PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wisdom on Cassel - from a five year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
So my middle child, a five year old boy (all dude, all the time) is getting interested in football. He's far from understanding it (like me, hehe) but he makes some interesting observations about Cassel.

We talked about the game this week and Brady being out for the whole year - which to my son is approximately one-thousand days.

He asked me what the team is going to do. I told him about Matt and how a back-up QB works. His response gave me some perspective.

"Whoa, dad. He's been practicing to take over for tombrady for THREE YEARS? He's gonna do really good! And next year Tom will be really mad and get a million touchdowns."

A million. It'll take a while to break that record.

The point is, Matt has been preparing for this for a long time. He's had an excellent role-model in numerous aspects, he's got amazing coaching, a solid team and a TON of studying. We always say BB masks the Defenses weaknesses, well he can do that on offense too. If there are any to hide.

Other points I think that go missing in the dramatic conversation swings between Cassel playing like Brady 2.0 and playing like Ray Charles are answers to the common concerns.

"As long as he plays safe, run a lot, protect the ball, etc..."
In a possible safety situation he ran two safe plays. Both almost gave up two points. The completion to Moss was not a safe play.

"As long as the playbook is scaled back..."
I assume those two runs were part of this thinking. The play that worked wasn't called by the Offensive Co-ordinator. Matt and Randy read the defense and changed the play.

"As long as he doesn't get behind..."
Being jammed against the goal line and ending up with a TD couldn't have felt much different than this. That run up the field was a good example of a well run last-chance drive up the field.

"A long as he can take the pressure..."
Pressure? He woke up hoping they'd get way ahead and he'd see a little action in the fourth quarter (according to him). He ended up getting the call in the first quarter in front a of a legion fans who were calling for his head on a plate the weeks prior. He took charge and won the game with very good execution and team work. Grace under MASSIVE pressure.

He's not the next Tom Brady. I don't think any elite QB has been thought of in those terms.

He's Matt Cassel and he's going to do what's been asked of him to the best of his ability with an amazing team and the steadying confidence of the best QB to possibly ever take the field in the NFL.

Tom and Bill know something about Matt that we don't, but what we DO know gives us no good reason to be pessimistic.

Anyway, sorry to start a new thread, but I wanted to say these things all in one place and hopefully elicit some middle-of-the-road responses.

I think a realistic perspective can still be a positive one.

JSn

Thank you!! I'm going to give Matt C my support and not predict doom because he's "not Tom Brady". I think it was too much to expect even Tom Brady to surpass his performance from last year. They're still the Patriots and still my favorite team (no, I am not a lifelong New Englander). If people can't get behind the team, they should go be Bruins fans.

Consider me one of the converted on Cassel - he showed some bullz out there Sunday. Nothing glamorous, just got the job done in one of the toughest situations he could face.

I think a lot of the panic is coming from the timing of the injury. If Brady went down in Week 15 and we are 12-2 then I think the blow would be softened by our playoff position. Cassel is an unknown quantity as far as taking this team into the playoffs, but he couldn't find a better team for this type of situation.

Cassel can handle it. I've got a good feeling.

JSn, great post, and I have to say, I am amazed by your frequency of posts, given the short time you have been on board here. Well maybe it's your avatar that I has me amazed.

JSn, great post, and I have to say, I am amazed by your frequency of posts, given the short time you have been on board here. Well maybe it's your avatar that I has me amazed.

Thanks. I'm a newer fan and the story is not your usual bandwagon experience. I love Boston for a lot of reasons and the Pats is one of them.

As for my avatar... I'm a writer (not that my quick posts here give that any credence, hehe) and a first-time filmmaker. My Avatar is a poster for my upcoming film.

But enough about that. Glad you enjoyed the post. My kid is a genius, hehe.

Cassel can handle it. I've got a good feeling.

Tidbit from his Pats.com profile:

2003 (Junior): Won the Howard Jones/Football Alumni Club Academic Award as the USC upperclassman with the highest GPA ...

Smart kid....

Great post!

I have been very frustrated by the negativity of people towards Cassel. People assuming that the Pats are lost with him and our only chance would be to bring in a washed up retread like Daunte Culpepper. I know he has been a back-up in college and the pros, but he has backed up two Heisman trophy winners and an NFL MVP. For all we know, he could be an excellent QB who has just never got a chance. Of course I do not know how well Matt will do, but I wish him well. He has been waiting since high school for this opportunity and I think he will surprise many people.

My prediction: when Cassell is announced over the PA, he will get a roaring ovation from Jets fans(trying to be funny), this pisses Cassell off, and he throws all over the Jets secondary. Go Matty go!

Tidbit from his Pats.com profile:

2003 (Junior): Won the Howard Jones/Football Alumni Club Academic Award as the USC upperclassman with the highest GPA ...

Smart kid....

We're doomed, he didn't win it as a senior......no really, this does not surprise me, Belichick likes smart players. Thanks for sharing that tidbit on Cassell.......

I had a similar conversation with my 1 year old....dog....Fluffy Puppy. FP told me not to worry because, if the Effing receivers had not fumbled the ball so much, the Pats would would have won 24-3. FP also expects that the game plan for the year, with or without Brady, is to hammer the ball on the ground and take a few shots down the field. FP is good at lottery numbers too. :)

Matt Cassel has the opportunity of his lifetime. He can play good and

get the Pats into the playoffs. This would assure him of getting a good

job with another team. The flip side is Matt could lay a stink bomb and

be pulled from the lineup halfway thru the season. This would probably

end his career with the NFL and result in a one way ticket to The Arena

Football League.

Hope you're right JSn. I can't wait to see how it shakes down.

I'm happy for Matt to take the reins, the only thing is he said he has only taken about 5% of the snaps in training and we all know he has not seen many snaps in game time. Though he has gotten under center during the preseason and i'm guessing he gets to run some type of second string training as well.

Great optimistic post. I'm simply going to give it a while to see how it shakes out. He does have 3 years of practicing behind Tom with BB, and he's obviuosly stuck around because the coaches think he has potential.

"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" Yoda

Totally agree it is what it is now, to make any comparisons to 2001 to me just doesn't make any sense. Nothing ever stays the same this is a different team, different coaching, different players. As someone else mentioned in another thread I'll be putting on my pats gear on sunday and be cheering just as loudly as I would have any game day!
GO PATS

Last edited:
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" Yoda

Amusing, that same boy is a Star Wars fanatic.

Lately, I've been noticing Star Wars and Football coming together in conversation. Are jocks and nerds meshing? Could revenge of the nerds even be a hit movie now, since every QB can also program a website? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes