index.html

Notable on his list - DE Jarron Gilbert: "Gilbert put on a show for scouts last Friday and stamped himself as one of the more athletic big men in the draft. The 284-pound lineman posted times as fast as 4.76 seconds in the forty, 4.40 in the short shuttle and 7.56 in the three-cone, marks which were far better than his performance at the combine. Gilbert was later run through defensive line drills by New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan and drew a lot of praise for his work."

Pro Day Results | Daily Chronicle
Pro Day Results

Northern Illinois held its pro day...

Defensive end ... English said his fastest time according to one scout was 4.62 seconds and his slowest time according to another scout was 4.75 seconds. English ran the 40 in 4.77 seconds at the NFL Combine.

English...also revealed that he scored a 34 on the Wonderlic test.

Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers. The New York Giants are scheduled to come out to scout English next week.

per Draft Daddy:
We recently received Pro Day numbers for a pair of former Northern Iowa stars:

DT Everette Pedescleaux -- 40 yard dash: 4.97; Vertical Jump: 26.5"; Broad Jump: 8'5"; Short Shuttle: 4.85; 3-Cone: 7.75; Bench Press: 22 reps

SS Darrell Lloyd -- 40 yard dash: 4.50; Vertical Jump: 38.5"; Broad Jump: 10' 10"; Short Shuttle: 4.40; 3-Cone: 6.99; 60 yard: 11.42; Bench Press: 14 reps

The training facility that prepped Barwin lists some of their prospects who worked out there:http://www.ignitionapg.com/blogger.html
The following players are moving up on draft boards and opening eyes with great workouts: Ignition takes pride in being the facility in the Midwest that can take a player and work them into a fine tuned machine that will move up draft boards for sure after posting awesome numbers during workouts!!!!

Connor Barwin: UC Bearcats -
Eron Riley: Duke Blue Devils-
Andrew Means: Indiana Hoosiers-
Mike Mitchell: Ohio University –
Mike Mickens: UC Bearcats –

Here's Rob Rang from NFLdraftscout's take on pro day risers and sliders:

Pro Days wrap: Who helped their stock, hurt it, still has questions - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

The most interesting riser: Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois. "Not invited to the combine, Williams impressed first at his own Pro Day, running in the low 4.5s and then was even faster when invited to the Northwestern Pro Day, clocking in at 4.44 and 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash at 238 pounds. Williams could be the first non-combine-invite drafted."

Among the players listed as having unanswered questions: Brian Orapko, DE, Texas: "Reviews were mixed of Orakpo's pro day performance. Teams love his late burst and physicality, but some question if the bulked up Longhorn isn't too stiff after watching him drop back during linebacker positional drills." I personally see Orapko as a 4-3 DE and think he will be another Vernon Gholston at OLB.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back