PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

William Beatty in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Find, Box.

Good to know that I'm not the only guy with a sewing machine . . . :D

Seriously, though, Beatty has intrigued me for a while, and this only deepens my respect for the man. If he's there at 34 or 47, I sure hope we don't pass him up. I think he's going to be the best of all the UConn players.

Diverse interests can't hurt, either. Sounds like a very well-rounded, determined, and talented guy. I think he could be a very, very good left tackle for the next decade for some team, and I really hope it's our team. He could learn to run-block better in training camp and challenge Light for his spot, perhaps forcing him over to the right, which would allow us to cut Kaczur. I am leery of keeping Kaczur for another year, especially with Brady's knee. If Thomas, Long, and Clady could play so well at LT their rookie years, then why can't Beatty?

Nice read. Thanks for posting it.

Unless B.J. Raji somehow falls, my dream first day would consist of Connor Barwin, William Beatty, Jarron Gilbert and Louis Delmas, in some order. I have no clue how we get all 4 of those guys (my best guess is we swap 23 and 58 for 29 and 45 and then get lucky, or combine 58 and 89 to trade up). But I would have a sudden and pronounced anatomical response if it happened (your imagination can supply the rest; there is more than one appropriate response). My dilemma starts with trying to figure out which subset of those 4 guys I prefer in the much more likely case that it's impossible to get all 4 of them.

My dilemma starts with trying to figure out which subset of those 4 guys I prefer in the much more likely case that it's impossible to get all 4 of them.

Aye, there's the rub.

In my case, though, I would narrow the list to 3. I would take the best SS available at 58, because I don't value any of them much higher than that, anyway - #47 tops.

When considering Beatty at 23, I ask myself, will the Eagles take him at 28? But if Oher and/or Andre Smith is still available, then perhaps his chances of dropping to 32 are greater.

Still, for some reason I feel that Barwin has a better chance of slipping to 32 than Beatty does.

However, if the FO has a similar grade on Jamon Meredith, or Eben Britton, or Alex Mack, then perhaps Darius Butler becomes an option at 23.

As for Jarron Gilbert, he doesn't become a consideration until 32, but only if the aforementioned OLMen - as well as Barwin & Butler - are gone.

Then again, that might also depend on the availability of other OLBs.

Decisions, decisions...

One of the following comments to this article, "I know for a fact that he has never been in a nightclub"... grounded young man, the article projects him to the 2nd round.. interesting.

Aye, there's the rub.

In my case, though, I would narrow the list to 3. I would take the best SS available at 58

That's where I am, too...and then having to winnow down further for 23/34, I end up with Gilbert & Barwin as my dream team, OL (OT if good value, but probably C/OG hoping for Eric Wood) at 47, and SS at 58.

That's where I am, too...and then having to winnow down further for 23/34, I end up with Gilbert & Barwin as my dream team, OL (OT if good value, but probably C/OG hoping for Eric Wood) at 47, and SS at 58.

I'm not sure I would give up that early. I would take Barwin at 23 and see what happens. If one of Beatty or Gilbert goes before 34, I take the other, and then consider moving up for Delmas. If both Beatty and Gilbert are available at 34, I take Beatty and then try to trade up for Gilbert, and take best safety at 58.

My best case scenario is the Giants trade I've proposed: 23 and 58 for 29 and 45. Then ideally take Barwin at 29, Beatty at 34, Delmas at 45 (because Houston at 46 is more likely to go safety over DT) and Gilbert at 47. Or combine 47 and 89 to move up to the mid 30's and take Gilbert there if we don't think he will last.

Gilbert could go first round, but he could also last to 47. Kiper has him going #53 in his latest mock. As I mentioned, of the major draft gurus, so far only Michael Lombardi has him going in the 1st round. If he lasts to 34 he may last to 47. At any rate, I think I still go for Beatty or Gilbert at 34 if both are available.

IMHO there is no way Gilbert gets a sniff of the first round (and I am including pick # 34 in that group). I',m not against drafting Gilbert, I just think he has become a binky for too many fans on this board who have lost perspective on his value. It's reminiscent of how many here wanted to draft the SS from USC (name escapes me) in the first round a couple of years ago and ,IIRC, he fell to day 2 (the old day 2).

If BB wants Gilbert, I think there is an excellent chance he is there at #47, and personally I wouldn't want him until # 58 (or perhaps a slight trade-up).

At # 34, I think guys like Beatty, Brown, Butler, English, Barwin, Mack (even Laurinitis) will represent far greater value.

At #45, I would prefer guys like Smith, Robiskie, Chung, or Unger.

Around # 58, I would trust BB decide between Gilbert, Brace, Kruger

Last edited:
IMHO there is no way Gilbert gets a sniff of the first round (and I am including pick # 34 in that group). I',m not against drafting Gilbert, I just think he has become a binky for too many fans on this board who have lost perspective on his value. It's reminiscent of how many here wanted to draft the SS from USC (name escapes me) in the first round a couple of years ago and ,IIRC, he fell to day 2 (the old day 2).

If BB wants Gilbert, I think there is an excellent chance he is there at #47, and personally I wouldn't want him until # 58 (or perhaps a slight trade-up).

At # 34, I think guys like Beatty, Brown, Butler, English, Barwin, Mack (even Laurinitis) will represent far greater value.

Fair enough, we all grade players differently. I'd be curious what it is about his game that you don't like that makes you think we've "lost perspective on his value." My comments on your value groups:

#34: If that's your #34 group, who did you take at 23? :confused: Beatty, Barwin & English are fine choices, assuming those positions weren't already addressed. I really like Butler, but I'm not convinced CB is "BPU" (best potential roster upgrade) there. Laurinaitis seems like a square peg for our round hole, Mack is a terrific player but a pure center, and I genuinely don't know which of the Browns you're referring to -- presumably Donald?

#47: Smith is a fine choice, Robiskie over-valued in the scramble for a "safe" WR, Chung not nearly as valuable as a super-long, super-athletic DL, Unger: like Chung, but it's close.

#58: Kruger is a major projection, Brace is fine here after you take Gilbert at #34. ;)

The safety from USC was Darnell Bing, and he went in the 4th round to Oakland, who moved him to LB because he was too slow. He never did anything. A lot of people thought he was the second coming of Jesus as the next Rodney Harrison.

I like Gilbert's upside a lot, but a tend to agree with you that people get carried away with him. I would consider him at 34 depending on who is available, but would much prefer him in the 47-58 range, which is where I think he belongs. As I've tried to point out on numerous occasions, it is not at all clear that he won't last that long. He has great upside, but he is raw and inconsistent. It's possible a team will take a shot at him in the late 1st, but equally possible that he lasts to the 50's. I love him in the 47-58 range. I'm not sold on him in the 23-34 range.

If anything, this article presents the case for why the Patriots would *not* draft Beatty. The Patriots always go out of their way to stress that they want players who live, eat & sleep football. Clearly, football is far away from Beatty's priority in life.

The quote from teamate Keith Gray pretty much kills Beatty's chances that the Pats will be calling. To quote Gray, "He (Beatty) doesn't really watch the NFL, which is kind of funny. Being a football player, you'd figure he'd have a favorite team. I'm almost positive he can't even name six teams."

Fair enough, we all grade players differently. I'd be curious what it is about his game that you don't like that makes you think we've "lost perspective on his value." My comments on your value groups:

#34: If that's your #34 group, who did you take at 23? :confused: Beatty, Barwin & English are fine choices, assuming those positions weren't already addressed. I really like Butler, but I'm not convinced CB is "BPU" (best potential roster upgrade) there. Laurinaitis seems like a square peg for our round hole, Mack is a terrific player but a pure center, and I genuinely don't know which of the Browns you're referring to -- presumably Donald?

#47: Smith is a fine choice, Robiskie over-valued in the scramble for a "safe" WR, Chung not nearly as valuable as a super-long, super-athletic DL, Unger: like Chung, but it's close.

#58: Kruger is a major projection, Brace is fine here after you take Gilbert at #34. ;)

Fair question about "23.

I'm thinking somebody falls (maybe we move up few slots) for someone like Smith (if Saban gives his blessing), Maualuga (although I worry about his inteligence)or Jackson, or we wait and take an Ayers or a Matthews.

I could even see BB taking Pettigrew at that slot.

If anything, this article presents the case for why the Patriots would *not* draft Beatty. The Patriots always go out of their way to stress that they want players who live, eat & sleep football. Clearly, football is far away from Beatty's priority in life.

The quote from teamate Keith Gray pretty much kills Beatty's chances that the Pats will be calling. To quote Gray, "He (Beatty) doesn't really watch the NFL, which is kind of funny. Being a football player, you'd figure he'd have a favorite team. I'm almost positive he can't even name six teams."

I thought that a little too. Seems almost like a wall flower. Into cooking and sewing...hmmmm...not that there's anything WRONG with that at all...but it is unusual.

Don't pigeonhole people. I sew, garden, and crochet--but I also rock climb, do martial arts, train parkour, and backpack solo through the desert. When I get a chance to play football with my friends, my favorite thing to do is run people over. I may have varied tastes (I enjoy going to art shows, reading poetry, and watching modern dance), but when it comes down to it I'm just as rough and tumble as anyone I know. Once I took off my socks and shoes in the mud and snow because I wasn't getting enough traction in them. I played barefoot even though I bloodied up my feet pretty bad, because I could change direction and other players couldn't; I ended up with three sacks and two touchdowns. I think it was worth the pain.

Why do we want our football players too stupid and uncultured to understand anything other than football? They're people, too, not just brutal entertainers. I hope we draft Beatty, and I hope he turns into an absolute beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes