PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why switch Vereen and Edelman: understanding a Mayock analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Canin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
In a "Mayock's Slant" video from earlier this season, http://now.nfl.com/play/e0d5e14a-3aee-4d8f-9a9c-6b3466513643 , Mayock points out that Belichick is the best in-game strategizer in the NFL. As an example, he analyzes a subtle shift in offensive formation against Detroit (at 1:25 in the video).

Initially, Edelman lines up to Brady's left and Vereen to Brady's right. Just before the snap, they switch positions.

Can somebody explain to me WHY DID VEREEN AND EDELMAN SWITCH? Neither I nor anyone I know can figure this out. Here is what Mayock says:

"And finally, they do things with formations that are subtle, but effective. Here, pre-snap, what I want you to see is that Julian Edelman is in the backfield with Vereen. Watch this little flip-flop: that little flip-flop puts Edelman on the frontside, so when that safety comes over, he has Edelman man-to-man - but the outside linebacker thinks he's playing a combination coverage. He [the outside linebacker] is going to run outside with the safety. What happens? The best tight end in football [Gronkowski] runs down the middle unmolested [and catches the throw]."

So, what Mayock is saying is that because Edelman switch sides with Vereen, Edelman was double teamed and that left Gronkowski uncovered.

I don't understand this. Why would switching Vereen and Edelman affect who covered Gronkowski? What difference does it make what side Edelman is on, or whether it is Vereen or Edelman there. Also, how would Belichick have known that making this switch would CAUSE the error in coverage? Was that error in coverage what Belichick was trying to create by making the flip flop? How could Belichick have known.

Can someone please explain in detailed, simple terms just exactly why Edelman and Vereen were flip flopped and how that caused the Gronkowski reception?

Watching the play, I think Mayock is giving too much credit to the formation, the safety was obviously in man coverage with Edelman and the LB was probably supposed to cover Gronk, but played the wrong assignment. I don't think the swap screwed them up, the LB screwed up, plain and simple.

Edit: Ya, rewatching a few times, I definitely blame the OLB for blowing it. The S and ILB both swap positions when Vereen and Edelman rotate, the OLB was supposed to have Gronk but also covered the route out of the backfield for some reason (probably simple confusion/lack of discipline).

Last edited:
Yeah mayock uses the word subtle and basically a small subtle shift caused confusion in between two players on detroits d. Most likely if the shift was not made then Gronk would not have been this wide open because their d was set. However by pulling the safety over the lb either stuck with his previous assignment which was to cover vereen/ Edelman out of the backfield or assumed that it was now his job to cover Edelman both of these were incorrect. The point is the confusion was caused by a small shift.. Which I'm guessing bellicheck saw something on film that alerted him to this play working

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I don't understand this. Why would switching Vereen and Edelman affect who covered Gronkowski? What difference does it make what side Edelman is on, or whether it is Vereen or Edelman there. Also, how would Belichick have known that making this switch would CAUSE the error in coverage? Was that error in coverage what Belichick was trying to create by making the flip flop? How could Belichick have known.

You are right in that we will likely never know the full story because we don't know what Detroit's call was (combo man/zone?). One problem here is that in editing this sequence, Mayock doesn't give us enough pre-snap information. If we saw more of that, I am fairly certain Edelman would have been in pre-snap motion which gave Brady the knowledge that Edelman was in man to man coverage (or this was recognized on the previous play), and so based on this recognition, Brady may have audibled the flip, gambling that when the backer and safety flipped, one of them would also forget to flip assignment, which appears to have been the case.

You are right in that we will likely never know the full story because we don't know what Detroit's call was (combo man/zone?). One problem here is that in editing this sequence, Mayock doesn't give us enough pre-snap information. If we saw more of that, I am fairly certain Edelman would have been in pre-snap motion which gave Brady the knowledge that Edelman was in man to man coverage (or this was recognized on the previous play), and so based on this recognition, Brady may have audibled the flip, gambling that when the backer and safety flipped, one of them would also forget to flip assignment, which appears to have been the case.

But even if the explanation is correct, why would Mayock even include the play? Mayock is supposed to be illustrating how great Belichick's *in-game strategy* is. This illustrates just that sometimes one can switch players around against a man defense (which surely everyone does); or else perhaps that Brady noticed a weakness in the defense. It just doesn't seem to have much to do with Belichick at all, much less some deep Belichick strategy. At best it has to do with Brady or with the outside linebacker.

I'd ask Mayock himself frankly as to what in the world he was thinking by including this enigmatic video. But he has no contact info.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I would think this would be a mcdaniels or Brady thing to do rather than belichick

But even if the explanation is correct, why would Mayock even include the play? Mayock is supposed to be illustrating how great Belichick's *in-game strategy* is. This illustrates just that sometimes one can switch players around against a man defense (which surely everyone does); or else perhaps that Brady noticed a weakness in the defense. It just doesn't seem to have much to do with Belichick at all, much less some deep Belichick strategy. At best it has to do with Brady or with the outside linebacker.

I'd ask Mayock himself frankly as to what in the world he was thinking by including this enigmatic video. But he has no contact info.

Although you do have a good point there, we just don't know. It could have been a pre-arranged play, something drawn up on the spot, or a tendency BB spotted on tape before the game.

But yes, you are right, it was misleading to call it a "Belichickian move" because no one knows for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes