PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Pro-Day news and notes

TJ Lang is a possibility as the first non combine draftee also.

Absolutely. And I would be thrilled with Williams at 89 and Lang at 97, or vice-versa. And Devin Moore later on would be the cherry on top.

I just don't see Jason Williams as a good fit next to Mayo at SILB. I'd rather see who's left at 89 & 97, like maybe Jasper Brinkley, or an I/O tweener like Tyrone McKenzie, or a DE conversion like Cody Brown. I'll also be curious to see who's left at CB.

TJ Lang is a possibility as the first non combine draftee also.

I might cast my lot with Antonio Appleby. I wouldn't hesitate to spend a 5th on him. His only liability is pass coverage, which you would expect in a late prospect. He can stack and shed, he can fill gaps, and he's a sure tackler with 3-4 ILB experience.

Interestingly enough, he was rated as the #25 LB prospect coming out of HS. He was rated as the #9 TE prospect.

I think the ILB thumper crowd, and I include myself here, might be sleeping on him a bit.

Last edited:
:enranged: Just as I was adding him to my "Undebated" list!

Oops. Feel free to use your moderatrixness to post-date that post.

Oops. Feel free to use your moderatrixness to post-date that post.

:)

It's odd, with all the discussion of "high floors" and "readiness" that there hasn't been more talk about Appleby as an immediate hole-plugger at SILB.

:)

It's odd, with all the discussion of "high floors" and "readiness" that there hasn't been more talk about Appleby as an immediate hole-plugger at SILB.
Based on his game against Clemson (the only UVA game I saw this year) and no improvement observed in Texas vs. The Nation, I had written him off as a late round flyer if no better option presented.

Based on his game against Clemson (the only UVA game I saw this year) and no improvement observed in Texas vs. The Nation, I had written him off as a late round flyer if no better option presented.

I didn't watch it, but I read two different reviews of that game that said he was among, if not the, best player on the field. One was a Virginia paper, so I can discount that one, the other was a draft website.

Not doubting you, again, I didn't see the game.

Last edited:
I didn't watch it, but I read two different reviews of that game that said he was among, if not the, best player on the field. One was a Virginia paper, so I can discount that one, the other was a draft website.

Not doubting you, again, I didn't see the game.
I thought he played well in coverage, and showed no "nose" for the ball. His smaller partner, Copper, was always two steps ahead of him locating the runner.

What are your guys thoughts on Lee Robinson from Alcorn State?? He has been very productive and is Versatile to play outside and SILB maybe?? Just doing some research on LB late in the draft which could benefit us depending on what we do with what we have.

I found this on NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM

"An ultra-productive linebacker who finally made the All-SWAC team as a senior (first team), collecting 111 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. The four-year starter had 223 tackles (33.5 for loss) coming into the season, so he was no one-year wonder. NFL defensive coordinators who use 3-4 scheme principles may view him as a potential starter at rush linebacker."

"Positives: Good height and upper-body strength. … Can bull rush and rip from running back/tight end blocks. … Nice closing speed, runs downhill to attack ball carriers. … Often lines up outside the defensive end in a rushing stance to take advantage of his explosiveness. … Uses his hands to keep cut blocks off his knees. … Fights through trash inside to get to the ball carrier. … Will hustle down plays. … Team leader on and off the field.

Negatives: Teams will not know whether he's a versatile inside-outside linebacker or a "tweener" until they have him in training camp. … High and slow in his backpedal, but can stay with tight ends in short areas. … Does not change direction well laterally in space. … Needs to improve his open-field tackling, as he bounces and slides off too easily bigger backs. "

Lee Robinson, Alcorn State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

From what I have read he has did well at the Texas vs the Nation game and showed good athleticism. But can he be a SILB for us he seem to have alot of production in college.

I thought he played well in coverage, and showed no "nose" for the ball. His smaller partner, Copper, was always two steps ahead of him locating the runner.

I was referring to the TVtN game.

Copper is a heck of a player. Too bad he's hard to locate without a microscope.

What are your guys thoughts on Lee Robinson from Alcorn State?? He has been very productive and is Versatile to play outside and SILB maybe?? Just doing some research on LB late in the draft which could benefit us depending on what we do with what we have.

I found this on NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM

"An ultra-productive linebacker who finally made the All-SWAC team as a senior (first team), collecting 111 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. The four-year starter had 223 tackles (33.5 for loss) coming into the season, so he was no one-year wonder. NFL defensive coordinators who use 3-4 scheme principles may view him as a potential starter at rush linebacker."

"Positives: Good height and upper-body strength. … Can bull rush and rip from running back/tight end blocks. … Nice closing speed, runs downhill to attack ball carriers. … Often lines up outside the defensive end in a rushing stance to take advantage of his explosiveness. … Uses his hands to keep cut blocks off his knees. … Fights through trash inside to get to the ball carrier. … Will hustle down plays. … Team leader on and off the field.

Negatives: Teams will not know whether he's a versatile inside-outside linebacker or a "tweener" until they have him in training camp. … High and slow in his backpedal, but can stay with tight ends in short areas. … Does not change direction well laterally in space. … Needs to improve his open-field tackling, as he bounces and slides off too easily bigger backs. "

Lee Robinson, Alcorn State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

From what I have read he has did well at the Texas vs the Nation game and showed good athleticism. But can he be a SILB for us he seem to have alot of production in college.
Possibly, he was more noteworthy for his coverage than his run stuffing in Texas vs. The Nation, he showed good speed on the field and actually looked faster than his timed speed.

I just don't see Jason Williams as a good fit next to Mayo at SILB. I'd rather see who's left at 89 & 97, like maybe Jasper Brinkley, or an I/O tweener like Tyrone McKenzie, or a DE conversion like Cody Brown. I'll also be curious to see who's left at CB.

Not too shabby; now let's see if he proves himself worthy of my mention by this time next year.

Ah the memories. Like my glowing praise of William "Can't get on the field for a bad Falcon's secondary before landing on IR" Moore.

Though I can take solace that I never got on the Jarron "Pool Jumper" Gilbert bandwagon. His most exciting quote came just after Christmas:

"I just want to get on the field," Gilbert said. "It doesn't matter where."

Isn't that precious? I was all prepared to say I could have given the Bears the same stats for much less money...and then he goes out and gets his first (and only) tackle in week 17. Dipwad.

Ah the memories. Like my glowing praise of William "Can't get on the field for a bad Falcon's secondary before landing on IR" Moore.

Though I can take solace that I never got on the Jarron "Pool Jumper" Gilbert bandwagon. His most exciting quote came just after Christmas:

Isn't that precious? I was all prepared to say I could have given the Bears the same stats for much less money...and then he goes out and gets his first (and only) tackle in week 17. Dipwad.
The same Bears that traded the franchise for Jay Cutler and just re-inflated his ego by canning the offensive coaches? Lovie probably thought Gilbert was his new Nickelback. :confused2:

The same Bears that traded the franchise for Jay Cutler and just re-inflated his ego by canning the offensive coaches? Lovie probably thought Gilbert was his new Nickelback. :confused2:

Well, he's got the fade covered.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back