• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Figured it was worth starting another one.

After an execrable September effort that gave the Patriots a safety at #5 overall, they did a little bit better this time around.

1.8 (from OAK): Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
1.24: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
2.34: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
2.54: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

I just don't know about a RB at 8, unless you absolutely know its a home run, AP type

However if he is that good id take those 4 in a heartbeat

I think that would be a huge win.....It would give us the RB we need.....Heyward is my binky and believe he will be an absolute monster at 3-4 DE in the NFL.....Ayers will be a nice OLB off the edge and Nate can replace Vollmer at RT as he flips to LT with light leaving....

They got the positions right.

I love the Heyward / Ayers picks. I just don't see Heyward lasting that long.

Last night was a great win, but there just doesn't seem to be enough talent on the DL. Wilfork can't do it by himself. Since they drafted him in '04, Brace has been the only early pick spent on the DL. K. Brown was a 4th rounder, then two 6ths and three 7ths. T. Warren is also getting a little older as well. It is time to spend a high pick on a DL

I just can't imagine spending a top-10 pick on a RB. I just don't see the value in it, esp. in this offense. I think there will be someone available in the second or third round that will work.

I like picking another OT early, but Solder seems to be on the downslide.

You're joking?
Cameron Heyward will likely be a top 10 pick and you have us taking him in the second round?

Last night was a great win, but there just doesn't seem to be enough talent on the DL. Wilfork can't do it by himself. Since they drafted him in '04, Brace has been the only early pick spent on the DL. K. Brown was a 4th rounder, then two 6ths and three 7ths. T. Warren is also getting a little older as well. It is time to spend a high pick on a DL

I just can't imagine spending a top-10 pick on a RB. I just don't see the value in it, esp. in this offense. I think there will be someone available in the second or third round that will work.

i don't know about the lack of value for a rb dependingon the player. If you get the AP, LT, Chris Johnson homerun then i think there is very much the value there. But if your only getting a ronnie brown e.t.c then no probably not. I am torn on ingram because i think he is great... but if he top 10 pick great? jury's still out with me

I don't want a RB with the first pick, but (and this is a huge but) if they all end up being solid starters then it's a huge win.

I want to see UCLA play a couple of times. Ayers is getting a lot of hype. We might have to take him with the top pick if he projects as a 3-4 olb. There are actually quite a few 3-4 de's once the juniors declare after Heyward. Guys like; Dareus, Crick, Ballard and Fairley. It looks like we might be able to fill those two positions with 1st rounders.

We can get that T and RB in the 2nd round. I was extremely worried about D.Murray's injury history. But, the kid is looking good so far. Want to see this D. Thomas kid from K-St play against Nebraska thursday night. Heck, if Ingram falls in the draft like many rb's do. We could even trade up from that Carolina pick and have 3 1st rounders. I'm sure this board would crash and may never recover.

No bleepin idea what OL we would look for. Never saw Mankins coming are way. Thought there was no way in hell we would reach for a guy like Vollmer. I'm a PSU fan/alum. The Ohrnberger picked shocked me too. I had G.Cadogen and A.Q.Shipley going before him. Whomever we take, I'm pretty sure he'll be good.

i don't know about the lack of value for a rb dependingon the player. If you get the AP, LT, Chris Johnson homerun then i think there is very much the value there. But if your only getting a ronnie brown e.t.c then no probably not. I am torn on ingram because i think he is great... but if he top 10 pick great? jury's still out with me

A few things..

As you point out is Ingram even worth a top 10 pick? In my opinion the answer is...No.

Does this team really need a 1st round running back? Again, I really don't think so. It would be a luxury pick.

With a gaping hole at DE, thin at OLB, and big ?? at both OT and OG. I can't see making a luxury pick with either of the 1st rounders next spring. Granted there are ?s about RB also, but I truly believe a RB (or two) can be found a little later in the draft.

As far as 'value', I guess what I mean is what brings more value to the team and makes it better. If they could find another Ty Warren in this next draft it would help the defense far more than adding a RB to an offense that is already one of the best in the league.

The same can be said about the WR position. Alot of places have the Pats taking a WR early, but I just don't think that is what will improve this team the most. Too much of the 'fantasy football' mentality.

A few things..

As you point out is Ingram even worth a top 10 pick? In my opinion the answer is...No.

Does this team really need a 1st round running back? Again, I really don't think so. It would be a luxury pick.

With a gaping hole at DE, thin at OLB, and big ?? at both OT and OG. I can't see making a luxury pick with either of the 1st rounders next spring. Granted there are ?s about RB also, but I truly believe a RB (or two) can be found a little later in the draft.

As far as 'value', I guess what I mean is what brings more value to the team and makes it better. If they could find another Ty Warren in this next draft it would help the defense far more than adding a RB to an offense that is already one of the best in the league.

The same can be said about the WR position. Alot of places have the Pats taking a WR early, but I just don't think that is what will improve this team the most. Too much of the 'fantasy football' mentality.

My thoughts exactly. I want a RB, but not with the first pick. I'd like DeMarco Murray int he 2nd round. We need bigs and pass rushers first and foremost.

A few things..

I've been saying it for the last 5-6 years. Too much "fantasy football" mentality when it comes to drafting/evaluating players. We don't have the coach's film to review the other positions. So, we look at the stats and focus on those positions. People think you can fill out a NFL roster like their fantasy team. Oh, I need a rb first, then a WR, then another WR. Agree about your positions of need, 3-4 de, 3-4 olb and a T. Then, I'll worry about rb.

Cameron Heyward has a decent chance to fall due to concerns about his motor. It's too early to say right now but I've seen a few sites say the same thing.

Draftek = meh.

A few things..

Again... all this is early to say... but i really think this draft is going too see us draft more offense than defensive players.

They just extended TBC. They drafted Jermaine Cunningham in the 2nd last year. Ninkovich looks to be a solid depth guy. There is also a trend in the NFL that 3-4olb converts are falling every year, and for years BB hasn't drafted one in the first.

DE makes sense due to BBs history. But why would a running back be a "luxury pick?". A guard, now thats a luxury pick. We need to play this season out and see how BJGE plays, but if Ingram comes in and is what a top 20 back is supposed to be, and that is a 1,500 yard back, then it's not a luxury, its helped your football team in a big way.

Take in mind that Josh Mcdaniels, who runs an offense that logically is pretty similar to this one, drafted a back very high. You also have to take into account that Randy Moss, your most feared offensive weapon, is most likely gone next year. With the drafting of 2 TE's this past year, and with Tate and Price as talented, developing wideouts, and I'd say a back does make some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back