PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 black coaches in SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I am saying Gomez...thanks....they got to where they are on merit, at least that is what I thought, I am glad I am not the only one thinking this...it drives me nuts when someone is in my face playing the discrimination card like a broken record. These two coaches have confidence in what they are doing, they are honorable men, they have proven success, that is why they are there....who cares what color they are...and regarding another person's post about young black men looking at the tv and admiring a head coach and thinking that one day they could be there...you know what, the longest distance they need to look for admiration is across the kitchen table and admire their own dad (and mom). I would like to think they are adminring their parents as role models, not someone on the tv who they never ever met...and that is what i love about Dungy, he is a strong family man with stong family values, that is who young black (and all color) people need to look up to...

...in my opinion

The first part of my post meant to say that I have never faced racism. We COMPLETELY DISAGREE. I think it IS a big deal.

It a story because it is a "first". How many stories would there be right now if the Giants were playing the Colts and it was the first "brother vs brother" Super Bowl? If one of the coaches was in a wheelchair it would be a first and it would be a huge stroy. If one of the coaches is a woman? All huge stories.

10-15 years from now if Lovie, Dungy, Romeo, Herm etc have coached in a number of S.B.s it will no longer be mentioned.

Well said.

Said by someone who is white, no doubt.

Why yes, yes I am.

Are you saying that only white people hope to live in a world where the greatness of someone's actions won't be judged by their skin color?

If they're trying to get the point across that everyone is equal, than why are they making a big deal in saying two black coaches are in the SB? It just doesn't makes sense to me. Who the **** cares? How come every time a 2 white coaches are in the superbowl, the headlines don't say "TWO WHITE COACHES IN THE SUPERBOWL!"

Great editing job of my original post. It is important that some posts are reserved for minorities, when it is a matter of working with a specific ethnic group, e.g. Somalis. I can't recall the last time I saw one of those posts advertised for more than I currently earn. I also work in a liberal profession in a multi-cultural part of London. In the local authority, over 50% of the staff are from ethnic minorities and WAY over 50% of the senior managers are white.

That's why 2 black Head Coaches matters, at least to me.

i didnt edit any of your words. i kept the portion i had issue with, and responded to it... no one on a football board gives a rats @ss how much money you make... your comment is moronic... do you think you should reserve some jobs for "Somalis" then (since WAY over 50% of the senior managers are white)? or should the most qualified person get the job?

That's why 2 black Head Coaches doesn't matter at all, at least to me

What is black, anyways? if i coached and had 2 grandparents who are black, would i be a black head coach? what if i had one grandparent who was black? 3? the terms black and white in regards to people are meaningless now; this isn't 1800. do i need AKC papers to prove im black enough to be called a black man?

Last edited:
If they're trying to get the point across that everyone is equal, than why are they making a big deal in saying two black coaches are in the SB? It just doesn't makes sense to me. Who the **** cares? How come every time a 2 white coaches are in the superbowl, the headlines don't say "TWO WHITE COACHES IN THE SUPERBOWL!"

They're not "trying to get the point across that everyone is equal."

You're missing the point, and you probably won't ever see it. Particularly not on a message board.

Why does it bother you, though? Don't post it on the board, just ask yourself the question and give yourself an honest answer.

As for this question: "How come every time a 2 white coaches are in the superbowl, the headlines don't say "TWO WHITE COACHES IN THE SUPERBOWL!"

Do you really not know the answer? If you're being serious, the answer is precisely because it's happened 40 times. I'll make you a deal. When two black men have coached the superbowl for the 40th time, I won't bring it up. Ok?

Last edited:
i didnt edit any of your words. i kept the portion i had issue with, and responded to it... no one on a football board gives a rats @ss how much money you make... your comment is moronic... do you think you should reserve some jobs for "Somalis" then (since WAY over 50% of the senior managers are white)? or should the most qualified person get the job?

That's why 2 black Head Coaches doesn't matter at all, at least to me

What is black, anyways? if i coached and had 2 grandparents who are black, would i be a black head coach? what if i had one grandparent who was black? 3? the terms black and white in regards to people are meaningless now; this isn't 1800. do i need AKC papers to prove im black enough to be called a black man?

You might want to ask black people if they think that race is still an issue for them. All the ones I work with say that they think racism is still a big issue and that there is a glass ceiling, hence the point about white senior management.
My point about the money is that the reserved posts I have seen aren't well paid. I also didn't SAY how much I was on. It is a reasonable wage for London, but not high by any means. I am confident, however, that it is more than the average black Londoner earns in my sector.
Essentially, though, we disagree about the significance of two black Head Coaches. Personally, I see it as a sign of progress. Perhaps you do, as well. Who knows?

Last edited:
You might want to ask black people if they think that race is still an issue for them. All the ones I work with say that they think racism is still a big issue and that there is a glass ceiling, hence the point about white senior management.
My point about the money is that the reserved posts I have seen aren't well paid. I also didn't SAY how much I was on. It is a reasonable wage for London, but not high by any means. I am confident, however, that it is more than the average black Londoner earns in my sector.
Essentially, though, we disagree about the significance of two black Head Coaches. Personally, I see it as a sign of progress. Perhaps you do, as well. Who knows?

Ok, i should ask black people?... I have 2 grandparents who are "black", and two who are "white"... do you think either of those people are purebreds, who have none of the other "color" in them? i doubt it... so, if i were a head coach in this game, would i be the first "black" head coach? the first "half-black" coach? i have a great job too, and im sure i make more money than the average New Englander... i have that job because of my skills, not my "color"

Ok, i should ask black people?... I have 2 grandparents who are "black", and two who are "white"... do you think either of those people are purebreds, who have none of the other "color" in them? i doubt it... so, if i were a head coach in this game, would i be the first "black" head coach? the first "half-black" coach? i have a great job too, and im sure i make more money than the average New Englander... i have that job because of my skills, not my "color"

Fair enough. I guess you proved me wrong and as such I stand corrected. I will say this, though. Most of my black colleagues do think that racism does make it harder for them to get promoted.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I guess you proved me wrong and as such I stand corrected. I will say this, though. Most of my black colleagues do think that racism does make it harder for them to get promoted.

wasnt trying to have a fight; im just tired of people trying to use color as an excuse... im very successful because i got a great education and i work hard at my career; not because of my "color".. in 1800, people were either white or black; today, most people are a percentage of many races... in 2100, i doubt anyone will be "white" or "black", but rather, varying degrees.

anyways, this is a football board, and im still sick over our last game... sounds crazy, but it has actually affected my mood for almost 2 weeks... i havent watched any espn (which is killing me)... please bring on the draft!

wasnt trying to have a fight; im just tired of people trying to use color as an excuse... im very successful because i got a great education and i work hard at my career; not because of my "color".. in 1800, people were either white or black; today, most people are a percentage of many races... in 2100, i doubt anyone will be "white" or "black", but rather, varying degrees.

anyways, this is a football board, and im still sick over our last game... sounds crazy, but it has actually affected my mood for almost 2 weeks... i havent watched any espn (which is killing me)... please bring on the draft!

It's cool. Apologies if I went over the top. I too am sick of what the Colts did to us. The mind boggles over how we blew an 18 point lead, as good as they are. I never thought I would say this, but GO BEARS! :rocker:

I found it interesting that nobody has replied directly to your comments. I suspect that no one knows what it is like to be black. I don't know, as a white English (important, given that I live in London), middle class, straight male, what it is like to face discrimination. I have NEVER once gone for a job, thinking, "I didn't get that because I'm white". I have seen some jobs that are reserved for ethnic minorities, but I have yet to see more than one or two that are more highly paid than my current one.

Dungy and Smith got there on merit. I reckon that is pretty tough for the most ardent racist to deny. You don't get to be a HC without being competent, spectacularly hard working and COMPETITIVE. It ISN'T a love in between those two, same as it isn't between best friends Saban and Belichick.

I am African American. Believe me, discrimination is something that while it has decreased, is alive and well in the U.S. Having traveled alot aboard, I would say it is in most places. For those who think that it's only about merrit, show me a college or Pro coach who says that they didn't have a tougher time getting a chance due to the color of their skin.

I am African American. Believe me, discrimination is something that while it has decreased, is alive and well in the U.S. Having traveled alot aboard, I would say it is in most places. For those who think that it's only about merrit, show me a college or Pro coach who says that they didn't have a tougher time getting a chance due to the color of their skin.

show me one who says they had a harder time solely because of the color of their skin

is there discrimination? of course. but let's not use that as an excuse. there is discrimination against almost any color, weight, beauty, wealth, etc that you can think of... it's not right, but it shouldnt be used as an excuse

Last edited:

I'm interested in your perspective on a point I made earlier: Don't you think it would be better if Dungy and Smith treated this as no big deal and simply acted like they belong there instead of calling attention to it as a landmark event? (Smith seems to be emphasizing this more than Dungy, but neither is downplaying it.) To me, that would be the classiest example of all -- treating their appearance in the Super Bowl as status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes