PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why there is no QB battle in NE

The writer states Zappe's success was "exaggerated" because of the weak competition he faced.
True.
However.......No mention how Mac mildly feasted on the weakest competition in his rookie season as well.

The writer states Zappe's success was "exaggerated" because of the weak competition he faced.
True.
However.......No mention how Mac mildly feasted on the weakest competition in his rookie season as well.
Zappe wasn't THAT good regardless of competition. Not his fault but he is what he is.

Forget the Lions defense. Zappe's offense was spotted 6 4th down stops and he still didn't even throw for 200 yards and only 1 TD. Don't see how the offense was any better with him than without. So I'm not sure about the "increase in offensive output".

Give Brady the same chance and the Patriots win 56-0. Or more.

Last edited:
star-wars-darth-vader.gif

The unlikelihood of a Montana-Young is so pronounced. There is no reason to believe Mac won’t start. There is no reason to believe Mac will be a perennial allstar.

If Mac shows something year 3 that suggests his rookie year was, in fact, promising, I’d be happy. I’m still in the “you don’t need a HoF QB to win a championship” camp. But you need a good cast, a good system, and a QB that won’t make mistakes and can be counted on for a few big plays at key moments each week.

Both QB’s are at different points along their player development journey. It’s too early to pass judgement on either of them, but Mac is a year ahead and nearing the point he has to play well or else.

If he can’t protect the ball they will replace him with Zappe eventually, there doesn’t have to be a “QB battle,” it will simply happen.

Both QB’s are at different points along their player development journey. It’s too early to pass judgement on either of them, but Mac is a year ahead and nearing the point he has to play well or else.

If he can’t protect the ball they will replace him with Zappe eventually, there doesn’t have to be a “QB battle,” it will simply happen.
None of us can deny that Zappe looked a lot more comfortable in the Pocket last year compared to Mac who had happy feet in that weird DC Offense.
Happy Feet Dance GIF

The chants were an embarrassment.

The Bears defense ranked dead last in the league shut that noise down didn't they.
You know Mac played in that game too, right? 16.7 Rating? Zappe had quadruple the rating. Not a valid argument.

Yes - the chants were terrible, and I'm all for whoever gives the Pats the best chance of winning, and that looks to be Mac at this point.

Zappe wasn't THAT good regardless of competition. Not his fault but he is what he is.

Forget the Lions defense. Zappe's offense was spotted 6 4th down stops and he still didn't even throw for 200 yards and only 1 TD. Don't see how the offense was any better with him than without. So I'm not sure about the "increase in offensive output".

Give Brady the same chance and the Patriots win 56-0. Or more.
It was his first NFL start and he was a rookie.

You were expecting more?

The chants were an embarrassment.

The Bears defense ranked dead last in the league shut that noise down didn't they.
The Bears were not going to lose and let BB pass George Halas in wins.

It was his first NFL start and he was a rookie.

You were expecting more?
Wait... you mean zappe didn't make the ALL PRO selection?.. ah... he got snubbed..

Wait... you mean zappe didn't make the ALL PRO selection?.. ah... he got snubbed..
Whats funny is that Zappe is undefeated as a starter.

Jones started the Bears game.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back