PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why fight science?

Biblical literalists are threatened by it.

I agree and if you take your answer with B5's it's probably close to the truth. I'd also include that they may reject it because eating the fruit of knowledge is portrayed as evil. So in it's origin the bible plants the seed of contempt for science.

I don't agree with your conclusion. The Jews were and are lovers of science, as Nikolai said. It's the evangelical Biblical literalists, a new phenomenon relatively, that will contort all of history to fit into 4000 years as man measures time.

I don't agree with your conclusion. The Jews were and are lovers of science, as Nikolai said. It's the evangelical Biblical literalists, a new phenomenon relatively, that will contort all of history to fit into 4000 years as man measures time.

As he also said the Jews have different interpretations than Christians. It's the literalists that I feel have this distrust because knowledge is bad.

Nah, it's not because they hate knowledge. They're pro technology. But all the issues you mention tie into creation, where they have committed to accepting the Bible literally.

Here is someone who is considerably smarter than I who explains it better:

Streaming Media - God and Stephen Hawking: Do the Laws of Physics Make God Unnecessary? - Prof. John Lennox, Professor of Mathematics, Oxford University
Summary:

In his best-selling book The Grand Design (2010), renowned physicist Stephen Hawking advances the startling claim that the laws of physics make God unnecessary for the creation of the universe. Is he right? At this public talk Oxford University Mathematics Professor John Lennox will respond based on his new book God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design Is It Anyway?

That is somewhat silly, since God created the laws of physics. Hawking has been trying to supplant God with himself for a while now.

I'll have to watch it at home as it's blocked by my work's firewall but in general I find it fascinating. Even within the quantum physic community there's a lot of different theories but the parallel universes and presence of an afterlife in particular are so interesting to read about.

Hawking is a great example of why religions would be fearful of science.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back