PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why don't they just...

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinmunson

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm new here, and maybe this has been brought up in one of the other million threads, but...

When a team is down by 10 points and they have around 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, why do teams spend so much of that time trying to score a touchdown? Why not just try a field goal from 40 yards out, and then leave yourself with 45-90 seconds on the clock when you go attempt the onsides kick?

I've seen a lot of teams over the years eventually score the touchdown, which is nice, but then they have 7 seconds to kick/recover the onsides kick and then need a 60 yard touchdown pass and it's never worked.

Pretty good question for my first post. Thanks.
Martin

I'm new here, and maybe this has been brought up in one of the other million threads, but...

When a team is down by 10 points and they have around 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter, why do teams spend so much of that time trying to score a touchdown? Why not just try a field goal from 40 yards out, and then leave yourself with 45-90 seconds on the clock when you go attempt the onsides kick?

I've seen a lot of teams over the years eventually score the touchdown, which is nice, but then they have 7 seconds to kick/recover the onsides kick and then need a 60 yard touchdown pass and it's never worked.

Pretty good question for my first post. Thanks.
Martin

That's a good question. I think some of it is trying to get the more difficult play out of the way first, but some of it is also coaches not wanting to be second-guessed if it doesn't work out - especially if they went to the extreme of attempting that FG prior to 4th down. And you have to figure that if they're close enough for a FG from that range, then they're inside the 30, maybe inside the 25 - from that point they may as well go for the end zone and if nothing else maybe draw a PI penalty.

Conversely I've also seen some coaches get ultra conservative and they end up missing a 40+ yard FG after play calls that appear to have been made as if it was a gimme chip shot.

:welcome:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back