PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yesterday and today showed DEFENSE wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As if we didn't already know....Watching the Ravens and Eagles I was impressed by their D's. They both take the ball away as well.

I hope we go all defense in this years draft.

Re: Yesterday and Today showed DEFENSE wins.

The Cardinals and their offense say "Hello".

Watching these teams showed me how deficient the Pats D was this season in comparison to BAL, PIT, PHI, TEN, and what it takes to have a dominant one. It also shows how few teams have a very good, or better D.
Is it because most teams focus on having balance in every phase of the game, eventhough it's common knowledge that excellent D historically leads to playoff wins? Or is it more because of the modern NFL rules favor offense so much that it's overwhelmingly difficult to have a D that hold opponents to 17 or less a game?
I would like to think that rules/competition committee would try to make the rules so that special teams , D and O all have as equal influence to the outcome of the game. Things like allowing a D player to have radio, and the no force out rule are good things I hope will continue.
I'm probably in the minority, but I like 13-10 games. They are usually well played in all aspects. When I see a 38-37 game, yeah it might be exciting, but all I can think of is "Man, these D's suck!".
Depending on what they get for MC, there could be some good D picks. If they could get someone ( I don't care what D position) that has even a 70% impact of what Mayo has had, it will be a huge boost. That's what I am hoping for.

Watching these teams showed me how deficient the Pats D was this season in comparison to BAL, PIT, PHI, TEN, and what it takes to have a dominant one. It also shows how few teams have a very good, or better D.
Is it because most teams focus on having balance in every phase of the game, eventhough it's common knowledge that excellent D historically leads to playoff wins? Or is it more because of the modern NFL rules favor offense so much that it's overwhelmingly difficult to have a D that hold opponents to 17 or less a game?
I would like to think that rules/competition committee would try to make the rules so that special teams , D and O all have as equal influence to the outcome of the game. Things like allowing a D player to have radio, and the no force out rule are good things I hope will continue.
I'm probably in the minority, but I like 13-10 games. They are usually well played in all aspects. When I see a 38-37 game, yeah it might be exciting, but all I can think of is "Man, these D's suck!".
Depending on what they get for MC, there could be some good D picks. If they could get someone ( I don't care what D position) that has even a 70% impact of what Mayo has had, it will be a huge boost. That's what I am hoping for.

Watching other defenses, I've been struck by how passive and reactive our defense has become the past few years. It just seems that we don't generate the kind of pressure and disruption that we did during the championship years, much less the kind of pressure and disruption that the top defenses do - Baltimore, Pittsburgh, the Giants, etc. I don't know if it's because of Peas' approach or because of aging personnel, or both. I hope that our #1 priority in the offseason is rebuilding the defense into more of an attacking unit.

We need a Impact DB and someone to be able to rush the QB .
Get rid of Maroney and our O is fine.
With a healthy Brady back; maybe we can get a #1 for Cassell and have 2 solid 1st round picks.

Is it because most teams focus on having balance in every phase of the game, even though it's common knowledge that excellent D historically leads to playoff wins?

As it happens, the "common knowledge" turns out to be just plain wrong. Having a top-ranked defense hasn't shown any stronger of a correlating relationship with postseason success than having a top-ranked offense. In fact, if anything, the opposite is true.

As it happens, the "common knowledge" turns out to be just plain wrong. Having a top-ranked defense hasn't shown any stronger of a correlating relationship with postseason success than having a top-ranked offense. In fact, if anything, the opposite is true.

You may be right but I think most Pats fans will agree our defense the last 2 years was not up to our SB years.

Scoring more points wins. It can be done with any combination of defense and offense.

I agree, tough defense wins. Keep McDaniels out of the draft room, or let's hope he takes a new job.

Build up a new cast of dominating, suffocating elite defensive players.

We are not the soft, whiny, stats-obsessed Colts, no matter how many Pats fans lose the way and convert. We are built on a dynasty predicated on tough, intelligent DEFENSE.

As if we didn't already know....Watching the Ravens and Eagles I was impressed by their D's. They both take the ball away as well.

I hope we go all defense in this years draft.

No-Chris Johnson's loss was a HUGE blow to the Titans' O, and Eli couldn't hit a barn door worth a darn.

Not sure I can ever agree with absolutes in the NFL.. have to agree with BF that the team with the most points wins.. Baltimore beats Tenn.. Kerry Collins at QB??

Az. beats Carolina, a good d team, by a wide margin.. Manning has a pretty bad day.. is it D or a bad day???

From my easy chair the Baltimore D is sexy and will get much press, as will the Philly D.. but we will see, I prefer a well balanced team.

No-Chris Johnson's loss was a HUGE blow to the Titans' O, and Eli couldn't hit a barn door worth a darn.

Speaking of O, how about that Jake Delhomme? Pathetic, that was his play as a QB.. I still can't believe that the Ariz Cardinals, a team we destroyed, is in the finals...How about that for justice ? The Pats can't catch a break since we went 16-0...

However, I'm optimistic and am looking forward to a great 2009 season... It should be interesting to say the least, with all the Brady / Cassell questions..

I think Bill can coach up another young one... he can go 3 for 3 in my opinion.

Speaking of O, how about that Jake Delhomme? Pathetic, that was his play as a QB.. I still can't believe that the Ariz Cardinals, a team we destroyed, is in the finals...How about that for justice ? The Pats can't catch a break since we went 16-0...

However, I'm optimistic and am looking forward to a great 2009 season... It should be interesting to say the least, with all the Brady / Cassell questions..

I think Bill can coach up another young one... he can go 3 for 3 in my opinion.

Here's why AZ is playing much better-late in the season, Ken Wisenhunt made adjustments to the O and started running the ball more. They're not the pass happy team throughout most of the year.

Why Jake Delhomme stunk it up? I dunno-is it just me, or is he somehow related to Tony Romo?

I agree, tough defense wins. Keep McDaniels out of the draft room, or let's hope he takes a new job.

Build up a new cast of dominating, suffocating elite defensive players.

We are not the soft, whiny, stats-obsessed Colts, no matter how many Pats fans lose the way and convert. We are built on a dynasty predicated on tough, intelligent DEFENSE.

You're looking at it the wrong way. The NFL in the salary cap era is all about effective resource allocation. A team can't afford to be rigid in its approach in terms of team-building. Instead, you have to be flexible enough so that when you can identify undervalued commodities, you can adjust your strategy to take advantage.

In other words, when, during an offseason, you're able to trade draft picks for guys like Randy Moss, Wes Welker, you don't quibble about whether you want to be a "defensive" team or not. The same thing applies to the draft board -- you don't force your draft picks to conform to your plans, you make your plans according to what's available when you pick in the draft.

You're looking at it the wrong way. The NFL in the salary cap era is all about effective resource allocation. A team can't afford to be rigid in its approach in terms of team-building. Instead, you have to be flexible enough so that when you can identify undervalued commodities, you can adjust your strategy to take advantage.

In other words, when, during an offseason, you're able to trade draft picks for guys like Randy Moss, Wes Welker, you don't quibble about whether you want to be a "defensive" team or not. The same thing applies to the draft board -- you don't force your draft picks to conform to your plans, you make your plans according to what's available when you pick in the draft.

Great post. The reason why we're so successful is because BB is able to adjust on the fly.

Titans win that game with Johnson. LenDale is a slow pig at RB.
You know watching that game yesterday BF, I was gobsmacked by how ridiculously slow LenDale was. Russ Hochstein could have done a better job as the tailback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes