PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR - Free Agency, Trade, or Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to bring in at least three new WR's this year.

A depth FA like Branch or Avant.

Trade our 2011 #1 for Marshall or Boldin (or Floyd and a 3rd).

Tate, Benn, LaFell, Decker or similar upside draftee.

Last edited:
I'd like to bring in at least three new WR's this year.

I depth FA like Branch or Avant.

Trade our 2011 #1 for Marshall or Boldin (or Floyd and a 3rd).

Tate, Benn, LaFell, Decker or similar upside draftee.

I don't know if I'd give up first rounder in 2011 for anybody. If Marshall was an UFA I'd think about going after him, but I'd rather just hold onto that 1st round pick in 2011 to get a cheaper but just as effective WR like Green or Baldwin. I like the thought of going for a WR in the 2nd round. My personal favorite is Benn because I like his physical style of play along with his good speed.

As for the talk about V-Jax:
Jackson Charged With Two Misdemeanors

Let's say he was somehow available, would this discourage the Pats from going after him? Previous history of drunk driving, driving with a suspended license. Doesn't seem like anything major but maybe it could deter them a little. Nothing like Marshall's litany of off-field issues though :p

Definitely Free Agency: Kevin Walter and Dominik Hixon would be my key choices, Kassim Osgood also seems to have some talent and could also be good on special teams.

I might be willing to pick up Golden Tate if we could get some more picks by trading away some declining players.

FA and draft.

I'd like to get Malcolm Floyd through FA and then draft someone else. This is a deep draft for WR's.

How do you think the Pats should go about addressing their need at WR? Assuming 2010 is uncapped:

Notable Free Agents
Terrell Owens - 36 - UFA
Antonio Bryant - 29 - UFA
Derrick Mason - 36 - UFA
Kevin Walter - 29 - UFA
Vincent Jackson - 27 - RFA
Brandon Marshall - 26 - RFA
Miles Austin - 26 - RFA
Braylon Edwards - 26 - RFA
Malcolm Floyd - 28 - RFA
Steve Breaston - 27 - RFA
Josh Reed - 30 - UFA
Lance Moore - 27 -RFA

Possibly on the Block
Anquan Boldin
Brandon Marshall

Players Who Might Be Cut and Know the Offense
Deion Branch
Dante Stallworth

Notable Draft Prospects
Dez Bryant - Oklahoma St.
Brandon Lafell - LSU
Damian Williams - USC
Golden Tate - Notre Dame
Arrelious Benn - Illinois
Jordan Shipley - Texas
Demariyus Thomas - Georgia Tech
Mardy Gilyard - Cincinnati
Mike Williams - Syracuse
Dezmon Briscoe - Kansas
Eric Decker - Minnesota
Taylor Price - Ohio
Jacoby Ford - Clemson
Riley Cooper - Florida

Current WR
Randy Moss - 33 in 2010, last year of contract
Wes Welker - probably will start 2010 on PUP, 29 in 2010
Julian Edelman - 24 in 2010, will likely assume slot role for Welker
Brandon Tate - 23 in 2010, coming off another knee injury, kick returner
Sam Aiken - 30 in 2010, best used on ST
Matt Slater - 25 in 2010, will he still be on team?, STer like Aiken
Isaiah Stanback - 26 in 2010, QB to WR conversion
Darnell Jenkins - 28 in 2010, practice squad in 09

My Thoughts
I'm sure we'd all like to see someone of Brandon Marshall's or Vincent Jackson's talent level added at WR, but the chances of that happening are slim. I could maybe see a guy like Antonio Bryant brought in, but again I have my doubts.

I think our biggest need at WR is someone to line up out wide opposite Moss. A physical WR who can work the intermediate zone of the field and go over the middle with good speed and reliable hands. I have high hopes for Tate, but he cannot be counted on. Stanback, Aiken, and Slater are all more a part of the problem than the solution. Edelman will make a good replacement for Welker in the slot as Wes rehabs the knee.

My plan is to keep Moss for the final year of his contract and draft a replacement for him in the 2011 draft. AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, and Michael Floyd will all likely be available in the 2011 draft, in which we have 2 first round picks. All 4 of them are potential gamebreakers at WR who will be able to replace Moss' big play ability. Currently my two favorite are Green and Baldwin.

For the spot opposite Moss, I would like to see us use a 2nd rounder to acquire a WR in one of two ways:

1. I would be in favor of trading 2nd rounder for Anquan Boldin. I love his playing style and I think he is just what we need. He is the perfect #2 WR to be used in the intermediate passing game. He is fearless going over the middle, has reliable hands, plays with a lot of passion and with a chip on his shoulder, breaks a lot of tackles, and is only due 3 million in 2010. The issue with trading for him is that he has been banged up over the last couple of years and is going to want an extension, as his contract runs out after 2010.

2. I would like to see us use one of our 2nd rounders on a WR. Some guys that are possibly projected to go in the 2nd round are Golden Tate, Brandon Lafell, Jordan Shipley, Damian Williams, and Arrelious Benn. The two guys that I am most intrigued by are Tate and Benn.

Tate played under Weis at Notre Dame and had a great season. He's great in the open field at making people miss and picking up YAC. He's not that explosive off the line but when he gets going he's got pretty good speed. Reliable hands, good route runner, can make catches in traffic and go deep. He's listed at 5'11 and reminds me of Greg Jennings when thinking of an NFL comparison. Dangerous weapon in the open field once you get the ball in his hands, good route runner, good hands. He can also help on special teams as a KR and PR.

Benn is quickly becoming my #1 WR prospect for the Pats. He is in the 6'1 to 6'2 range and is a physical WR with great speed. He has a similar type of game to Andre Johnson where he can get behind the defense and also go over the middle and operate well in traffic. He's dangerous with the ball in his hands and breaks tackles, has a quick burst off the LOS, and can also contribute as a KR and PR, as he did both in college. He has a secure set of hands and can go up and win jump balls. He had a down year due to an injured ankle and poor team play, so his draft stock has fallen. The negative is that he played in a spread offense in college, but so have guys like Crabtree, Harvin, and Maclin, and they've all come in and made immediate impacts. I think Benn is the guy we've been looking for to both stretch the field and work the intermediate passing game, something we were hoping Chad Jackson would do.

If we do not use a 2nd rounder to get a WR and don't want to give a decent contract to a guy like Bryant, I'd like to see Stallworth or Branch brought back if they're cut. I think Stallworth would come pretty cheap. But who knows if we would want to bring back as some people like to say "Meion" Branch who shot his way out of town or a guy that killed someone while driving drunk.

Summary
Going into 2010 our top WRs would be:
Moss
Boldin/Benn/Golden Tate/Stallworth/Branch
Edelman
Brandon Tate
Wes Welker (PUP)

2011:
Green/Baldwin/Jones/Floyd
Boldin(if extended)/Benn/Golden Tate/Stallworth/Branch
Welker
Edelman
Brandon Tate

My personal preference is to add Boldin or Benn/Tate as opposed to adding a Stallworth or Branch, especially with Welker's status up in the air. A player of Boldin or Benn's caliber would take some heat off Moss and give Brady a legitimate 3rd receiving option.

What are your thoughts on how we should address the need WR? Any players you specifically like/don't like? Which way should we go about acquiring one? What do you think the Pats will most likely do?

Outstanding post, BBF79.

I agree with just about everything in it. In fact, I suggest that Bill should use all 3 approaches:
Use one of the 2nd-rounders to draft a WR or trade for one such as Boldin;
Sign a UFA such as Kevin Walter or Josh Reed, and then Sign either Stallworth or Branch;
and Use a 7th-rounder or UDFA slot on a developmental WR or 2.

2010 could look like (in order of pref.):
Moss - GTate/Benn (or Boldin)
Walter (or Reed) - Edelman
BTate - Stallworth (or Branch, Tom's choice)
UDFA - Stanback
Aiken - Slater (both = TC Fodder only)

Not sure why more people aren't mentioning Jason Avant.

He'd be the perfect Patriots-type pickup, IMO.

Not sure why more people aren't mentioning Jason Avant.

He'd be the perfect Patriots-type pickup, IMO.

I just looked at a clip of him, he's quite good and would probably do well here, but I think he'll be a restricted FA, so would it be worth it to get him depending on what we'd need to give up?

Derrick Mason
Nothing higher than a 2nd for Boldin or Marshall
If you could get a pass rusher with 22, I would be all for moving back up to get Tate if he's available. Bottom of rd 1 or early 2nd........

If Arrelius Benn has so much talent, then he should have made a bigger impact at the college level. For those who like the guy so much, why did he catch only catch 7 career TDs? Calvin Johnson had absolutely terrible QBs in college and caught 28 TDs. Even Darius Heyward-Bey caught a mediocre 13 TDs. Benn has been starting since he got there. Oh yeah, Ron Zook recruited and coached Chad Jackson as well.

If Arrelius Benn has so much talent, then he should have made a bigger impact at the college level. For those who like the guy so much, why did he catch only catch 7 career TDs? Calvin Johnson had absolutely terrible QBs in college and caught 28 TDs. Even Darius Heyward-Bey caught a mediocre 13 TDs. Benn has been starting since he got there. Oh yeah, Ron Zook recruited and coached Chad Jackson as well.

I don't know, but I do know that great numbers in college doesn't mean the guy will work well in the pros, and lack of big college numbers doesn't mean he won't be good.

From the footage I've seen of him I think he definitely has skill.

I don't know, but I do know that great numbers in college doesn't mean the guy will work well in the pros, and lack of big college numbers doesn't mean he won't be good.

From the footage I've seen of him I think he definitely has skill.

Where was that skill when his team needed him in the red zone? People think he is some sort of "playmaker", but playmakers at the WR position score. A lack of big numbers most certainly means he shouldn't be drafted early; which is where Benn is predicted to go.

Outstanding post, BBF79.

I agree with just about everything in it. In fact, I suggest that Bill should use all 3 approaches:
Use one of the 2nd-rounders to draft a WR or trade for one such as Boldin;
Sign a UFA such as Kevin Walter or Josh Reed, and then Sign either Stallworth or Branch;
and Use a 7th-rounder or UDFA slot on a developmental WR or 2.

2010 could look like (in order of pref.):
Moss - GTate/Benn (or Boldin)
Walter (or Reed) - Edelman
BTate - Stallworth (or Branch, Tom's choice)
UDFA - Stanback
Aiken - Slater (both = TC Fodder only)

Thank you, Captain. I appreciate the good feedback. I'm definitely hoping Bill will be very active in re-tooling at WR so we can add some nice weapons for Brady. I'd be very happy with the scenarios we discussed.

You're entitled to your opinion on Benn. When I watch him play I see a talented playmaker that I think will make an impact in the NFL. But by your logic, Graham Harrell should be an All-Pro QB based on the production he had in college. He threw for over 5,000 yards in 07 and 08. He had 2007-Brady-esque numbers in 07 and 08, throwing 48 TD and 14 INT in 07 and 45 TD and 9 INT in 08. Tim Tebow 88 career passing TD's and 16 INT. That's great but it doesn't mean he's going to be a good pro QB. When looking at a prospect, numbers and production are nice, but they aren't everything.
In 2007, Benn was named Freshman of the Year in the Big 10, Second Team Freshman All-America, and broke the Illinois record for receiving yards as a freshman. In 08 he earned first team All-Big Ten honors and was fourth team All-America. He 5 100-yard games and is one of only four WR's to have reached 1,000 yards receiving in Illinois history. Those stats/achievements are more impressive to me than TD's caught, especially considering the Big Ten isn't a pass happy league like the Big 12.

Antonio Bryant - if he's now a team player - no room for poor attitudes
Deion Branch - if there's anything left in the tank
Golden Tate - the Weis offense
Eric Decker - very polished, highly productive, considered NFL ready
Andre Roberts - Citadel - small school sleeper, also highly productive and consistent. Very impressive at Senior Bowl
Brandon Tate - was drafted for a reason

I think BB will sign AND draft a WR.

Terrific post BTW.

Not sure how Eric Decker is considered NFL ready when it's unlikely that he'll be healthy enough to run at the combine or for his Pro-Day. His foot injury occured in November and they gave a minimum 6 month recovery time. That is May.

Also, I question whether any WR coming out of Minnesota (primarly a running offense) is NFL ready. If he is and the Pats take him, Great.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion on Benn. When I watch him play I see a talented playmaker that I think will make an impact in the NFL. But by your logic, Graham Harrell should be an All-Pro QB based on the production he had in college. He threw for over 5,000 yards in 07 and 08. He had 2007-Brady-esque numbers in 07 and 08, throwing 48 TD and 14 INT in 07 and 45 TD and 9 INT in 08. Tim Tebow 88 career passing TD's and 16 INT. That's great but it doesn't mean he's going to be a good pro QB. When looking at a prospect, numbers and production are nice, but they aren't everything.
In 2007, Benn was named Freshman of the Year in the Big 10, Second Team Freshman All-America, and broke the Illinois record for receiving yards as a freshman. In 08 he earned first team All-Big Ten honors and was fourth team All-America. He 5 100-yard games and is one of only four WR's to have reached 1,000 yards receiving in Illinois history. Those stats/achievements are more impressive to me than TD's caught, especially considering the Big Ten isn't a pass happy league like the Big 12.

What was Illinois' running game like? If Illinois used the running game in the Red Zone instead of the passing game or used the TE more than the WR, then it's hard to fault Benn. Especially when one of the first things that just about EVERY scouting report mentions on the kid is that the QB position was a HUGE issue for Illinois.

Not sure how Eric Decker is considered NFL ready when it's unlikely that he'll be healthy enough to run at the combine or for his Pro-Day. His foot injury occured in November and they gave a minimum 6 month recovery time. That is May.

Also, I question whether any WR coming out of Minnesota (primarly a running offense) is NFL ready. If he is and the Pats take him, Great.

Minnesota has not been a primarily running offense since Decker's freshman year. Minnesota ran Mike Dunbar's (Northwestern/Cal previously) version of the spread in Decker's sophomore and junior years. In Decker's senior year, Minnesota ran a pro style offense under Jedd Fisch (who left to go back to the NFL to be Pete Carroll's QB coach).

Sure stats can be inflated or deflated to some degree, but why draft Benn in the 1st two rounds when every other, top ten WR outproduced him? TDs are a predictor for early round WRs. A lack of them correlates to not making plays on in the NFL.

WRs with as much talent as Benn allegedly has get wide open almost every game in college. So I am to believe that he is good enough to get wide open frequently, but his QB is so rarely able to find his "best" read that Benn only has 7 TDs after literally hundreds of pass attempts?

Great athlete? Yes. Great receiver? No, or at least less known than other guys. Which makes him a no for me. Classic boom/bust pick. Benn does has a place in this league. It's just not on a Patriots team that needs high draft picks to have their head in the game.

Oh, and this is a WR thread not a Graham Harrell/QBs never projected as 1st rounders thread.

What was Illinois' running game like? If Illinois used the running game in the Red Zone instead of the passing game or used the TE more than the WR, then it's hard to fault Benn. Especially when one of the first things that just about EVERY scouting report mentions on the kid is that the QB position was a HUGE issue for Illinois.

I know in 2007 they had Mendenhall who was an absolute stud for them. Not sure about 08 and 09, but I know their offense was horrendous this year and Benn was injured early on. I would assume they liked to keep the ball on the ground in the Red Zone given that the Big 10 is a more smashmouth conference and Juice Williams was so turnover prone. QB was a big issue as Williams has been terribly inconsistent and very ineffective at times during his career.

I still don't get why that other poster thinks TD's are of much importance. When you watch Benn play you can see the talent he has. From what I've seen he's a playmaking WR that has good size, bulk, hands, and speed and would make a great #2 across from Moss.

Sure stats can be inflated or deflated to some degree, but why draft Benn in the 1st two rounds when every other, top ten WR outproduced him? TDs are a predictor for early round WRs. A lack of them correlates to not making plays on in the NFL.

WRs with as much talent as Benn allegedly has get wide open almost every game in college. So I am to believe that he is good enough to get wide open frequently, but his QB is so rarely able to find his "best" read that Benn only has 7 TDs after literally hundreds of pass attempts?

Great athlete? Yes. Great receiver? No, or at least less known than other guys. Which makes him a no for me. Classic boom/bust pick. Benn does has a place in this league. It's just not on a Patriots team that needs high draft picks to have their head in the game.

Oh, and this is a WR thread not a Graham Harrell/QBs never projected as 1st rounders thread.

What you are saying doesn't make sense. Look at Wes Welker. He doesn't have a ton of TD's yet he moves the chains is a huge key in almost all of our drives. I haven't watched a ton of Illinois games, but Benn could drive the team all the way down to the 15 yard line and then Illinois could go to a heavy running attack to ensure points are put on the board due to a shaky QB in Juice Williams. It happens in the NFL a lot, especially with young QB's. The Jets kept the ball on the ground a lot in the red zone b/c of Sanchez's knack for the pick.

I'm not saying Benn is a lock to be a great WR but I think he's worth a pick in the 2nd. I'm not opposed to a guy like Golden Tate or Shipley, but from what I've seen on the field the times that I've watched, Benn is the guy I like the most. And there is no way I wouldn't even consider him in the 2nd round because of his lack of TD's.

I think we drafted a good Tate last season. He's a year past his surgery and will be stronger with a better idea on how the playbook works. I can't forget how good this kid was before the injury and I expect pretty much for him to make an impact as the #2 wr moving forward .

What you are saying doesn't make sense. Look at Wes Welker. He doesn't have a ton of TD's yet he moves the chains is a huge key in almost all of our drives. I haven't watched a ton of Illinois games, but Benn could drive the team all the way down to the 15 yard line and then Illinois could go to a heavy running attack to ensure points are put on the board due to a shaky QB in Juice Williams. It happens in the NFL a lot, especially with young QB's. The Jets kept the ball on the ground a lot in the red zone b/c of Sanchez's knack for the pick.

I'm not saying Benn is a lock to be a great WR but I think he's worth a pick in the 2nd. I'm not opposed to a guy like Golden Tate or Shipley, but from what I've seen on the field the times that I've watched, Benn is the guy I like the most. And there is no way I wouldn't even consider him in the 2nd round because of his lack of TD's.

Welker scored 21 TDs in college, but not as the number one receiving option on his team. Benn has always been the number one. Reggie Ball sucked way worse than Juice Williams (he is Benn's personal scape goat), in a run first offense, and Calvin Johnson caught 28 TDs. It really is important. Benn caught 2 touchdowns, then 3 his best year, then 2 more this year. And he was a deep threat at 14ypc. People compare him to Boldin but Boldin caught 21 TDs in just 23 games at receiver. I look for the rule rather than gamble on the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes