PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wily Mo Pena traded to Nationals

frankiesfly

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Wily Mo Pena has been trade to the Nationals for minor leauge players to be named repots MLB.com.

That was a risky trade forthe Sox that certainly didn't pan out as hoped (Pena for Arrojo). Pena has massive raw ability, but he needs at bats, and a low pressure environment to grow in. He might hit 40 homers for the Nationals, but he would never hit 40 homers if he stayed here. Not enough AB's, and not an environment that will tolerate a 3 for 30 stretch with 15k's. Pena is going to have runs like that before he taps his potential. I just wonder if the Sox should have known that before they dealt for him.

I guess this was inevitable.
I was hoping he'd be good for us
but you're right RealWorld, he is going
to need some at bats.
A lot more than he's getting.

I had posted on another thread(I think) that my buddy from the shop met him at WBC in San Diego. He partied with him at a club and got a cell phone pic of he and Willy Mo so we were hoping the best for him.
My buddy is actually a Yankees fan from NJ.

This sucks for Ceranno, err WMP! He was great friends with manram and tizzle and if he was going to ride the bench it should have been here. Looks like the nats are going to platoon him, which is stupid because the reason he hasn't succeeded is because he needs constant ab's

A platoon is less than ideal for him, but it's certainly better than the 4 AB's a week he was getting up here. This deal, without knowing who the PTBNL is, will most likely look crappy for the Sox a couple years from now. Fans are going to have to understand that the Sox are a playoff team with a chance to win the WS, and therefore need a known comodity on their playoff bench. Anyhow, WMP was actually a Yankees signee from the Dominican. When they signed him they gave him something like $3 million and a major league deal. He projected to 80 power I think, on the 20-80 scale. He truely has massive raw talent. He seems like a cool dude, so I wish him the best.

That was a risky trade forthe Sox that certainly didn't pan out as hoped (Pena for Arrojo). Pena has massive raw ability, but he needs at bats, and a low pressure environment to grow in. He might hit 40 homers for the Nationals, but he would never hit 40 homers if he stayed here. Not enough AB's, and not an environment that will tolerate a 3 for 30 stretch with 15k's. Pena is going to have runs like that before he taps his potential. I just wonder if the Sox should have known that before they dealt for him.

When i heard this i instantly thought of Carlos Pena. Carlos a good player that the Sox really didn't have room for. I wouldn't doubt to see Wily Mo blow up like Carlos did when he got out of Boston and got his at bats.

You guys ready for the blow up. Wily Mo hit a HR in his first game with the Nats.

You guys ready for the blow up. Wily Mo hit a HR in his first game with the Nats.

Wanna bet it was a fastball? Wait until word gets out that he has a little problem hitting the curve................

Pena just hit another HR. Thats 2 in 2 games now.

Pena just hit another HR. Thats 2 in 2 games now.

If he gets 500 AB's next year he could hit 35-40 HR's. He'll K 185 times in the process, and make 9 errors, but he'll mash.

yup, this guy really hits hard. O, wait did I say hits, that would make it sound like he could actually make contact once in a while! SOrry Wily Mo, I alsways appreciated the pleasent surprise I got when I saw you hit the ball.

I believe that Wily Mo has now hit 10 homeruns with the Nationals. I am sure his defense is still a challenge.

I am glad to see him doing well. By all accounts he was a decent guy.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back