PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst Offensive play called

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to put up 350 yards despite poor play calling? I think our offense is tough when Brady is sharp, and doesnt make poor decisions. I believe we would be a significantly better team if the play calling was on par with our prior superbowl teams.

?

You make two good points, then come to the opposite conclusion ?

Is it possible to put up 350 yards against the #1 D in the league despite poor play calling?
No. Obviously no. And we had 90 yds called back.

I think our offense is tough when Brady is sharp, and doesn't make poor decisions.
Agree. I think that Brady's picks in our losses were a) mostly bad decisions and b) were the most significant contribution to the loss.

I believe we would be a significantly better team if the play calling was on par with our prior superbowl teams.
You lose me here - if it isn't playcalling - then it has to be execution. McDaniels isn't throwing the picks or fumbling the ball. And that is what is killing drives and losing games.

R

It's not just that the play didn't work, it's that it's such an ABSOLUTE illconceived play. The play is completely dependent on luck and flukiness to even have a shot at working. It's so stupid that even a pee wee league coach would look like a fool for calling it. It really makes you think that we've got a total idiot calling the plays and that more than anything is what is holding this team back.

It's one of those calls that are so stupid that even Brady and the rest of the offensive players deserve some of the blame for running it. Somebody in that huddle should have had the sense to say, "They want us to run WHAT??? No, no, no, no....We're not going to do that. We're the New England Patriots. We don't run idiotic plays".

Listen I have had enough of your condensation.
I think you mean condescension :) The thought of NEM's condensation is kind of yucky :D

You are right, though, those who make fun of McDaniels just make me shake my head. We're producing very well right now. 4th in the AFC in points for example. But I guess all these people know more than that lousy head coach we have about who can run an offense.

Hey the Pats won the game. We all agree with that. But that play, EVEN IF IT WAS JUST ONE PLAY, had to be the worst call I have seen in a while.

There have also been other "trick" plays called this season that have FAILED MISERALBLY.

We won despite 5 TURNOVERS. If the Pats don't screw up 5 TIMES, we are looking at a blow out against another NFC team. But because of those turnovers we are ticked off at this play call.

Hey the Pats won the game. We all agree with that. But that play, EVEN IF IT WAS JUST ONE PLAY, had to be the worst call I have seen in a while.
It's not a call I would have made. However I am sure McDaniels didn't just say "hey Brady run that triple reverse". It's reasonable to imagine that based on the defense they saw, or expected, they though from the film that the play could work. Obviously it didn't. But I bet if you got Belichick drunk (so that he'd actually tell the truth) he could give you a good reason for the play.

It's not a call I would have made. However I am sure McDaniels didn't just say "hey Brady run that triple reverse". It's reasonable to imagine that based on the defense they saw, or expected, they though from the film that the play could work. Obviously it didn't. But I bet if you got Belichick drunk (so that he'd actually tell the truth) he could give you a good reason for the play.

Actually, you can see Brady audibled into that play at the line of scrimmage. So stop blaming the OC.

Kidding!

I do have to agree that the play was one of the dumbest ones I've seen, but I believe McDaniels didn't call it out of the blue. Every play has a purpose and we just haven't found out that play's purpose yet :D

Listen I have had enough of your condensation. Maybe I will watch the next game at the vine and see if you are man enough to be so smug in person. I know you won't because you only threaten those out of state. You need to reign in your little tantrums and condesending attitude and your "good little boy " comments. I am niether a little boy and I don't appreciate your attitude and I WILL CALL YOU ON IT. If you want to back your commnents up fine I will watch the game at the vine next week unless your going to waste my time.

By the way they are complaining about ONE CALL. ONE CALL!
You are not alone, but NEM exists to puff out his chest and prove he's the most ignorant poster in the forum. I also struggle with his garbage but we need to remember that he is no different than a Peyton Manning commercial, soooo wrong and repetitive. ;)

There are indeed many posters complaining about the play calling and OC, but I don't see very many actually pointing to any specifics beyond the mult-reverse call. I need to look at the power formation in the Bears' game Bigglesworth is complaining about, but I recall the Pats running fairly well inside so it may just be this one formation he feels is too predictive...of course I'd never expect a BB team to use a play or formation to set up another club for new twist in scoring efficiency during a critical game. :D

The Heath Evans up the middle plays were a little annoying, and giving the ball to Corey Dillon in the clutch seems to be getting a little annoyed..

The Heath Evans up the middle plays were a little annoying, and giving the ball to Corey Dillon in the clutch seems to be getting a little annoyed..

Oddly though I bet you were actually more annoyed when they didn't give it to him after his 26 yard run and instead asked Maroney to take it to the house - only he turned it over in heavy traffic instead. Whatever call Josh made there some would still blame him when whichever player failed to execute.

There is nothing wrong with the play calling or the game planning. Ask the players what the problem is and they will tell you - this offense cannot execute consistently. Been the same story since August. The good news is Brady and McDaniels have found ways to do enough with smoke and mirrors in many cases to win 8 of 11. Those who cannot accept and acknowledge that either don't have a clue what they are looking at or just cannot bear to admit it. It's easier to blame one guy for the continued failings of many. But if you choose to take that track, try blaming the guy who assembled the roster. Not the OC (or the QB) who have been left to deal with it as best they can.

I'll look forward to Box's and Pats1's reviews as always. Perhaps it'll shed some light on the playcall, but even with my limited knowledge, it just seemed like the wrong play against this defense. I'm not one who's been beating up on Josh/Brady's playcalling of late. It's been a tough year with new receivers, young line and injuries. This one call just seemed to stick out like a sore thumb last night. All that being said, that was one hell of a game last night!!!!

Heath was alright, I was mostly worried about a guy who doesn't handle the ball a lot carrying against the Bears. That defense scared the crap out of me. Seriously, their defense seemed more likely to score than their offense.

I'm not an Xs and Os guy, so I'm out of my depth here, but the whole notion of a double reverse seems so fundamentally inconsistent with the idea behind the "trick" of a reverse that I can't imagine why a good offense would ever try it.

I understand those who say it's just one call, but it's still a bit disturbing to me given the situation in which it was called. That was a huge time in a huge game. At home in a game like that you simply cannot run yourself out of 3 points. Gambling loses football games way more often than it wins them, and the mantra in that situation has to be 7 is great, 3 is fine. To run any play that has the potential of getting you out of FG range is just way too cavalier for my tastes. I can tolerate some risk in that situation. For example, a sack is a disaster there too, but you can't be so worried about the blitz that you fold up the tent and take 7 out of the equation.

So I guess I have two problems with the play -- one is that I think there is a reason why you can go a whole season in the NFL without seeing a play like that called. It's a bad theory. Second, the situation sucked for a play that had a big-yard loss potential.

All that said, I want to believe that men smarter than me are at the controls. Maybe that play was designed to set something else up that never was required, or maybe they legitimately saw something that made them think it was the best play at that time that none of us who aren't looking at real-time photos can know about. I want to believe all that -- but I'm skeptical.

Brady was asked about the Q today on D&C and basically said that they ran it in practice and it just didn't work in the game - said a play like that is a risk-reward thing, and it could've easily gained them a lot.

In general, I'm in favor of the occassional reverse or trickery plays, Weis was a master at it - but that double reverse seemed completely excessive. If they had just done a regular plain old reverse, that would've been just fine I think.

Still, it's vintage Pats when they set you up to think they are playing conservatively, just going for a FG, running out the clock, etc. and then run something like this. There was just a couple too many handoffs.

One thing for sure is that the play action worked like a charm against the Bears.

I agree the reverse fiasco did'nt work thus making it a bad play call. However i thought McDaniels called a very solid game. If watson hadnt couged it up on the one yard line and Maroney had'nt gottent he balled stripped inside the ten the pats would have put up at least 10 more points on the number one D in the league. Great game McDaniels.

Whenever an offense is really good at generating yards but is less adept at scoring points (i.e. a better yards gained ranking than points scored ranking), I think it is an indication of superior talent but subpar play-calling. Other symtoms of bad play calling, in my opinion, are easy dropped balls or what players call "poor execution".

Here is an example using basketball: sometimes a team that shoots a low percentage for an entire game blames it on an unlucky day, but more times than not, it is the result of shots that are not wide open, or poor matchups, or a flaw in plays or strategy. It is the same thing when Patriots players say "we just have to execute". Sometimes bad execution is a reflection of putting players in the wrong positions to excel, which is a sign of bad play calling.

Not to sound like NEM, but I think with what McDaniels has to work with, he is doing a non-exceptional job. He has a dominant offensive line, superior QB, 2 good tight ends, and 2 great running backs. For some reason, I feel like he is calling plays randomly, instead of having a purpose behind some of the multiple bone-headed plays he has called this season.

So let me get this straight if Brady over throws troy brown resulting in a pick and watson gets hit in the numbers on the goal line and coughs up the ball it was because McDaniels called a bad play? That is probably the most ridiculous thing i have read on this board today. Good one buddy.

Way to twist what I said.

An extremely talented offensive team can sometimes turn even badly designed plays or poorly called plays into productive plays. However, it will also commit more 'we need to execute better' type excuses, if that makes any sense.

You are not alone, but NEM exists to puff out his chest and prove he's the most ignorant poster in the forum. I also struggle with his garbage but we need to remember that he is no different than a Peyton Manning commercial, soooo wrong and repetitive. ;)

There are indeed many posters complaining about the play calling and OC, but I don't see very many actually pointing to any specifics beyond the mult-reverse call. I need to look at the power formation in the Bears' game Bigglesworth is complaining about, but I recall the Pats running fairly well inside so it may just be this one formation he feels is too predictive...of course I'd never expect a BB team to use a play or formation to set up another club for new twist in scoring efficiency during a critical game. :D

Not looking for a fight Box, but I want to be clear that you are okay with 34 attempts for 85 yrds = 2.5 YPC That includes Brady's 15 yard run I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes