PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why no Robaire Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Kipines

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know the defensive line is a big strength of this team, but I'm somewhat surprised we haven't gone after Robaire Smith. I'm assuming we're going to lose either Wilfork or Warren to free agency sooner or later -- probably Warren -- and behind our big three we really only have Jarvis Green and Mike Wright, who are good players but wouldn't inspire confidence if there was a long-term injury to one of the starters. Smith is a big 3-4 end and a tremendous run-stuffer, and if I'm not mistaken BB has said some nice things about him in the past. I remember games against the Titans where we ran at Haynesworth to stay away from Smith...

Of course he may want starter money, and the team might just be banking on landing a cheap d-tackle in the draft. But if more time passes and his price tag goes down even more, I'll be surprised if we don't take a pass at him. Any thoughts as to why he's not being brought it?

There's NO place for him on the roster. He isn't the same player he was in 2003, when BB was praising the work he and Haynesworth were doing.

Because his name is "Robaire."

I think Warren will get Seymour money, or close to it, and stay.

Methinks the Pats need a part time sub at NT for Wilfork. Wright is better suited for DE sub with Green. Smith so far hasn't cut it.

A rookie wide body will serve this role. The FAs that are out there are mostly starters, and the Pats don't need a starter, just a sub that can hold his won while Wilfork takes a breather.

Methinks the Pats need a part time sub at NT for Wilfork. Wright is better suited for DE sub with Green. Smith so far hasn't cut it.

A rookie wide body will serve this role. The FAs that are out there are mostly starters, and the Pats don't need a starter, just a sub that can hold his won while Wilfork takes a breather.

Agreed. The draftniks all say that guy can't be found in this draft. Well, we'll see.

What has Smith done to show you that?

Browns signed DE Robaire Smith to a four-year contract.

Smith, who played defensive tackle in Tennessee last year, will kick outside in Cleveland's 3-4, where he'll likely be part of a rotation with Orpheus Roye, Simon Fraser, and possibly Orien Harris. He accumulated 77 stops and four sacks at end in Dom Capers' 3-4 from 2004-2005 with Houston.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=33&screen=news&news_id=55139

Looks like that idea was on the Browns mind.

We have Wright. He's a pretty good player. We might go after a DL second day but it's hardly a pressing need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes