PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the hell did we not try harder to keep TB12?

Well its just 1 yr . Teams have down yrs sometimes. So they messed up 2019 . But won in 2018, went to 3 SBs before that.
The point of my rant was that Bill had two final chances to put some pieces around Tom, but I misunderstood the posters original point.

I remember at this time last year, we were talking about if Brady had regressed passed a point of no return. The answer is a resounding no, the roster in 2019 was full of scrubs on offense with an injured Edelman. Brady now has AB,Evans, Godwin and Gronk back and his completion percentage rose from 60% to 65% and he has thrown 40 touchdown passes this year. Colin Cowherd said it best, Rivers Brees and Ben look old but Brady is still playing great and defying time. If Bill had agreed to try and get some more weapons on offense, maybe TB would have accepted less money to stay in NE.
When will you get it through your freaking thick skull? The relationship went sour. He did not want to stay. It had noting to do with money. Look at his attitude his whole last year here. He checked out. The skill were there. The mind did not want to be. He needed a fresh start to accomplish his own goals. Good luck and more power to him. None of your stupid whining will change it.

Brady basically beat the Falcons while BB came up with a defensive game plan to shut down the second best offense (Rams) to 3 points with Brady putting up a 71 rating that night. Brady almost beat Philly himself while BB's gameplan beat the Rams the first time.

I agree with your overall point but the bit about Brady beating the Falcons is just lazy narrative.

One of the main reasons that we caught up with the Falcons after the team (including Brady and his pick six) had a absolutely pathetic first half is because the defense played out of their mind after going down 3-28, created one turnover out of nothing and kept Atlanta from scoring again. Saying it was Brady by himself is not close to being correct even for the Atlanta comeback. Scoring all those points unanswered would have been worth nothing if the defense had not also played at an unbelievable level.

And lets not even get started how our superior conditioning played a major role in the whole thing. What it boils down is that everyone who thinks success on the football field can be attributed to a single player is a bozo that nobody should really listen to. It is always the team that needs to execute and not only individuals.

1. Poor drafting left the cupboards bare. There was no reason for Brady to stay and struggle. Brady may still be here if we draft DK metcalf over Break harry.

2. Bill miscalculated Brady's play at his age. If you look at drew brees or Manning how quickly they went downhill, what brady is doing is even more amazing. NOW, I personally think Brady deserved the benefit of the doubt because we had NO succession plan. If Brady's play dropped off a cliff it's not like we are wasting a year of a young prospect. 50% brady would still be better than stidham or cam newton

When will you get it through your freaking thick skull? The relationship went sour. He did not want to stay. It had noting to do with money. Look at his attitude his whole last year here. He checked out. The skill were there. The mind did not want to be. He needed a fresh start to accomplish his own goals. Good luck and more power to him. None of your stupid whining will change it.
I keep hearing that Brady didn't want to stay but he built a new house in Kraft's neighborhood. My standard skull thickness thinks that he wanted to stay and a decent commitment would have kept him here.

He looked fine to me. The skill players around him were pathetic.

No, I'm not psychic. Again, pick up a draft magazine or pick a player from the experts boards. You'll probably hit on more picks than Bill.

Okay, but it had nothing to do with the FA signings in 2019.

Reread what I wrote. Many on the board were saying the same thing THAT YEAR, NOT YEARS LATER. Bill has been drafting poorly since 2013 with a few good picks sprinkled in there. Only one Pro Bowler and All Pro has been drafted since 2013 (Collins made both in 2015). Two special teams guys made the All Pro team this year. That's not going to get it done.

Bills win if Mahomes doesn't play. I like the Bucs.

Chiefs-Bucs were my preseason Super Bowl pick in the Season Prediction thread. Look it up.
Tom was injured, he wasn't practicing after the Chiefs game where he had his arm in a sling and was dealing with a foot injury as well. This isn't opinion like "he looked fine to me."

So you won't accept the very simple challenge to post your "can't miss" draft picks prior to the draft... hmm, wonder why that is?

Free agent signings in 2019 all had to be backloaded with cap debt because they had no cap space available. If they had space they wouldn't push money into the future would they.

Bill has always been terrible at his job according to you Negative Nancys... but it's only caught up to him now... 20 years later lololol!

I keep hearing that Brady didn't want to stay but he built a new house in Kraft's neighborhood. My standard skull thickness thinks that he wanted to stay and a decent commitment would have kept him here.
This right here. Had he been offered a multi year deal I think he would've stayed even with this crappy roster.

You do this repeatedly, say something, then completely contradict yourself. Claiming Brady went to a "handpicked super team" is obviously anti-Brady. So no, you don't like Brady, it's a safe bet you want Tampa Bay to lose this weekend 35-0 with Brady throwing 5 pick-6's.

By the way, your super team was a turnover machine in 2019 with a 7-9 record. Currently they're 13-5 and in the NFC championship game. The difference... Tom Brady.

I'm 'overdramatic' with my facts but you have Tom, Bill and Bob hugging it out with wet hankies.

Do you see the irony?

So which is it? The Patriots were in cap jail or they were in a position to franchise tag Brady at $27 million? Both can't be true despite you wanting to talk out of both sides of your mouth to suit whichever argument you're making from literally one second to the next.

At 199. Seriously, BB had no clue. Dumb Luck is all.

It's being discussed and debated anywhere that professional sports has relevance. I'd assume this forum is a good landing spot for such a debate. You don't like it because you're on the wrong side of the argument.

Who's we? If you're referring to the IBWT groupies then you can't throw me out because I was never in.

And yeah, Brady won't play until he's 50. I get it. In the meantime, he's still elite and he's still pursuing titles, for a franchise other than the Patriots. But continue to talk up BB the bean counter, see where that gets you.
How does Brady going to a hand picked team in Tampa correlate to "Brady hate?" Oh yeah, it doesn't... but you'd love to push that narrative here so the Brady zealots will feel the need to attack me. I actually said prior to his choosing that Tampa would be the best landing spot; best weapons, best chance to improve to the point of winning a ring with available cap space and draft picks. But I have a problem with it now... laughable.

Jameis Winston was a turnover machine in 2019, he also led the NFL in passing yards and TD's. Tampa has a better O-Line, better Defense and even better weapons in 2020 with Gronk, AB and Fournette... so better everywhere. Or maybe you didn't see their defense force 4 turnovers the other night and hold Michael Thomas to zero catches for the first time in his career... but yeah... it's all Tom. Do you read Tiger Beat Magazine in your spare time?

BB sent **** Rehbein to scout two QB's in the 2000 draft; Tim Rattay and Tom Brady. Rehbein liked Brady, taller, more accurate, better... BB drafted Brady. Not only did he draft him but he carried him on a roster with four QB's and moved him up the depth chart to #2 immediately behind the 100 million dollar man. In Michael Holley's book Patriot Reign written back then said BB wanted to move on to Tom before Drew even got hurt. Funny... you're searching desperately for a tell that suggests I hate Brady. Your denial that BB drafted Brady is the biggest sign that you dislike Belichick. I'm going to make a factual statement; BB drafted Tom Brady. That's not up for debate hater.

BB has to reload an entire team, Brady is a player who gets to show up and throw a ball. Comparing records is a joke, Brady's amazing record is largely a result of being surrounded by top O-Line's, Defenses and Special Team's units his entire career... who was responsible for that? Neophyte fanboys who think QB's do everything, are responsible for everything, get all the credit when a team wins, none of the blame when a team loses, weapons are always at fault regardless of how poorly a ball is thrown... you fangirls are why Vegas never loses.

fan girl GIF by Jaira Burns

Last edited:
we could have drafted his Far better college teammate who would have done just as well in 2018 postseason behind that leagues best o line along with giving us another 5-7 years of all pro play instead of a guy who will be out of nfl in a couple years
Nick Chubb was a terrible pass blocker leaving college, when you have a 41 year old QB who wants to "win now" and a team that needs a starting RB that's pretty important.

Sony understood complex blocking schemes, that's the first thing Nick Caserio said about him in his post draft conversation... this isn't fantasy football. In the real world a lack of blocking by a RB gets Alex Smith's leg mangled into a pretzel.

This is a terrible article. Brady's best chance to win another ring is this year? Drew Brees will now be out of the division and the Saints will have to blow up the roster as they are way over the cap. The Falcons may start a rebuild and the Panthers pretty much already have. If he looks close to how he did this year the Bucs should win the division fairly easily.

Also how is Brady taking "close to top quarterback dollar"? He is in a three way tie for 10th highest paid QB. That is hardly top dollar.

Then it says all Bill needs to do is find a top 10-15 QB and then maybe they win in 2025.

What a terrible terrible article.

How does Brady going to a hand picked team in Tampa correlate to "Brady hate?" Oh yeah, it doesn't... but you'd love to push that narrative here so the Brady zealots will feel the need to attack me. I actually said prior to his choosing that Tampa would be the best landing spot; best weapons, best chance to improve to the point of winning a ring with available cap space and draft picks. But I have a problem with it now... laughable.

Jameis Winston was a turnover machine in 2019, he also led the NFL in passing yards and TD's. Tampa has a better O-Line, better Defense and even better weapons in 2020 with Gronk, AB and Fournette... so better everywhere. Or maybe you didn't see their defense force 4 turnovers the other night and hold Michael Thomas to zero catches for the first time in his career... but yeah... it's all Tom. Do you read Tiger Beat Magazine in your spare time?

BB sent **** Rehbein to scout two QB's in the 2000 draft; Tim Rattay and Tom Brady. Rehbein liked Brady, taller, more accurate, better... BB drafted Brady. Not only did he draft him but he carried him on a roster with four QB's and moved him up the depth chart to #2 immediately behind the 100 million dollar man. In Michael Holley's book Patriot Reign written back then said BB wanted to move on to Tom before Drew even got hurt. Funny... you're searching desperately for a tell that suggests I hate Brady. Your denial that BB drafted Brady is the biggest sign that you dislike Belichick. I'm going to make a factual statement; BB drafted Tom Brady. That's not up for debate hater.

BB has to reload an entire team, Brady is a player who gets to show up and throws a ball. Comparing records is a joke, Brady's amazing record is largely a result of being surrounded by top O-Line's, Defenses and Special Team's his entire career... who was responsible for that? Neophyte fanboys who think QB's do everything, are responsible for everything, get all the credit when a team wins, none of the blame when a team loses, weapons are always at fault regardless of how poorly a ball is thrown... you fangirls are why Vegas never loses.

fan girl GIF by Jaira Burns
Does Bill fill your dish first or Nike's?

Does Bill fill your dish first or Nike's?
Sounds like he kicked your dog. You should thank him for all the rings and drafting Tom instead.

Sounds like he kicked your dog. You should thank him for all the rings and drafting Tom instead.
You have to be Matt Chatham.

We need to stop with the notion that Bill drafted Brady. If you want to go to semantics and say he drafted him because he was the one calling the league to announce the draft pick than yes he drafted Brady. But every serious people here knows that the one who basically forced Bill to pick Brady was the head scout at the time. Bill wasn’t sold on Brady so you need to stop with this notion.

Second you should thank Brady for the rings because without him we would have 0. Half the team BB the genius has build the last 20 years wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Brady. Just take between 2009-2014, those teams were carried by Brady alone.

We are in this mess because of Bill not because of Brady don’t forget that. His poor draft the last 7 years forced him to overpay mid level player to fill the gap. How would you justify that we were up against the cap with no talent?

Bill had no problem paying his guys on defense and special teams but he always played hard ball with the guys on O.

We need to stop with the notion that Bill drafted Brady. If you want to go to semantics and say he drafted him because he was the one calling the league to announce the draft pick than yes he drafted Brady. But every serious people here knows that the one who basically forced Bill to pick Brady was the head scout at the time. Bill wasn’t sold on Brady so you need to stop with this notion.

Second you should thank Brady for the rings because without him we would have 0. Half the team BB the genius has build the last 20 years wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Brady. Just take between 2009-2014, those teams were carried by Brady alone.

We are in this mess because of Bill not because of Brady don’t forget that. His poor draft the last 7 years forced him to overpay mid level player to fill the gap. How would you justify that we were up against the cap with no talent?

Bill had no problem paying his guys on defense and special teams but he always played hard ball with the guys on O.
Hmm! Do we think BB was forced to keep 4 QB's on the 2000 roster? Do we think BB was forced to leave Drew on the bench and retain Tommy as starter? Why is so much effort being applied to denigrating BB and his role in the dynasty? Why does it have to be all one person or the other? Sad! It always takes two to tango.

Hmm! Do we think BB was forced to keep 4 QB's on the 2000 roster? Do we think BB was forced to leave Drew on the bench and retain Tommy as starter? Why is so much effort being applied to denigrating BB and his role in the dynasty? Why does it have to be all one person or the other? Sad! It always takes two to tango.
Bill should get credit for seeing enough in Brady to keep him on the roster but once he took over for Drew the team took off. Why would any coach in their right mind disrupt what the team was doing after starting off slow with Drew?

Do we think BB was forced to keep 4 QB's on the 2000 roster
I will give him credit for that but If I remember correctly, player were already saying in his first year that they knew he was a different animal.

Why is so much effort being applied to denigrating BB and his role in the dynasty?
The exact same effort is made to denigrate Brady if not more.

Personally, I think he is the GOAT head coach but I don’t like the guy. I think he is arrogant and want to get all the credit when they win and no blame when they don’t.

he is mantra has always been do your job and being accountable but the one guy who isn’t in this organization is Bill. Never took accountability for the Butler fiasco and this year we saw is inability to take his responsibilities about his mistakes, making excuses at every turn. He decides everything in this building but he never takes ownership for his mistakes, he always hides behind his « I do what is best for the team ».

i even began to think that the Patriot way was in fact the Brady way. The more and more I see TB the more and more they look like the Patriots. They have the same coaching staff and basically the same players but the losers turned into winners. That’s the Tom Brady effect.

It's funny how WEEI wouldn't allow any political discussions up to the election, but now that the election was, let's call it, won, they can't get enough of it.
This is a terrible article. Brady's best chance to win another ring is this year? Drew Brees will now be out of the division and the Saints will have to blow up the roster as they are way over the cap. The Falcons may start a rebuild and the Panthers pretty much already have. If he looks close to how he did this year the Bucs should win the division fairly easily.

Also how is Brady taking "close to top quarterback dollar"? He is in a three way tie for 10th highest paid QB. That is hardly top dollar.

Then it says all Bill needs to do is find a top 10-15 QB and then maybe they win in 2025.

What a terrible terrible article.
Of course it was terrible. It was written by Ken Lard.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back